Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    In response to the last two posts about the battery not staying at 99% after charging - have a read of some earlier posts in this thread - the 680 seems to charge to 100% and then does not trickle charge, (and one post #54 suggests that this may be by design) so it proceeds to drop back down (probably for hours) before you unplug it. If you dont believe this, try unplugging it as soon as the light goes green. I bet it stays at 99.
    It is a fact that the battery drains after reaching 100% in Treo 680. But if you are interested to know if the drain is excessive, then before you start charging :

1) disconnect the phone from the network ie no phone functions & the unit only functions as a normal PDA;
    2) start charging & leave it charging after it reaches 100% for, say, another 1hour
    3) unplug from charger & observe the battery percentage.

My opinion : if the percentage is less than 99%, then the battery drain is too excessive. Based on my Zire72s, it remains at 100%. For my Treo 680, it drops to 96% (same drain with/without phone connected to network). In my case I believe my unit battery is being discharge excessively.

I dont use BT, IR, Emails, Internet for my Treo680.

Hope this helps in determining any other battery drain issues.
    Last edited by tck; 02/19/2007 at 03:29 AM.
  2.    #62  
    I agree, from people's reports, sometimes the amount of drains seems excessive, and I wonder if those with higher after-charging drains have 680s that tend to run down faster in standby. I barely experience any drain after charging but it takes my 680 quite a while (several hours) to drop below 99 percent any way. Your suggested test should help, or any variation on that idea. The bottom line is, if the drain/per hour after reaching 100% (green light comes on) is greater when it is on the charger, compared to the drain rate per hour when it is off the charger with the same settings, then this would indicate that the charging process is triggering a battery drain. I am guessing that in most cases, it is just that the 680 is using battery at its normal standby rate. For example, an overnight charge probably goes for roughly 5-6 hours after the green light comes on, and with a standby drain rate of 0.5-2% per hour (people would see the 680 come off the charger with anything between 97 and 88%.
    Hmmmmmm. One person above noted that they get a full charge and do well charging with the sync cable. I have experienced the full charge and then discharge while the regular charger cable is installed. I didn't notice this on my first unit, but then I did have the "push" feature in Versamail back then.

I will try using both my synch and charger cable tonight and leave it in the Versamail "push" mode.

The thing to note here, for those who have not installed battery meter, is that the green light is on, the palm reports 100% charge (even in Battery meter), but the phone is clearly not charged (voltage and charge are below maximums) and the graph/display show that current is "negative". If you remove and then re-install the charging cable, the battery meter will correct itself and the Treo will start to charge to full.

I have the battery now re-charged to full. Push is back on. Sound is off. The sync cable is connected, regular cable is not connected. 2.5 hours until I leave for work. Lets see if it does it again.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
  4.    #64  
    Yep, that is a good point - the battery meter only registers the drop in charge once unplugged. (and the green light only goes off when it is unplugged - like it is quite proud of the fact that it reached 100% and wont admit that it is on its way back down...). Anyway, this does complicate the explanation, but maybe it does not re-calculate what the percentage is until the charger is disconnected.
    You know...it is frustrating. I did the prescribed drain/battery-out-SIM-out-both back in-charge routine last night...and this morning the battery meter still only shows 97%. That is a whopping 3% increase from yesterday morning's reading...but why doesn't it show 100%?

I am giving this phone...that I desperately want to keep, another day of use to see how it does...and another charge routine tonight. If it will get with the program and do what Palm promises it to do, it's a keeper. If not, I can't. Why hasn't Palm done something about this, except provide a "patch"?
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    You know...it is frustrating. I did the prescribed drain/battery-out-SIM-out-both back in-charge routine last night...and this morning the battery meter still only shows 97%. That is a whopping 3% increase from yesterday morning's reading...but why doesn't it show 100%?

I am giving this phone...that I desperately want to keep, another day of use to see how it does...and another charge routine tonight. If it will get with the program and do what Palm promises it to do, it's a keeper. If not, I can't. Why hasn't Palm done something about this, except provide a "patch"?
    I would be less concerned with the 97% off the charger, as many people see 99,98,97,96% off charger. What should really matter to you is if the battery life is acceptable to get you through the day. Also bear in mind that many of us have found increasing battery life as life with the 680 goes on.

