1.    #1  
    Just curious is one better than the other for internet connection between Bluetooth DUN and USB PDANet??

I didn't know if there would be a speed difference or anything between the two..
    Bluetooth is about 200 kbps; USB much more. But on the Treo 650 with 1xRTT, the data rates are at most 150 kbps and usually less. So the bottleneck is the over-the-air data rate, not the bluetooth or USB connection speeds. With the 700p and the (much faster) EVDO, it's a different story.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Bluetooth is about 200 kbps; USB much more. But on the Treo 650 with 1xRTT, the data rates are at most 150 kbps and usually less. So the bottleneck is the over-the-air data rate, not the bluetooth or USB connection speeds. With the 700p and the (much faster) EVDO, it's a different story.
    Ahh, ok.. So, if I already have a USB cable and PDANet, there really is no advantage of going to Bluetooth, right??

I'm doing a CarPC setup and I'd like to link the Treo 650 to the computer to update traffic and weather.. I was considering doing Bluetooth but if there is no advantage to going that route, I wont..
    The sole advantage of Bluetooth is convenience.

It is slower, less reliable, subject to interference and, until ver 1.2 (which is not in the 650), it operates on the same frequencies as wireless Internet and can interfere with your wireless router (though that is rare).

Overall, except for convenience, wired is always better.
    Bluetooth is more reliable in a different sense, namely that the first part of almost any electronic device to fail is the connectors, so if you use your USB cable daily you're may have a connector failure eventually. If it's the connector in the cable itself, no big deal, just buy another cable, but if it's the connector on the Treo that's a different story. (There are lots of posts on the board from people dealing with bad connectors.) As a result I never use my USB cable for DUN, and only occasionally for hotsync when I have huge files to transfer. Otherwise it's all bluetooth for me.
    I live in Chicago with full EVDO coverage...however i only get like 100kb/s dl speeds..and whenever I check my speed using my phone..i only get like 160kb/s....what is wrong here?
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the info guys!

I was going to go out and buy a bluetooth adapter but I think I'm just going to buy another USB cable and car power adapter to just keep in the car instead..
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    I live in Chicago with full EVDO coverage...however i only get like 100kb/s dl speeds..and whenever I check my speed using my phone..i only get like 160kb/s....what is wrong here?
    If you have a 650 (and hey, this is the 650 forum...), you don't have an EVDO-compatible radio, so you're limited to 1xRTT speeds, in which case your 100 - 160 kbs is the best you can hope for. Get a 700p and live with its issues if you need the higher speeds.
  9.    #9  
    If you have a 650 (and hey, this is the 650 forum...), you don't have an EVDO-compatible radio, so you're limited to 1xRTT speeds, in which case your 100 - 160 kbs is the best you can hope for. Get a 700p and live with its issues if you need the higher speeds.
    Just to clarify, if anyone was to go to a 700 from a 650, Sprint will charge per/kb to link to a computer, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbykokinos View Post
    I was going to go out and buy a bluetooth adapter but I think I'm just going to buy another USB cable and car power adapter to just keep in the car instead..
    If you get a combination charge & sync cable, you wouldn't need the separate car power adapter. I assume you already plan or have a power adapter to keep your computer charged anyway. One less cable to deal with.
    My bluetooth connection is far more reliable than my usb cable. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    shoot..i have a 700p..sorry wrong forum
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    My bluetooth connection is far more reliable than my usb cable. . .
    Darn. I guess I need to buy a different bluetooth dongle (I have one from Zoom). I have had nothing but trouble. The supplied drivers (based on code from Toshiba, apparently) were useless. The Microsoft Windows XP SP2 drivers -- after much futzing -- I finally managed to get working for both sync and DUN use. And then things just broke. And I had to de-install and re-install and I think I had things working again util they died. Now, no amount of de-install and re-install seems to work. And the Zoom support line's only response is that I shouldn't be using the MS drivers; I should be using the ones they supply (which were less than useless).

No one else having these problems with bluetooth?
    Quote Originally Posted by robo45h View Post
    Darn. I guess I need to buy a different bluetooth dongle (I have one from Zoom). I have had nothing but trouble. The supplied drivers (based on code from Toshiba, apparently) were useless. The Microsoft Windows XP SP2 drivers -- after much futzing -- I finally managed to get working for both sync and DUN use. And then things just broke. And I had to de-install and re-install and I think I had things working again util they died. Now, no amount of de-install and re-install seems to work. And the Zoom support line's only response is that I shouldn't be using the MS drivers; I should be using the ones they supply (which were less than useless).

No one else having these problems with bluetooth?
    i've had nothing but problems either...i can't even do a hotsync or a dun properly...i have a belkin bluetooth...
    I have constant problems with an iogear class1 bluetooth...
    Very few interfacing problems with my Powerbook G4 with built-in bluetooth. DUN works on the first try 90% of the time with my 650 + USBModem. 650 + Shadowmite BT DUN hack works fine too.
    I can watch my Slingbox on my laptop at the airport by using BT DUN through the Treo 650 (Cingular). It's not high-rez, but it is acceptable. Hopefully the Palm OS Slingplayer will work as well when it's released.
    I'm not using DUN. I'm using the PDANet proxy settings. It keeps loosing the connection after 15-20 seconds. I'll try DUN and see if I have better luck.
    You're probably getting thrown out because you have the misleadingly-titled "Unlimited PDANet" plan. Using your Treo for DUN costs a whopping $.01 per KILOBYTE under Cingular's PDA plans. So, yep, that 100k .jpg you just downloaded? Cost you a dollar.

You might be able to make your browser turn off all images and heavy coding, but then you might as well use your Treo's Blazer browser, for how crappily your surfing experience will unfold...

If you're in the mood to throw money away, you have to call up Cingular and have them enable DUN on your account, so you can pay more for data you're supposed to receive under your "unlimited" plan. Ain't capitalism grand? (Oh, and yep, I got burned by this earlier tonight trying to set up a 680 to DUN with my IBook...luckily was able to get Cingular to cancel my contract, since I'd signed up for it fairly recently.)