1.    #1  
    This is just an FYI to everyone who uses my two sites www.mobetube.com and www.mgvids.com

As you probably know, Google bought youtube some time ago and has been operating it pretty much separately for the past few months.

However, there have been some recent changes in the interface of google video and youtube, as Google moves video hosting to Youtube and reformats Google Video into more of a search-engine type thing.

This has caused some problems with the PHP code on the sites I maintain. I don't have the time to keep up with all the changes, so there may be some strange behavior or downtime in the next week or so. Some links may not work or you may experience various odd behavior of the sites.

Once the final format Google is going to use becomes more apparent I will try to revamp the code and get it out on the server.

Apologies in advance.
    Thanks for all your hard work. In case you haven't seen this (which confirms what you just said):

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/070125-120533
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    A thanks from me as well. Your two sites brings an added level of use we didn't have before.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Yes..thank you!!
  5.    #5  
    Just updated it today to account for a change in the way google video hosted files were linked. Fixes bug which was sending people to google video full.

Right now:

Google Video Files: Work (or seem to)

Youtube:

Missing some thumbnails (working on it. For some reason a few use different naming conventions)

Some of the Youtube subpages do not work fully

Now I have some questions for everyone to weigh in on:

Google video: I don't show coments or links to other videos by the same user or some of the other content because I am trying to strip down the interface to make it work well in the limited amount of screen real estate and to make the interface more streamlined.

Does anyone really miss these or feel like they should be included?

Does anyone feel a need for Google Video browsing? Such as categories or featured content? Most of that seems pretty useless to me and would roughly double the coding for the page, but if it's really warented...

And for Youtube:

How do you find content? Right now, Search seems to work best. Do you use the "community" or "categories" or "groups" interface much?

Also, the mobile youtube page does not allow for subscribing, commenting or rating videos. This is primarily because these activities require you to sign in with an account and password. The way their security works would make it difficult to implement this, because all the connections pass through my server, which does the work of reformatting the interface and building the pages.

Do people really miss this feature? If so, I can try to do some sort of pass-through, but it may require some extra steps, such as re-signing in each time a new comment is posted, or alternatively the use of cookies (which complicates things even more)

I've also been thinking of a local playlist feature for Youtube. Basically you would select the videos you want to watch and instead of saying "play" you click "add to list"

Once you have a playlist of the videos you are interested in, you hit Play and send the whole thing to Kinoma, thus allowing you to skip between clips without restarting the browser each time. Anyone really want this?

Note: It may be some time before I can add all these features
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Buzz0 View Post
    Just updated it today to account for a change in the way google video hosted files were linked. Fixes bug which was sending people to google video full.

Right now:

Google Video Files: Work (or seem to)

Youtube:

Missing some thumbnails (working on it. For some reason a few use different naming conventions)

Some of the Youtube subpages do not work fully

Google video: I don't show coments or links to other videos by the same user or some of the other content because I am trying to strip down the interface to make it work well in the limited amount of screen real estate and to make the interface more streamlined.

Does anyone feel a need for Google Video browsing? Such as categories or featured content? Most of that seems pretty useless to me and would roughly double the coding for the page, but if it's really warented...

And for Youtube:

How do you find content? Right now, Search seems to work best. Do you use the "community" or "categories" or "groups" interface much?

Also, the mobile youtube page does not allow for subscribing, commenting or rating videos. This is primarily because these activities require you to sign in with an account and password. The way their security works would make it difficult to implement this, because all the connections pass through my server, which does the work of reformatting the interface and building the pages.

Do people really miss this feature? If so, I can try to do some sort of pass-through, but it may require some extra steps, such as re-signing in each time a new comment is posted, or alternatively the use of cookies (which complicates things even more)

I've also been thinking of a local playlist feature for Youtube. Basically you would select the videos you want to watch and instead of saying "play" you click "add to list"

Once you have a playlist of the videos you are interested in, you hit Play and send the whole thing to Kinoma, thus allowing you to skip between clips without restarting the browser each time. Anyone really want this?

dude..you are awesome no matter what comes from this
    Hey TC'ers, let's all try and give Dr Buzz0 feedback so he can improve these programs in useful ways!

I'd really like them (but I'm not sure I'm representative of most users). The reason I liked them was in Google Video on my laptop, I could view "Google University" talks and see other talks I'd also want to see and just select the next similar talk (after having first done a search with specific enough terms to get relevant results in this section). I don't really think Google's relevancy model is that good in this section (without me playing games with the search terms) so I'd suspect most users probably haven't adopted use of this feature.

I think Google Video's taxonomy is so poor, that it is useless to navigate/browse and find videos. I suspect they don't put resources into making this better because this is a "beta" product that currenty is not supported by advertising revenue, and therefore they can't justify the cost (in the short-term) to make this right.

And for Youtube:

I haven't used this much so far. Personally, I think most of these sites don't have it right yet. Blip.tv has a nice top level taxonomy, but so far, I haven't found a site that is organized according to subcategories. I think this is because it's labor-intensive to develop and police a good taxonomy. As a result of this: we are more or less forced to use "tagging" (by users) as a basis for search. Because this is done by volunteers (who dont always have the same idea of what should be tagged as what), you get much less relevant search results. Suffice it to say, I feel like we are in the days even prior to "DOS" on video search, and because the iterface is so ugly, I visit the video sites much less often that I would if the search and navigation were better.

I'd rather you don't bother with this. My first reason is that I wouldn't want my security credentials being passed through to your server.Second of all, I don't think the feature is important enough to implement.

This sounds very cool. I think I might use it. I know I'd be more likely to use your tools on the treo if these features were present.

Thanks for your tireless work! I'll try and think if I can come up with any other ways to make the program better!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Dr Buzz0, any chance we can get a dailymotion.com wrapper? they also use flash files... I can play the files when I download them with my pc to my sd card.... I just cant figure out a way to do it via blazer...

well I can watch a few clips in the kinoma app via this url http://www.dailymotion.com/rss but that url doesn't give me total access to the site & the clips are really low resolution...

*edit* ok I figured out how to play with rss tags to find what I want... example, this is how I can search for corvettes in the kinoma app... http://www.dailymotion.com/rss/visit...rch/corvette/1 but it would still be nicer with a mobile html wrapper

to make it easier for everyone to copy and paste... add the www to this --> dailymotion.com/rss/visited/search/corvette/1
    Last edited by R1_Rydah; 02/05/2007 at 10:29 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    Dr Buzz0, any chance we can get a dailymotion.com wrapper? they also use flash files... I can play the files when I download them with my pc to my sd card.... I just cant figure out a way to do it via blazer...

well I can watch a few clips in the kinoma app via this url http://www.dailymotion.com/rss but that url doesn't give me total access to the site & the clips are really low resolution...

*edit* ok I figured out how to play with rss tags to find what I want... example, this is how I can search for corvettes in the kinoma app... http://www.dailymotion.com/rss/visit...rch/corvette/1 but it would still be nicer with a mobile html wrapper

to make it easier for everyone to copy and paste... add the www to this --> dailymotion.com/rss/visited/search/corvette/1

I have had requests for that as well as metacafe and others. Unfortionately, it takes a good few hours of coding and tweaking to get one done for a single site. The youtube site had to be done individually for the play page, search page, browse ect (and then they go change it UG!).

What I am doing right now is a rather generic kinda of page for this sort of thing, and will (hopefully) work with any flash-video-embeded pages. It won't be as smooth and optomized as the youtube of google video pages, but it will be able to work with just about any site you want! :-D

ETA on mobetube revamp: Tuesday---ish