All that said, it may very well be, if you are a heavy data user (or ptunes user) that the 680 is NOT the phone for you.
  7. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    I would be less concerned with the 97% off the charger, as many people see 99,98,97,96% off charger.
    In a way it is true but you should be concerned too if, with the phone disconnected from the network ie Treo 680 is essentially a PDA, & your unit got less than 97% after an overnite charged.
    Yeah, don't get so hung up on one little thing.. The battery life continues to improve as you use it (my opinion; it gets better calibrated rather than the actual battery life improving), and the 680 is worlds above the 650 in terms of ram, dbcache, and heap space.

You want to give it up, fine, only hurting yourself.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    About ptunes and battery drain... Here is the answer I received from Normsoft the editors of ptunes...
    Hello there,

Are you certain Pocket Tunes is causing this? I have had a 680 for months and have not seen a batter drain. The 680 does drain faster than other models of Palms due to its smaller battery size but Pocket Tunes would not be able to impact whether the battery fills to 100% or not and when it is off it is off, there is nothing that it can do while stopped to impact battery life. If you can give me an idea of how you are testing things such that it appears to be Pocket Tunes causing the issue, I can take a look here with my 680. We haven't had any other reports of Pocket Tunes draining the battery on the 680.
    Take care,
    Dave
    NormSoft Support Team
    NormSoft, Inc.
    www.normsoft.com
    If you seem to have problems with ptunes and battery, it may be a good idea to let them know... Don't you think ?
  10.    #70  
    Interesting...I left my phone on the charger for a few hours longer than normal to see what rate it discharges. The charge dropped down to 96% after being unplugged (I dont know how many hours it was plugged in after the green light went on however). What was interesting is that (using battery graph) the slope of the discharge rate was steeper than the gradient of my normal standby slope, which suggests that it is discharging faster, and that the discharge after reaching 100% is more than the failure to trickle charge. Maybe keeping that little green light on while in it's state of denial, pretending to still be at 100%, is costing it alot of power....(joking...mostly). I'll test this a bit more carefully today.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    have anyone of you guys update the ptunes to v.3.1.8? maybe the update will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Gagné View Post
    About ptunes and battery drain... Here is the answer I received from Normsoft the editors of ptunes...
    Hello there,

If you seem to have problems with ptunes and battery, it may be a good idea to let them know... Don't you think ?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Yes, I have the 3.1.8 version...
    My battery drains much faster than expected even with the camera patch. Today, I disable the "enable background mode" in pTunes and the battery is draining at a much slower rate. Can someone else on this board try this and report the result to confirm so that we can report this to Normsoft?
  14.    #74  
    I use pTunes, including running it in the background, and it doesnt seem to give me any trouble. It does drain the battery faster than on standby, but that would be expected. When I switch it off, the drain rate goes back to standby (but I should add - I have v3.0.9 - should i be ashamed?)
    Last edited by DIG; 02/20/2007 at 05:14 AM.
    After downloading the "camera patch", and after my third full overnight charge (twice with the drain/reset/charge routine)...my battery meter only shows 92% right off the charger this morning!!!

I hear that this phone's battery gets better with time...when does that time start?
    1-2 weeks
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Observation II,
    I noticed on both of my 680's with everything turned off, radios, phone etc. using Battery.prc the 680 is still drawing a constant 10mah all night, I have compared this to my 650 in the same state which has 0mah draw with the same configuration and applications loaded.

Any thoughts on the 680 constant current draw?

Tim
    _I_ wonder if running battery graph is one reason you are all seeing less than 99% after coming off the charger. Like I said, I never see less than 99% after charging, and I keep the 680 on the wall charger for somewhere between 6 to 10 hours overnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by time2 View Post
    Observation II,
    I noticed on both of my 680's with everything turned off, radios, phone etc. using Battery.prc the 680 is still drawing a constant 10mah all night, I have compared this to my 650 in the same state which has 0mah draw with the same configuration and applications loaded.

Any thoughts on the 680 constant current draw?

Tim
    My treo 680, according to battery.prc with everything off: cellphone, IR, BT, etc... is drawing 1 mA or less
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    _I_ wonder if running battery graph is one reason you are all seeing less than 99% after coming off the charger. Like I said, I never see less than 99% after charging, and I keep the 680 on the wall charger for somewhere between 6 to 10 hours overnight.
    When I disabled (and moved it to SD card) BatteryGraph, I got an extra 5-10% more life out of the day.

It has to do work every time the Treo turns on, and with background apps (IM, Email) it comes on often to do stuff.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast