1.    #1  
    David over at Seidio has asked that I submit my initial thoughts on the new Hybrid case for the Treo 680.

First, a bit of background. I was very hesitant in buying the black rubberized case for my new Arctic Treo 680, as it would almost completely cover the color I had just bought. The crystal case also appealed to me, since it would still show off the brilliant white of my new phone, but I just couldn't justify spending money on a case if it wasn't going to give me the better grip that I wanted.

Enter the Hybrid case.

As if reading my mind, Seidio started shipping this case that combines the back of the rubberized case and the front of the crystal case. For roughly $30, I could afford to try this one out, as it combined what I wanted in a new case.

First off, the black rubberized back of the case is not what most people think it feels like. It is NOT the feel of a silicon cover, and it does NOT pick up lint or anything else in the pocket when removed. It really feels maybe a little bit slicker to touch than the back of the Treo 750. Definitely not "squishy", but definitely softer to touch than the original back of the 680. I am pleased with the feel of the phone in my hand with this case on.

The front is extremely clear, almost like not having a case on the phone at all. Nothing else really to say about the front, aside from how thin it is. The whole phone feels like almost no bulk was added to it, definitely doesn't feel any different in my pocket.

The case was a little difficult to snap together around the phone initially, but once I got it on, it feels as solid as the original skin around the phone.

This review is one day after I put the case on. I will be happy to submit further review after I carry it around town for a week or two if anyone else needs further info before making a purchase.

As for now, I would recommend this case to anyone looking to add minimal bulk, a soft touch back for greater grip, and a front that doesn't mask the color phone you purchased.

Cheers
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Is there a lanyard hook or loop on the case for attaching a strap or jewelry or whatever? I don't see any on the photos of the hybrid case at Seidio's website.
    Lurking and learning ...
  3.    #3  
    I don't see any loop for a lanyard or other attachment at this time. please remember that this case is meant to be a super thin case, no extra bulk. if you need a loop, you may need to buy something a little thicker.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    snoslicer8 - thanks for the write-up. i was having similar thoughts about the cases that were out there in relation to my desire to not cover up the copper color of my treo but still give me better grip without restricting access to all features. i just placed an order for this case as well, and am looking forward to receiving it...
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
    I don't see any loop for a lanyard or other attachment at this time. please remember that this case is meant to be a super thin case, no extra bulk. if you need a loop, you may need to buy something a little thicker.
    Thanks, snoslicer8! I still want the case, so I think I'll order it!
    Lurking and learning ...
    I ordered and received the rubberized case with holster combo, and I absolutely LOVE IT. The "rubberized" surface isn't so sticky that it attracts lint if you keep it in your pocket, but keeps the phone from sliding around on it's usual slippery surface, and it fits the phone like a custom-made glove. Thanks to the great folks at Seidio for yet another amazing product - keep 'em coming!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Thanks for the information. I, too, was wanting case but not willing to cover up my crimson. I'll go check this one out.
    on my t650 i had used a skin for it BUT I can't imagine using one with my COPPER T680...

So you like the hybrid case... tempting...

THANKS and anymore updates and opinions, let us know!!
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Mine only made it 30 days and just developed a crack on the "crystal" half...

Has anybody else had this problem (or maybe I just got a bad one?)
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I just got mine and I hope this crack isn't going to be problematic for our case. As it is, I have a difficult time taking the case apart to do a hard reset. I would like a Crimson rubberized case to match my Treo.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    on my 650 the case actually SCRATCHED my device, especially near the word TREO and around the screen. it made my phone look worse than just from day to day scratches.

anyone see this with the new case?
    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    I just got mine and I hope this crack isn't going to be problematic for our case. As it is, I have a difficult time taking the case apart to do a hard reset. I would like a Crimson rubberized case to match my Treo.

I have been considering a hybrid-case since I really like the feel of the rubberized coating on the Treo 750's...and I want some added protection & better "grippiness" of the phone case so it's not so slippery. But...I am concerned about the added hassle of removing the case for a soft or hard reset. I also did not realize this was a "shell" that snapped on the phone, and as such is prone to the cracking, and possible phone damage that is reported here and is common to all "crystal clear cases" for other mobile phones.

Think I'll wait for a rubberized "skin" that is ultra-thin and is easier to remove and re-apply...and doesn't cause any damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    on my 650 the case actually SCRATCHED my device, especially near the word TREO and around the screen. it made my phone look worse than just from day to day scratches.

anyone see this with the new case?
    The 650 case was a completelly different animal. It is one of the few devices we've ever sold that we didn't actually design. The new cases were completely designed and manufactured by us. I've had my rubberized case on my Treo 700wx for months and it has not scratched anything underneath.

Thanks
    Maybe the hybrid case scratched because it's hard plastic on the face, not the softer rubbery like paint?
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    The 650 case was a completelly different animal. It is one of the few devices we've ever sold that we didn't actually design. The new cases were completely designed and manufactured by us. I've had my rubberized case on my Treo 700wx for months and it has not scratched anything underneath.

Thanks
    I have a horizontal belt-clip leather pouch/case coming for my 680 (not Seidio, but an eBay seller I've done business with), but would really like the added grip and protection this case may give while it's out of the pouch.

How well would the phone with the case on fit in a case like that? Does it add enough girth to the phone to make it too tight a fit? The pouch does not have elastic on the sides like the Seidio side case. Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg_P1OS21 View Post
    on my t650 i had used a skin for it BUT I can't imagine using one with my COPPER T680...

So you like the hybrid case... tempting...

THANKS and anymore updates and opinions, let us know!!

I got the full black rubberized one for my copper and it is great. It sets off the orangish color of the copper giving it a real black and orange decor. The crystal would have been too much orange for me.

Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    I have a horizontal belt-clip leather pouch/case coming for my 680 (not Seidio, but an eBay seller I've done business with), but would really like the added grip and protection this case may give while it's out of the pouch.

How well would the phone with the case on fit in a case like that? Does it add enough girth to the phone to make it too tight a fit? The pouch does not have elastic on the sides like the Seidio side case. Thanks!!
    I have an after marked pouch that I use with my 680 and the black rubberized one. I had a Sena leather case (not the flip one) and it fit just fine. The rubberized one actually takes up less room that the Sena leather did, it is that small. Really a great product so far.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    My story:
    I just got my RMA number from Seido to return my broken case (again). I can't believe it but it's going to be my 3rd case - original had a broken tab, replacement also a broken tab (same location), and now a 2nd replacement. And...I haven't had it for a full year (bought in Feb 2007)!

What's so interesting, this time around, I have to return the broken replacement whereas I didn't the last time. It's a bit of a drag to have to pay for postage and insurance to return a truly defective product. Amazingly, it's a nice concept of a case, but the clear plastic section keeps breaking in the same location - it's definitely a quality problem. Guess it's the druthers for getting it replace while under "warranty". Once I get pass the warranty, I won't get another one of these cases once it breaks again. Well, here goes again.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge