Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Remember back during holiday season, PALM said they'd have firmware updates to release? If memory serves correctly, the Bluetooth issue would get and early January fix and the other update would be out mid 1st quarter. Just curious what happened to the first of the two? Any updates or delays to be shared with the community?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131545

The target was 1Q of '07. In other words they HOPE to have a fix around then.
    Once I saw that they used basically the same hardware for the W and P 700's I sensed disaster. It reminded me of the 1981 Cadillac Eldorado with the V-8-6-4 variable displacement V8. They tried to squeeze too much out of one product. I fear Palm did too. I do hope I'm wrong though. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinTek View Post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131545

The target was 1Q of '07. In other words they HOPE to have a fix around then.
    Once I saw that they used basically the same hardware for the W and P 700's I sensed disaster. It reminded me of the 1981 Cadillac Eldorado with the V-8-6-4 variable displacement V8. They tried to squeeze too much out of one product. I fear Palm did too. I do hope I'm wrong though. :-)
    Actually, the firmware update is due out by the end of Q1, they said they would have a bluetooth patch in "early Q1". That translates to January. February would be "mid Q1", so I don't want to hear any arguments about how it's still early.
    Palm's got so much on the plate right now you have to wonder how long it will be...

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Actually, the firmware update is due out by the end of Q1, they said they would have a bluetooth patch in "early Q1". That translates to January. February would be "mid Q1", so I don't want to hear any arguments about how it's still early.
    Well, they know where you live. Maybe they can just drop off the update when it comes out. j/k
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Palm's got so much on the plate right now you have to wonder how long it will be...
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Quote from the letter posted from Palm:
    "We hope to have a patch specifically available for Bluetooth early in the new year assuming it passes through all its certifications and is approved by the carriers."

Early in the new year is a much broader window.
    He then SEEMS to narrow it down to late 1Q in this section on page 2:

"These changes will be released as part of a formal ROM update planned for
    availability in late Q1 2007. That 700p ROM update will roll in the Bluetooth patch I mentioned above as well as a number of other enhancements to system stability, reliability and performance."

He then added a back door providing plenty of wiggle room for Palm:

"It takes time to make sure we havenít broken anything in the process of fixing issues, and Iíll add the caveat again that it is up to the carriers to test, certify and release the ROM update before it can be released to customers."

So, he's saying that, in a perfect world, they'd get a ROM update out late 1st Q. He never said that an update is even guaranteed. He oiled a squeaky wheel with a corporate smoke screen letter that probably was vetted through the legal department.

I do hope for a 1st Q update. I just ain't holding my breath.
    Hmmm. . . . waiting 6 months to buy the 650 and the 700P does have one side benefit. . . . . I only had to wait 3 months for the first ROM updates!

Last edited by gtwo; 01/31/2007 at 12:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Well, it's apparent that there are fundamental flaws in 700p that cannot be patched up or fixed easily. In Palm's response it reiterates over and over that even with the ROM update a lot of problems such as skipped music will not be solved completely but alleviated.

We have to prepare that once the new ROM update is out, we'll see more flames in here than before. Why? Because the ROM update only alleviates the problems, not fixing them.

I've learnt to appreciate the less than 100% Treo and enjoy the converged device experience with true 1-hand support. Hopefully Palm has learnt from the mistakes and come up with a Treo 800p/w/whatever that truly fixes all the issues.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinTek View Post
    Quote from the letter posted from Palm:
    "We hope to have a patch specifically available for Bluetooth early in the new year assuming it passes through all its certifications and is approved by the carriers."
    One has to wonder how the original bluetooth stack on the 700p passed these so-called "certifications" to begin with. And his wording in his letter implies that there will be a specific bluetooth patch BEFORE the firmware update, and that the firmware update will incorporate it in much the same way it worked on the 650 with the E911 patch.
    One has to wonder how the original bluetooth stack on the 700p passed these so-called "certifications" to begin with. And his wording in his letter implies that there will be a specific bluetooth patch BEFORE the firmware update, and that the firmware update will incorporate it in much the same way it worked on the 650 with the E911 patch.
    While testing methodologies can account for a lot, they very rarely get "real enough" to account for everything. Some things are missed, and there is an expected threshold on what will be taken now, and what has to take a backseat. Its a constant battle between client wants, company wishes, and developer deliverables. In the sense of a hardware product like a phone that has several levels of testing and wishes, what can be delivered has to sometimes happen in steps. It does mean that we should probably be a bit more careful with purchasing the first of a lot, but it also means that there is an expected uptake of QoS that should be expected. When dates that are firm have been missed, then we can chide Palm, but not before, and certainly not because we are having issues that we could have waited for a later device or update before purchasing to alleviate.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    "but not before, and certainly not because we are having issues that we could have waited for a later device or update before purchasing to alleviate."

