1.    #1  
    I recently got a personal exchange account at mail2web and was wondering if it is a big deal to change my current POP Outlook to IMAP? Do you have to blow everything up and then re-load? Or is it as easy as nuking your primary account and changing it to IMAP? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Rather than 'switch', you can just add the IMAP account to Outlook. I add and remove IMAP accounts all the time with Outlook and it's a breeze. Once you're comfortable with it, you can then remove the POP equivalent.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Rather than 'switch', you can just add the IMAP account to Outlook. I add and remove IMAP accounts all the time with Outlook and it's a breeze. Once you're comfortable with it, you can then remove the POP equivalent.
    Thanks - and I have done that also with other accounts - but I want my primary account to "map" to the Inbox - not to another folder. I guess I could just "take it down" over the weekend, enter a new one and then see how it works.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    but I want my primary account to "map" to the Inbox - not to another folder.
    Sadly, that's not possible with Outlook. Microsoft's implementation of IMAP support is pretty weak.

From here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287574/en-us

Different Deletion Model

Deletion works through marking items for deletion, and then purging all items marked for deletion in a given folder. There is not a Deleted Items folder because moving an item in IMAP is inefficient. The source item is not immediately deleted due to the two-phase deletion model. This requires that you double the storage requirement for that message.

You Cannot Start Outlook in the IMAP Inbox

Even if you use only IMAP accounts, or your IMAP account is set as your default e-mail account, Outlook starts using a personal folders (.pst) file Inbox, the Inbox of your default store. This is because IMAP cannot act as the default store. As a possible work around, you can create a shortcut to the Inbox of the IMAP store on your desktop, and start Outlook from this shortcut.

Outlook Today Does Not Display Information for Your IMAP Inbox

Even if you use only IMAP accounts, or your IMAP account is set as your default mail account, Outlook Today only displays the unread count from your Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) Inbox, the Inbox of your default store. This is because IMAP cannot act as the default store.
  5.    #5  
    Man - thanks for posting that - however, that states it is related to Outlook 2002. I have 2003. I wonder if it is different (could not find anything in the knowledge base related to 2003).
    Last edited by bubbatex; 01/30/2007 at 02:29 PM.
    Not sure if when you say "Map" to the inbox you mean for Outlook to open the IMAP Inbox by default instead of the POP mailbox?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
    Not sure if when you say "Map" to the inbox you mean for Outlook to open the IMAP Inbox by default instead of the POP mailbox?
    Yes - I want my Outlook "Inbox" to "map" to the IMAP "Inbox" and that does not happen - you have a completely different Inbox folder for IMAP.

Does not matter much - I am just going to move to a full Exchange account and then everything will be sync'ed (Phone & PC).
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    As a possible work around, you can create a shortcut to the Inbox of the IMAP store on your desktop, and start Outlook from this shortcut.
    jg70124,

How do you create a shortcut to your IMAP Inbox on your desktop?

I tried dragging Inbox onto desktop, and I got a question if I want to create an Active Desktop item, then it says "Internet Explorer does not support synchronization of this type of URL".
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whothehelltook View Post
    jg70124,

How do you create a shortcut to your IMAP Inbox on your desktop?

I tried dragging Inbox onto desktop, and I got a question if I want to create an Active Desktop item, then it says "Internet Explorer does not support synchronization of this type of URL".
    That text was a direct lift from MS's Knowledgebase article on how much their IMAP implementation sucks.

I've never been able to get the shortcut thing to work, either.
    Hehehe! In theory Microsoft products should be always the best.

I just switched to Mozilla Thunderbird and I am liking it! Highly recommend, unless you must use Outlook for your organizer.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Can you sync contacts from Thunderbird to a Palm treo?

Because I'm thinking of using Outlook for calendar and tasks, Tbird for mail and contacts
    You could tell Thunderbird to import and export contacts from Outlook, but not sync in the normal understanding of this word.

How often do you have to add new people to your email list? I rarely do that. If I need to continue a discussion with someone, then their address will already be there in one of the IMAP messages that I could access with the Treo. I cannot imagine a situation when I would have to periodically copy people's email addressed to the Palm's address book.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whothehelltook View Post
    How often do you have to add new people to your email list? I rarely do that. If I need to continue a discussion with someone, then their address will already be there in one of the IMAP messages that I could access with the Treo. I cannot imagine a situation when I would have to periodically copy people's email addressed to the Palm's address book.
    I add 2-3 a day people to my contacts (phone numbers, email address, mailing address) when I'm on site at a client.