1.    #1  
    Dumb question prompted by a thread on another forum.

Why can a wi-fi sled word with Palm OS Treo's, but not a wi-fi SD card?
    the wi-fi sled is not supposed to work. one guy got it working un-reliably witha beta driver. I think Palm crippled the SDIO slot though to not allow this funcionality. Can't imagine why though.
  3.    #3  
    I can't imagine why either, since they seem fine with it in the WinMob OS Treo's. Why would they support it for that OS and not for Palm OS?

And, again, if the sled works (even if we're constraining it to the 650), why wouldn't a card (in the 650)?
    as far as i know, the card works in the 650 too. i think it's just the 680 that it wont work in.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianoftyriel View Post
    as far as i know, the card works in the 650 too. i think it's just the 680 that it wont work in.
    wooops...wrong info.

No palm OS treo (to date) is compatible with an SDIO wi-fi card.
  6.    #6  
    No palm OS treo (to date) is compatible with an SDIO wi-fi card.
    Does anyone know why?
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianoftyriel View Post
    the wi-fi sled is not supposed to work. one guy got it working un-reliably witha beta driver. I think Palm crippled the SDIO slot though to not allow this funcionality. Can't imagine why though.
    None of what you say is true

The wifi sled works because it is connected as an external device through the universal connector on the bottom of the Palm; I believe it runs as a serial connection. The sled works fine and doesn't need beta drivers or any of that nonsense; it only needed beta drivers when it was in beta (imagine that ).

The SD slot is not crippled in any way. The reason it's not working is that Palm OS currently is unable to support too many simultaneous wireless data connections. It's the same reason we don't have a 3G GSM Treo. HSDPA/UMTS uses a separate data stream for voice and data, so it won't work in Palm OS. The 700P uses EVDO which only uses one stream for both voice and data -- essentially the same as 1xRTT -- so Palm OS can handle 3G on CDMA.

Windows Mobile is capable of supporting plenty of simultaneous data connections, so that's why the Windows Mobile Treos are able to support wifi through an SD card.
    People have said the sled didn't work with the current drivers on the Enfora site (3.04 firmware and 3.11 WiFi Manager). The beta version I'm running is 3.05 firmware and 3.12 WiFi Manager, and I've gotten it to work fairly reliably now...on everything but Blazer. hahaha And yes, it is still in beta and not available on their site.

It does run through the serial port, and boy is it not quick. Ah well, at least I can fire up Snappermail every morning.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  9.    #9  
    theweaselslayer,

Apologies for the dumb question, but how can PalmOS handle Wi-Fi from the sled (serial), but not from the card (SD)?

Also, how can it handle cell and BT, but not cell and Wi-Fi?
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    None of what you say is true

The wifi sled works because it is connected as an external device through the universal connector on the bottom of the Palm; I believe it runs as a serial connection. The sled works fine and doesn't need beta drivers or any of that nonsense; it only needed beta drivers when it was in beta (imagine that ).

The SD slot is not crippled in any way. The reason it's not working is that Palm OS currently is unable to support too many simultaneous wireless data connections. It's the same reason we don't have a 3G GSM Treo. HSDPA/UMTS uses a separate data stream for voice and data, so it won't work in Palm OS. The 700P uses EVDO which only uses one stream for both voice and data -- essentially the same as 1xRTT -- so Palm OS can handle 3G on CDMA.

Windows Mobile is capable of supporting plenty of simultaneous data connections, so that's why the Windows Mobile Treos are able to support wifi through an SD card.
    Well i appolgize for anything i said that indeed wasn't true, but from my research, that's what i was able to find. I thought that some people were able to get the 650 working with the SD card slot. However, i quickly dropped the idea when i found out that i have a data cap of 500mb on my plan, and therefore, really don't need wi-fi.
  11.    #11  
    So it seems there's no reason why the Wi-Fi sled should work and the SDIO or built-in shouldn't?