1.    #1  
    I'm the late adoptor. I still have my Treo 600 and after reading all the Treo 700 posts I'm still going to keep it. My buddy is the early adoptor and has a Treo 700 but last night he told me the phone was "unusable". It's simply too slow on changing programs to make a call, enter a note or anything else at the same time. He's not really a power user and has minmal extra programs on the phone. He called Sprint who had him do a soft reset, hard reset and go out and buy a bottle of Scotch and hope it all goes away.

I don't know of many options for him but brainstorming have these:

1. Switch to the 700w/wx. (but I don't see love letters on TreoCentral about those either)
    2. Switch companies and get a 680.(might not be do-able)
    3. Get a T/X and use it as phone list and use a regualar phone to call with. Inconvienient. I thought I saw a reference somewhere to using a T/X to bluetooth dial numbers on a phone. Was I dreaming?

I can't think of much else. Any ideas?
    I cannot believe anyone could say the 700p is unusable. What kind of n00b is he & what exactly does he expect from a phone? No offense but it sounds to me like another RAZR user who bought a phone that's smarter than he is.

Anyway. He's wrong, the 700 is a delight to use. I have about 90 3rd-party apps on mine & countless hacks & mine runs like a dream. The problem is, people put notoriously buggy software like Chatter & Ringo on it & then whine when things go wrong. Also, if he's on Verizon that would explain a lot, they cripple their phones with all the proprietary crap they stuff on them.

NEVER trust other people's opinions, always find out for yourself. Poeple on forums always post when they have a problem, but almost never when they simply love their phone, like I do, so the vast majority of posts you'll see are negative. Play with all the different models you're considering & then make a decision. And for the love of god, don't go to Cingular. They're the anti-christ.
    Ask him to post his problems here himself if possible. Perhaps someone can help. Even if he might be a "noob" as the other poster said , we all were at one time and can always ask for help on TC.

He might have a memory problem somehow if the phone is too slow.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    The problem is, people put notoriously buggy software like Chatter & Ringo on it & then whine when things go wrong.
    Off topic but what is buggy about Chatter? I've had it for over two years on two different Treo models for both my wife and myself. Marc has been extremely responsive to anything that might affect system stability.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    I agree that the 700p is a delight to use, but it requires a fairly sophisticated level of computer expertise to keep it running well. It is a temperamental device, so even if you know what you are doing, it may still fall down on you. Basically, the device should switch between apps quickly after a hard reset (try returning it if it doesn't). After that, each app installed should be up to date in version, and comfirmed to co-exist with prevously installed apps (use the forum to confirm each and every app installed ).

The Q doesn't have a touch screen does it? For me that would be a deal breaker.
    Oops the Q doesn't seem to have been mentioned. I'm on the road with Blazer and can't edit.
    The Q doesn't have a touchscreen - none of the WM5-Smartphones (The Q, Dash, and Blackjack) have touchscreens. That being said, not having a touchscreen isn't as big a deal as you might think. I THOUGHT not having one would drive me nuts, but after a couple of months I barely notice it. I also like the bulletproof feel of the Q's screen.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    My buddy is the early adoptor and has a Treo 700 but last night he told me the phone was "unusable". It's simply too slow on changing programs to make a call, enter a note or anything else at the same time. He's not really a power user and has minmal extra programs on the phone.
    How impatient is your friend?!?!?!?! The complaints about the "lag" of the 700p are starting to drive me crazy. Lets say your friends Treo is really really really bad an it take 2 seconds to switch apps...... how does that matter????

So let me see..... your on a phone call and you decide you need to take a note... so you hit the home key... wait 2 seconds, then you hit the memo key and wait 2 seconds... at this point the person on the other end of the call screams "Damn, your too slow,.... I gotta go.... call me when you get a real phone....". Not!

Before I get overly flamed, I think Palm should look into why the 700p has the lag it does (since it seems the 600 & 650 didn't). But really ..... is waiting 1 second for an app to switch a big deal?

For the record, my 700p only seems to have minimal lag.... I notice anywhere from 0.25 to 1.0 seconds when I switch apps..... usually closer to the 0.25 seconds, so maybe I do not fully understand the problem.

JM
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    3. Get a T/X and use it as phone list and use a regualar phone to call with. Inconvienient. I thought I saw a reference somewhere to using a T/X to bluetooth dial numbers on a phone. Was I dreaming?

