Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    I saw the thread in the BT forum, but it focused more on the s/w than the actual receiver...
    Strange comment

In that thread it's clear that currently the Mobile 10 software is very buggy and the beta software Garmin have released is still struggling to sort the problem.

So I'd be more worried about the software than the BT Receiver , unless you have only bought the receiver, not the full package ?

I'm a big Garmin fan, which must tell you something.

Perhaps you will be lucky. Please reprt back how you get on
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I have the older GPS 10 receiver and it works fine. The GPS 10 is not the latest chipset but it is plenty accurate for car navigation if you put it on the dashboard. If you have a clear view of the sky, you'll have 10 ft position accuracy after a minute or so - it even tells me correctly whether I'm in the car pool lanes of the freeway or not.

The GPS 10 connects quite well to the Treo, as well as my Macs (PPC and Intel versions). Surprisingly I can even connect it to Virtual PC or Parallels and use Garmin's nRoute for Windows if I want to do navigating using a laptop sized screen.

Where the GPS 10 doesn't do quite as well (but still not bad) is if there is heavy tree cover or if you're in a dark urban canyon. Your GPS 10x receiver should be better than mine in this regard. The GPS geek websites like gpspassion.com will tell you that even the 10x is not as good as some of the other BT gps receivers, but I don't think that the difference is going to be worth crying about.

PS. I agree with ChasT, the Mobile 10 software crashes a lot; I've made many attempts to use it on my 650 but I keep going back to the older Que software which is doesn't have as many fancy features as Mobile 10 but is BOMB PROOF. Que NEVER crashes and in some aspects is actually easier to use.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 02/09/2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: added last paragraph
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Strange comment

In that thread it's clear that currently the Mobile 10 software is very buggy and the beta software Garmin have released is still struggling to sort the problem.

So I'd be more worried about the software than the BT Receiver , unless you have only bought the receiver, not the full package ?

I'm a big Garmin fan, which must tell you something.

Perhaps you will be lucky. Please reprt back how you get on
    Yeah I guess you have a point, the s/w is more important... I admittedly didn't read the whole thread; I skimmed thru it and noticed most user results were using older receivers with the newer s/w....

So are all receivers created equal? I mean could I expect to have better results with the newer s/w & new receiver, as opposed to new s/w, & old receiver? Anyway I suspect I will be in the other thread bugging you guys in a few days...
    I recently purchase the TomTom 6 for my Treo 650. It has got to be the best add on for my Treo yet. The gps unit that came with it last about 8 hours without a recharge. It holds a cell phone battery and came with a "Y" charging cable to charge my phone & GPS unit at the same time. It is the Palm GPS Navigator 3263NA.

There are a couple of cons I have:
    1. I wish the POI options were better. With the stand alone Garmin device I got for my wife, I can type in the name of the POI and the unit tells me where the nearest one is and continues to load the next one down the list until I choose one. With my TomTom 6 this option does not seem to work. I was in Santa Anna, CA and could not find an Office Depot. The system just does not let you search by POI from what I could tell. Or maybe there just wasn't one close enough to me.
    2. I am currently using the card that came with it and need to put it on a larger card so I can use music with it at the same time.
    3. The Treo 650 only lets you use 1 bluetooth device at a time so I can not use my BT head set to talk on the phone while using the TomTom software. It kicks the TomTom off and I have to go back to the software after the call. I'm actually thinking about upgrading my phone to the Treo 700 just to get past this one.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the system, just the POI option is driving me nuts. I have decided to load up the TomTom website with my POI's in hope that they will improve this feature to work like my Garmin device.

If someone know a better way, please let me know.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Treo 650
  5.    #25  
    The POI's should allow you to search. You have to look for any POI then put in the the distance you're willing to travel and it will start bringing them up. Just start typing, there is no 'option' to search. This works just as well for Restaurants. As far as the transfer from one card to another is concerned buy the new card (pain but worth it) then transfer everything from the first card, via the SD reader provided, to a folder on your computer, take out the old put in the new, move everything right back on. The BT headset sucks I agree, and the fix isnt the greatest in the world but there are window mounts that have GPS receivers built into them. Go to the Treo Store here and look at all the options, that will open up your bluetooth port.
    I've got a TomTom 6 with the Palm receiver, a bundle I bought here on TC. I love it, works fantastically. The only downside I see is not being able to loan out my GPS to wife/ friends, 'cause it's my phone!

This device always finds a signal quickly and navigates flawlessly. I do, however, have problems receiving phone calls when using it, something I've got to figure out.
    -mbd26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12