Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had the opportunity to take the new Seidio 2400namh Extended battery out for a test drive this week and wanted to share my observations. With all the concerns over battery life, an extended battery for the Treo 680 seems like a necessity. The engineering of batteries escapes me and I am sure it’s quit a challenge to cram more power into the same form factor. To address the consumer’s need for extended batteries, Seidio’s first run at a longer lasting battery slightly threw form factor to the wind. The result is a battery that definitely lasts longer but requires an oversized battery door.

http://www.pbase.com/coppertop/image/73544871.jpg

I compared the life of both the standard Treo 680 Battery and the Siedio extended battery this week. I started each test run with a fully charged battery, used the 680 as I would normally but intentionally used the phone at least once per hour, and waited to see how long it lasted.

The Treo 680 battery lasted just a tad over 52 hours (it discharged sometime in the middle of the night). This was a “conditioned” battery and I have installed the camera patch. The Extended Battery from Seidio lasted considerably longer.

At the end of the fifth day, the battery level was down to 29% and to be honest, I got tired of watching it. My guess is the battery would have completely exhausted itself sometime during day six. That’s a lifespan of about 144 hours. This battery was on it’s second full charge and I can only suspect longevity would increase as the battery is conditioned after a few discharges/recharges.

While this battery clearly gives you more longevity, its Achilles’ heel is its size. The battery is larger than the original 680 battery and requires an oversized battery door. The door extends the width of the 680 about inch and the increase in size actually feels good in the hand. The color matches the Treo nicely and fits snug in place.

http://www.pbase.com/coppertop/image/73544872.jpg

The problem many will encounter is that with the extended battery in place, the 680 won’t fit most pouch cases. A holster/clip styled case won’t be an issue but the “give” in most pouches won’t accommodate the extended battery. The battery does add a little weight to the Treo but not enough to become an issue. I comfortably carried my Treo easily in a shirt pocket for part of the day when I had the extended battery in place.

http://www.pbase.com/coppertop/image/73544873.jpg

I can see “power users” benefiting from this battery and those who travel a lot and are away from a charging source. With all the power issues facing the 680, Seidio’s Extended Battery may not be the perfect solution but increased my battery life 100%. For those who hike, I could see this as being a must for any extended campouts or long hikes.

Can it be improved? Yes. The extension on the battery door is a little boxy and could benefit by having more ergonomical lines. I think if Seidio’s engineers can come up with a battery with the same power storage, maintaining the original form factor, it would be tough to keep them in stock. As is, this extended battery isn’t for everyone but will serve those who need extended battery life well. If you need more longevity with your battery, the Seidio 2400namh is worth a look.

For those who prefer the 650 over the 680, you should know that this battery works fine with this phone and does not need an extended battery door.
  2.    #2  
    Just to let you know. The morning of day six, the battery level was at 24%. I'm putting it back on the charger but it wouldn't be impossible for this battery to have lasted seven days on one charge with light to moderate use.
    Seidio is accepting the order for Treo 680 2400 mah extended batery

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=598
  4. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Man, that battery cover looks so much better then some others i've seen.
  5.    #5  
    Just to let you know I'm on day three after recharging the extended battery and the level's at 61%. That's about 3% better than my initial test. Either a) I haven't used the phone as much or b) the battery life is improving as the battery becomes conditioned.
    If only they made colored battery covers......not everybody has the graphite 680
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    They do make the battery covers in colors...

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=44

Unfortunately for them, they tool-up for this, then Palm drops the copper color, bummer for them.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  8.    #8  
    Last update....
    I made it six days with the battery making it down to 18%. As far as performance goes, the energizer bunny would be proud.
    Good info. Thanks coppertop.

BTW... How'd a guy with a nick like yours end up with a graphite 680??
  10.    #10  
    Patrick..
    Unfortunately it was the only game in town.
    Sounds great coppertop man..but I guess I'm still hoping someone comes out with a slim version with at least 50% ore on the roginal 680..that's too big for me atm and wiht he camera patch things have been fine...2 days easy now!

P.S. Copper is back!
  12.    #12  
    Bruckwine...

I agree with you on the size but everything I understand it's a engineering nightmare to cram much more juice into the orginal form factor.
    I do know Seidio is researching the possibilities and if it's possible they'de be crazy not to pursue it.

I think one thing that would help is a pouch case that could handle the increased thickness. I keep promising that I'd try the extended battery in a 650 case but everytime I'm at the store I forget. If I can ever remember, I'll let you know. If memory serves me correctly there was a little wiggle room in the Palm 650 horizontal case that may be enough to handle the extended battery.

Yeah... I noticed copper was back. May have to look into an unlocked copy, for my namesake at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Bruckwine...

I agree with you on the size but everything I understand it's a engineering nightmare to cram much more juice into the orginal form factor.
    I do know Seidio is researching the possibilities and if it's possible they'de be crazy not to pursue it.

I think one thing that would help is a pouch case that could handle the increased thickness. I keep promising that I'd try the extended battery in a 650 case but everytime I'm at the store I forget. If I can ever remember, I'll let you know. If memory serves me correctly there was a little wiggle room in the Palm 650 horizontal case that may be enough to handle the extended battery.

Yeah... I noticed copper was back. May have to look into an unlocked copy, for my namesake at least.
    Seidio is working on rubberized case, crystal case and Hybrid case for treo 680 with 2400 mah extended battery. will keep you informed.

Seidio
    I too bought the Seidio extended battery for my 750, and it makes all the difference in the world. I was getting less than a full day with the original.

After I got the Seidio, I noticed how much it looked like the 650 battery. Since I had a couple of those lying around I figured I give it a try using the Seidio back. I was surprised to find the 750 wouldn't start. The contacts seem to align with the device. Any idea why the 650 battery won't work with the 750 using the Seidio back?
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    The arctic battery door for Seidio 2400 mah extended battery is now available !
  16.    #16  
    I finally remembered to try the extended battery in a Palm horizontal case for the 650.

It's a little snug but it fits. I tried it in a universal vertical pouch for the 650that Best Buy carries and it doesn't have enough give to accomodate the extended battery.
    I must say that is a well written review. I also must comment that 52 hours on tje stock battery is pretty respectible. I charge my 700 p ebery night if it needs it or not, I have never had an issue with mine. I must say going 6 days is very nice. I just don't think 52 hours on the standard battery is a problem.
  18.    #18  
    Captain Dan,
    The problem I have found with the stock battery is the lifespan is inconsistent. My wife still uses a stock battery in her 680 and battery life will fluctuate between 24 hours and 48 hours now. She has push email on her phone and uses it a little more than I use mine.

After the camera patch was installed, her battery life improved and her battery life consistently lasted 48-54 hours. For some reason over the past week, it seems as if the battery patch has worn off and she's reverting by to the inconsistent battery drains.

Others have had successful results after installing the battery patch while others still see the battery as being the weakest point to the 680. I think the Seidio gives everyone a decent option if battery life is still an issue.
    Seidio plans to release the red (crimson) Treo 680 extended battery late next week
  20.    #20  
    I thought I'd update you on the extended battery. I'm still getting tremendous longevity from the battery. Typically, I place it on the charger once every 4-5 days but could go longer.

One problem I've encountered is carrying the 680 with the extended battery cover. I'm using Seidio's swivel holster to carry the 680. The cover extends the 680 ever so slightly but enough that I'm finding it snags on things easier. The swivel holster has a little wiggle to it and I've had the Treo pop out twice getting into the car.

I wonder if Seido could curve the extended cover ever so slightly to loose the boxiness of the extension?

I'm still of the opinion that the battery life is great but finding a carrying option is the biggest challenge for the extended battery.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast