1.    #1  
    Well, I may sell my unlocked unbranded 650 and pick myself up a 680. Due to the larger internal memory, and color options.

I'm a STRONG PALM OS user, that's why I'm not even looking in the 750's direction. Does anyone know if these programs will work with the 680?

4cast
    launcher x and the regular 650 skins
    verichat 2.89b
    xino
    Dir Assist
    font smoother
    treo alarm
    monopoly and various other games (zap, tetirs, sea war, etc..)

If someone could give me some yes and no answers that would be fantastic.

I take it the 680 has the usual stock programs (versamail, etc.) correct?

thank you
  2.    #2  
    also, if i buy an unbranded one on palm.com for $399.99.. that will NOT have a cingular log on it correct or a cingular splash screen?
    i thought you were talking about the switch for silent on top

that thing is hard to switch. im afraid im going to break it every day when i switch it
  4.    #4  
    no no, the switch from a 650 to a 680 my friend
    No Cingular logos. LauncherX works, Tou need to have the latest release from GoTreo. Memory was the main reason for my switch. It is much much more stable. The battery is smaller but it is not as bad as it seems from the posts. I do not regret my change.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

The memory, dbcache, and heap space are amazing. It's also nicer to hold in the hand, much lighter, nicer screen, nicer keyboard, smoother lines. Honestly I laughed when people said they liked having the antenna to pull it out of their case, but I'm sorta there too.. I push it up out of my horizontal case and it's kinda hard to securely grab onto it. But that's a quibble, and a minor one.

All those programs will work.. Just make sure to get the latest versions. What I did was updated all the versions on my 650, made sure they were all working, then made a backup with Resco Explorer, then restored it to the 680. Not recommended by some folks, but worked well for me, and no reconfiguration.
  7.    #7  
    sounds good. Does the LED on the front blink green when there's service and red when there's not like the 650 ? I read somewhere that the LED didnt do that anymore on the 680. Since verichat isnt out anymore it looks like sadly enough I'll have to go with IM+

The 680 only has one row of favorite buttons as well on the home screen opposed the 2/4 setup the 650 has correct?

Also, is the layout and look of the OS nearly the same as it is on the 650?

also, what is dbcache and heap space? thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84 View Post
    sounds good. Does the LED on the front blink green when there's service and red when there's not like the 650 ? I read somewhere that the LED didnt do that anymore on the 680. Since verichat isnt out anymore it looks like sadly enough I'll have to go with IM+

The 680 only has one row of favorite buttons as well on the home screen opposed the 2/4 setup the 650 has correct?

Also, is the layout and look of the OS nearly the same as it is on the 650?

also, what is dbcache and heap space? thanks
    No LED flash - kinda miss that myself
    I have VC working until my sub expires....
    Favs - yes correct
    Layout has a little different feel - no worries though, you'll get use to it.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  9.    #9  
    so what's the point of having an LED uptop then? does it flash for any sort of reason?
    the LED flashes red for me when I am not in service, and it stays solid green if I have an alert pending
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    LED shows charging by color. Apps can access it also. CallRec flashes while calls or VR are recording. I actually prefer the new LED arrangement. The old one was unrefined and lit up me entire room at night flashing while I'm trying to sleep. Many times I would lay the 650 on it's face, and even loaded LEDOff to deal with the overbright beast. Although it was good for daytime attention getting in some apps as you state.

680 is like night and day compared to the 650 for me. Everything is significantly better even tho the spec sheet is nearly the same. The new BT is quirky tho, when the 650s was bulletproof for me. Still the stupid 2.5mm on a BT enabled phone in 2007. Go figure?

Actually, I really like the CNG grey color a lot too.

Once Seidio releases the 1600+mah OEM size battery, it will be complete for me.
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    While I won't be totally happy till I get to mod my own 680 ROM image, overall, the 680 is working well. The new keyboard is quite nice, typing this post on it right now! Having a Treo in a color is cool, mine is Crimson. Havong almost 70mb of ram is awesome! I can store so much stuff. Also, the 680 really doesn't crash any where near as often as my twice daily resets on the 650. And, the hidden SD card is a nice touch, no chance of losing it or having it pop out in the case.

Buy the 680, you won't regret it.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  13.    #13  
    just ordered one on palm.com

how diffeent does the keyboard feel opposed to the 650? it looks almost like the buttons have a bit more space between them and are flatter and not so "pointed" like the 650s.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    While I won't be totally happy till I get to mod my own 680 ROM image, overall, the 680 is working well. The new keyboard is quite nice, typing this post on it right now! Having a Treo in a color is cool, mine is Crimson. Havong almost 70mb of ram is awesome! I can store so much stuff. Also, the 680 really doesn't crash any where near as often as my twice daily resets on the 650. And, the hidden SD card is a nice touch, no chance of losing it or having it pop out in the case.

Buy the 680, you won't regret it.
    Amen.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM