1.    #1  
    I am hoping someone can help me out here, in English. I've been a Treo user forever (600, 650, and 700p) and have used Goodlink, Chatter, etc. But I just took a new job at a large corporation that does not have Goodlink and all email is secure and hosted through Microsoft Exchange. There is no webmail access and the only way to get your email from another computer (other than your desk or laptop) is through Citrix, using a remote desktop connection -- requires an RSA token and downloading of software to the computer. So can't even get email through Blazer.

They gave me a Blackberry which I hate -- it is so much slower and harder to navigate email than the Treo. Blackberry Connect is not out for the 700p so that's not an option.

Right now I am carrying two devices and it stinks.

I saw the link about Microsoft Exchagne ActiveSync but not sure that would work for me. Business Connect is not an option (my laptop is rarely on at the office).

Any ideas? Surely in this day and age there is a solution.
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but no, there probably is no solution with respect to the way you want to connect. The simple answer is this: your company has locked down their system in such a way as to completely block any access except for Blackberry access through a BES.

As someone who works in a corporate IT department, I can tell you that while it is very frustrating when you want greater flexibility, it is a rational decision that many IT divisions reach. I am fortunate to have a scenario where they take the opposite approach. Our servers are made for maximum connectivity and the team that monitors the server watches it like a hawk. But I am also not surprised.

The business connect solution (re-director based option) is probably your best bet, however unwieldy it may actually be.
    Yes SteveNYC is correct. The only way around this is to use either a carrier's desktop (re-director ) like Sprints Business Connect or Nokia's - Intellisync Mobile Suite. These work very well but you will need a computer on the inside to be on all of the time.
    Microsoft offers a free redirector called "outlook mobile manager" that works great. You can have it send you all email or you can train it to send only things that you think are important.
    I have the same problem. I'm currently auto-forwarding emails from Outlook to my IMAP addy until I find something better.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by serchend View Post
    Microsoft offers a free redirector called "outlook mobile manager" that works great. You can have it send you all email or you can train it to send only things that you think are important.
    This looks very promising, thanks. Not a perfect solution but a huge help.
    Your Blackberry is slower than your Treo?

There must be something wrong with your Blackberry.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ceebz View Post
    Your Blackberry is slower than your Treo?

There must be something wrong with your Blackberry.
    I've had 2 different blackberries with 2 different companies and neither was as fast as Treo with Chattermail and IMAP.

But more annoying is the navigation of email. Opening email and deleting known spam, etc., on a blackberry takes forever compared to Treo with Chattermail. BB is hooked on the click-wheel, which is pretty much only good for Brickbreaker, IMO. The treo 5-way navigation and use of shortcut keys is a much better way to go. BB has shortcuts but they are only available after you highlight the message and click on it.
    FYI: If you're using Sprint, I would certainly echo earlier comments, and recommend Sprint's Business Connect (Personal Edition). As long as you can leave a PC on full-time behind your company's firewall, it works very well in terms of email, calendar (downloading & scheduling new appts.), download attachments with Exchange. Been using it for a few years now. Certainly more powerful than the Outlook Mobile Manager offering from Microsoft.
    Just started testing Outlook Mobile Manager. So far it looks very promising.

Thanks serchend!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc View Post
    I've had 2 different blackberries with 2 different companies and neither was as fast as Treo with Chattermail and IMAP.

But more annoying is the navigation of email. Opening email and deleting known spam, etc., on a blackberry takes forever compared to Treo with Chattermail. BB is hooked on the click-wheel, which is pretty much only good for Brickbreaker, IMO. The treo 5-way navigation and use of shortcut keys is a much better way to go. BB has shortcuts but they are only available after you highlight the message and click on it.
    Wrong. You need to do some more research about your Blackberry. I've found Blackberry shortcuts to be by far, the easiest to use on any smartphone. I suggest you take a look at blackberryforums.com and search for shortcuts. There are a myriad of keyboard shorcuts; I hardly ever pushed the trackwheel when I had my berry.

And what do you mean by opening and deleting email on the Treo is faster than on the Berry? How hard is it to press enter or delete on the keyboard?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Just started testing Outlook Mobile Manager. So far it looks very promising.

Thanks serchend!!!
    I now realize you need to have your computer running, which basically makes it the same as Business Connect, etc. Bummer...
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    The business connect option looks like your only real choice. I was in the same boat as you are with respect to being in a company that locks everything down.
    Here are 2 separate solutions you might want to try....

1. Can you access your company email at home via VPN or something similar? If so, you can load business connect and your vpn access on your home pc. Then you are good to go.

2. Can you get a second OLD pc from your work to leave up and running in your office, or can you bring in a personal PC and put it on your companies network to host business connect.

I ended up using a very very old P2 laptop that sits literally in a drawer. It has an old wireless card. All I did was run power into it, and loaded w2k with my lotus mail software and business connect. All it does is sit there 24/7