First, the 700P is not the first. There was the 600 and the 650. If you talked about the W I could understand your point of view.

Second, what would I be alleviating by purchasing? As with a few other sections of your post, (testing and wishes???) I got the impression that you pressed the send button without reading what you wrote. I think I'll skip reading MMM.
    As wieird as this sounds, I think they said they would "have" a patch but they didn't say they'd release that patch. Maybe they meant they'd "have" a patch internally, that the carriers could test, for projected release near the end of Q1.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Well, as much as I like the *idea* of the Treo, this thing has gotten less and less reliable with each passing week. This afternoon it crashed hard twice, forcing a restart; for a phone, that's just inexcusable.

Palm's loyal user base is going to quickly disappear because of 3 things:

1) their slow response to known issues with the Treo 700p
    2) the release in June (now rumored to be even earlier) of the Apple iPhone
    3) other companies' nibbling at their backsides with devices that aren't so crash-prone.

While I do enjoy the ability to customize my Treo, I tend to believe that this customization is part of the the reason for the Treo's instability. However, it seems that people have had crashing problems with Treos that don't contain anything more than the factory software, so who knows...

At any rate, I have no doubt that the constant problems with Treos influenced Apple's decision to lock down the iPhone and not open it to 3rd-party software. At least with the iPhone there will be no doubt where any problems, if any, originate.

At this point, as much as I like the ability to mix and match the software i put on my Treo, I think I'll be okay with a device that doesn't give me that option, so long as it's not crashing every time I try to use the browser or do something as simple as answer the phone.

I'm counting down the days until the iPhone is released and will buy one as soon as it's available; I suspect there will be great deals to be had on used Treos in June.

An increasingingly disappointed Treo owner,

Bob
    Bob,

So many of us ex-treo user agree. I have sent back two 700p's and one 700w. I was just so fed up, I switched to a Blackberry 8703e, and less the multimedia stuff, it is the best rock solid e-mail, operating system, phone I have used yet!!
    You guys will never find a 100% stable phone. Not anymore at least. The only stable device I've ever had was my old Nokia 5120. Every phone I've had since then has had bugs. They've all occasionally restarted- the other Nokias, the Motos, the Sanyo, the Sidekick, etc. Even my PDA's restart sometimes. It is a natural side effect of a feature-rich device. Do you complain b/c your PC can't run for months & months w/o having to be rebooted? B/c its no different with a treo. These are little computers, people, not regular cell phones.

I completely understand your exasperation when it restarts every time you go to answer it, that IS unacceptable. However, the occasional reset is NOT that big a deal & I wish everyone would just chill out. Maybe I just have magic fingers or something, but my treo has about 99.5% uptime & is nearly rock-solid. No problems with versamail, minimal lags, and bluetooth is fine. And I have about 90 apps installed, all running in perfect harmony. I honestly do not get what people are SO mad about.

if you hate it so much, then by all means, switch to a different device & stop clogging up the forums with "I hate my Treo!" threads.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    And another thing- I'm content to wait for the ROM update. Why? B/c I want them to take the time to test it to death so that it works right for us!
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    And another thing- I'm content to wait for the ROM update. Why? B/c I want them to take the time to test it to death so that it works right for us!
    You mean like when they took 6 months to beta test the phone to death to ensure it didn't launch with any bugs? We all know how well that worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Hopefully Palm has learnt from the mistakes and come up with a Treo 800p/w/whatever that truly fixes all the issues.
    Will you buy one? I sure as hell won't! I'm done with the Treo after the 700p.
    I am sick of being Palms guinea pig at MY EXPENSE.

PALM CAN BITE ME!
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    That's fine and dandy but by the time they release it *cough*cough* the 800 will be ready and time to pony up some major coin. Not on my watch!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast