1.    #1  
    Is there a relatively painless way to use my Sprint Treo 650 as MacBook modem? I can email and browse the internet on my Treo, but can I also use it to connect my MacBook to the internet? I saw a tutorial on this from 2005, but it looked daunting. Any suggestions or software?

Thanks!
    USBModem is probably the simplest way. (Despite the name, it works for both Bluetooth wireless and USB cable connections to the Treo.)
  3.    #3  
    I think I'm wrong in saying I want to use the 650 as a modem. The 650 connects to the internet already. Can I patch that connection through to the MacBook, so I can check email, surf the web, etc?

Thanks
    That's exactly what USB modem does. See this post for details about how to do it. (These directions are for the 700p, but the same procedure will work for the 650.)
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I have a Macbook & Treo650 and looked around for help on this previously. I wanted to make sure to set up DUN properly. It turns out that there is nothing special required to connect the 650 to the Macbook. Just go through the Bluetooth Device Setup and if you are connecting a phone, there should be a checkbox for DUN. Leave the default settings for your carrier. Once connected, you'll see a phone icon in the menu at the top, with the option to Connect. This does not interfere with your bluetooth setup for syncing the Treo to Palm Desktop.
    Palm III > Treo 600 > Treo 650 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Sprint)
    Macbook C2D 2.0GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Munir View Post
    I have a Macbook & Treo650 and looked around for help on this previously. I wanted to make sure to set up DUN properly. It turns out that there is nothing special required to connect the 650 to the Macbook. Just go through the Bluetooth Device Setup and if you are connecting a phone, there should be a checkbox for DUN. Leave the default settings for your carrier. Once connected, you'll see a phone icon in the menu at the top, with the option to Connect. This does not interfere with your bluetooth setup for syncing the Treo to Palm Desktop.
    That depends on your carrier. On Verizon for example, DUN is de-activated on the 650 but can be re-activated with the Shadowmite hack or USBModem. Also, for me, when I enable bluetooth DUN via the Shadowmite hack or USBModem I can't do a bluetooth hotsync until I disable bluetooth DUN again.

But on the Mac configuration side, nothing needs to be done other than to enable BT DUN as you say.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thanks for the clarification. Being a Sprint user, I just reported my experience based on the thread heading. I wanted to reassure macjef that at least on the Sprint Treo650, set up was easy and did not require following an elaborate series of steps or arcane modifications to either the Mac or Treo. I had also seen some daunting tutorials months ago and initially held off on trying to set up DUN, but then when I did I was relieved to see how simple it was.
    Palm III > Treo 600 > Treo 650 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Sprint)
    Macbook C2D 2.0GHz