I can't think of much else. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

This is a total pain in the a**. Trust me, I tried it. I did get it to work but it was a total pain (on Verizon with crippled bluetooth of course!). It took me hours of configuration setup and surfing Howard Forums to figure the thing out. Once you got the TX to dial the number you couldn't use your bluetooth headset. Stick with the Treo mate!
    Off topic but what is buggy about Chatter? I've had it for over two years on two different Treo models for both my wife and myself. Marc has been extremely responsive to anything that might affect system stability.
    I've tried it several times over the past few years & with the past few Treos I've had, and in every instance it's either just not worked right(wouldn't sync, wouldn't DL email, etc) or caused crashes.

How impatient is your friend?!?!?!?! The complaints about the "lag" of the 700p are starting to drive me crazy. Lets say your friends Treo is really really really bad an it take 2 seconds to switch apps...... how does that matter????
    Exactly what I was thinking. This is why I called him a n00b. I'd like to know what device he's comparing it to that's so lightning-fast that it makes a 2-second lag completely unbearable. In all honesty he doesn't seem like the type to handle a smartphone, he should just go back to a no-brainer dumbphone. I mean, does he cry about it when his computer takes a second to open a program? B/c that's what a Treo is- it's a computer with phone functionality. People tend to forget this & get mad when it doesn't behave just like their old Nokia.

And FYI, the lags are due to the 700p & 700w's using identical hardware. They had to tweak the OSs to make them work & I guess they had a bit of trouble with the P. That's what I heard anyway. Also, personal experience has hinted at the lags being due to data disconnecting too.
    Last edited by KabukiAssassin; 01/30/2007 at 05:30 PM.
    Agree totally. My device has negligible lag. I moved from an i500 and while there might have been a slight difference, it is totally insignificant in comparison to the expansion of capabilities. I would recommend the 700P to anyone,as long as they're willing to accept a few limitations. If Bluetooth worked and Ptunes didn't skip, I'd be happy as a clam....and I hope both of those will be fixed soon.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Sorry but Chatter being buggy? Versamail vs Chatter... I think its simple to pick the "buggy" software. I question your skillz then. Verizon hardly cripples the Treo. They do cripple many phones though. I would rather have the Verizon though better signal and less useless apps on the ROM.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    I have had ZERO problems with versamail & I don't see why everyone hates it so much. Its never caused a crash or screwed anything up. Either 98% of people out there are getting 'bad' Treos with naughty ROMS or else they just don't know how to handle them. I'm one of the few people here who is happy with my problem-free phone so I think my skillz are quite sufficient, thanks.

But let's not turn this into a "chatter rulz!" thread, let's get back on topic.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    CHATTER RULZ.

Just kidding
    You, however, DONT.

bwaaaahahahahaha.

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    The Q doesn't have a touchscreen - none of the WM5-Smartphones (The Q, Dash, and Blackjack) have touchscreens. That being said, not having a touchscreen isn't as big a deal as you might think. I THOUGHT not having one would drive me nuts, but after a couple of months I barely notice it. I also like the bulletproof feel of the Q's screen.
    Interesting comments, coming from you Keefer. Thanks for the input!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I agree I will let this rest but honestly you really think I wanted to pay for a mail app when you get one free? Verizon does not ship Versamail installed on ROM. Once I installed it after a week the system came to a crawl. This was my experience. 10 years in IT in Boston.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    What device do you have? Apparently the problems with Versamail were significant with 650's but not present with 700Ps. I certainly have had no problem at all using it, for both Outlook and Gmail sync (other than the ridiculous way Gmail is set up). No lags, no freezes....works like a charm.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I've used VersaMail without significant issue on the 700P.

I have tried Chatter (I actually purchased it but am not using it) and it seemed to cause increased battery drain (even just checking POP3 manually) and definately increased skipping in pTunes. Also, VersaMail with Fontsmoother just looks better to me than the same e-mails viewed in Chatter.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  20.    #20  
    Amazing, good discussion. FYI: He's comparing the lag to the Treo 700 he had til he dropped it in the swimming pool, or maybe to the Treo 650 he gave away when he bought the 700, or maybe to the Treo 600 he had before that.

My T600 has a long lag between programs so I'll ask him. I suspect the answer will be something more than 2 sec.