1.    #1  
    I just ordered a used but like new one on ebay for my verizon service after reading up on it and deciding to take a chance cause Im sick of flip phones and I cant have an SE...so after reading hundreds of user and company reviews for the 650 I honestly don't remember reading one that mentions of having NO problems with freezing/resetting or whatever that one main problem that occurs is. Can anyone shed some light on this? Or can any 650 be perfectly fine as long as you keep any aftermarket apps off of it that specifically cause resets? Cause I've read that even ones with fully factory settings and apps only still have resets often. I mean does every single 650 have this problem even with the newest update? It sounds ridiculous, if that is true, then how can you even own a verizon PDA phone that doesnt have problems? I dont know of too many others (and dont want a BB or Q). Thanks

edit: and because of these reviews Ive been constantly reading, Ive never been more worried in my life to get a phone! Jesus
    ..and also, i don't plan on even using the internet browser on it...strictly just cell phone, cam, and other main apps only along with a few 3rd party ones
    Last edited by guts311; 01/30/2007 at 05:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I picked up a used Treo 650 a couple months ago and have not had a single reset. I had a treo 600 and a Kyocera 7135 and they were always resetting.

I just installed the newest update and so far so good. I also have alot of apps on it.
    Not sure why some have a reset problem and some don't. Good luck.
  3.    #3  
    thanks, at least theres some hope for it lol...i know that resetting problems can probably be avoided or fixed by getting rid of certain apps..but what about those ppl that say they have restarts often with NO added apps or anything? I mean those cases sound hopeless..
    You'll find a lot of folks on this board with stable Treo 650s (I'm one.) Even when I run GPS (Garmin) and mp3s (PocketTunes) in the background, and use resource-hungry applications like Blazer in the foreground, I very rarely get resets. The trick seems to be to have the right combination of applications that play nicely together. A lot of folks say VersaMail is a sure-fire resetter; I wouldn't know since I never use it, in fact I deleted it from my custom ROM.

One of the real advantages of the older 650 compared to the 680 or 700p is that there are lots of unofficial customizations possible - mmastrac's custom ROM tool is just awesome. Also there are hacks and/or free programs to do almost anything imaginable.
  5.    #5  
    sounds good but once again, what about those people who still have random resets even with no 3rd party apps on? That's a whole other story right? i really really hope thats not a problem with mine..oh boy im worried haha,

also is it easy to dial numbers on the on-screen keypad with your finger? (not fingernail or stylus?) cause i think it's a very cool feature.
    also, there's a drawing program for the stylus like old palms right? i know u can get graffiti with an app, but how bout those freestyle drawing/notepad screen from old palms?
    Quote Originally Posted by guts311 View Post
    also is it easy to dial numbers on the on-screen keypad with your finger? (not fingernail or stylus?) cause i think it's a very cool feature.
    also, there's a drawing program for the stylus like old palms right? i know u can get graffiti with an app, but how bout those freestyle drawing/notepad screen from old palms?
    I find it difficult to dial with the keypad and my fingers aren't that big nor I am particularly clumsy. I use VoiceDial by VoiceSignal for most calls (no training required - and it REALLY WORKS - so worth the $20) or from the phone app type the first few letters of the first or last name of the contact, then select from the list that gets smaller the more letters I type.

For drawing: NotePad or MoePaint. The latter is a very sophisticated yet free program.
  7.    #7  
    so for someone who really wants to be able to use the on-screen dialing, its not gonna work that well? Ive never actually used a 650 yet, so i have no clue what itll be like..i guess if the digital buttons arent too small it should work fine.
    The virtual buttons are big enough. The problem is that since the keypad is flat, unlike raised buttons there's no sense of when you're pushing the right key or not. It's no big deal if you can focus on the keypad and see what you're doing, but when you're driving it's difficult.

You also have rows of "favorites" below the keypad which you can easily navigate to and select using the 5-way button. So you have at least 4 ways to dial a phone number, of which using the virtual keypad is by far the least satisfactory.
    Well, I've had my Verizon 650 for over a year now, with all sorts of aftermarket apps (utilities, reference apps, chatter, etc. etc.) and I continue to love it, and I don't think I have this reset problem. Sure, my treo resets once in a while, occasionally at annoying times (like when trying to make a call), but this happens so infrequently (once every two weeks maybe?) that it's really not a problem. I would say if your phone is doing this really badly, it's something wrong with the specific phone. Perhaps a firmware update and *22899 are in order.