1.    #1  
    I traded a Razr for a Treo 680 and called Cingular to try to activate it as a Go Phone with a New Sim card.

As soon as she got the IMEI number she said I could not use a Treo as a Go Phone?

A friend told me he had a Treo as a Go Phone in the past with no problems.

How do I make it work?

I just got a New 750 for myself and was going to give this 680 to my Daughter as a Go Phone as I do not want her racking any more large bills for me !! LOL !!
    activate a regular go phone, then switch the sim to the treo - don't call CS
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    i use a sim card in my treo that i activated on the prepaid plan with a go phone, course mine is an unlocked treo so i dunno if the cingular branded ones will work sorry, but i i have used prepaid on my old 180's, 600, and 680
    Visor Neo-->Visor Edge-->Visor Prism(with Visorphone)-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 180-->Copper Treo 680-->Treo 270-->Treo 800w
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    activate a regular go phone, then switch the sim to the treo - don't call CS
    Will they be able to tell that the sim is being used on a Treo and shut it down?

Thanks..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Will they be able to tell that the sim is being used on a Treo and shut it down?

Thanks..
    I don't think they'd notice unless you start pulling down lots of data.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I'm going to test a Pay as You Go SIM tonight and see what happens, although I probably won't be using any data.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm going to test a Pay as You Go SIM tonight and see what happens, although I probably won't be using any data.
    You finally took the plunge!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

Diva, Please let me know how it goes?

Also let me know if you can access data just as good with the Go Sim?
    It sounds to me like the imei is on the negative file for one reason or another. I'm a Rogers customer in Canada, and called Cingular CS to see if i could get pay as you go data on my unlocked 680 when i go down to florida in march... they said that this was entirely possible and allowed. 1c/kb. Just buy a cingular pay as you go sim, activate it, and put it in the back of the device.
    Unfortunately I may have to continue the experiment tomorrow. Few if any calls will be coming in at this time, it's after 9pm here. And I'm on the laptop, so no data today.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianoftyriel View Post
    It sounds to me like the imei is on the negative file for one reason or another. I'm a Rogers customer in Canada, and called Cingular CS to see if i could get pay as you go data on my unlocked 680 when i go down to florida in march... they said that this was entirely possible and allowed. 1c/kb. Just buy a cingular pay as you go sim, activate it, and put it in the back of the device.

The IMEI is Ok she just came back and said that it was a UMTS phone and could not be used as a Go Phone.
    Wait a minute, they had a 3G pre-paid SIM for one of their non-PDA UMTS phones once. I got offered it, but decided not to get the phone. I'd try again with another CS agent, or just put the SIM in anyway. Just keep your old phone on record for Go Phone.

Wait a minute, weren't you trying to activate the 680 as a Go Phone? That's not UMTS.

no, they cannot shut down your treo. Just put the sim card into the treo.
    It works for phone use so far, but I didn't try data yet. Still on laptop.

treo is not a UMTS device, so it shouldn't be as issue, just go to a cingular store and ask them to activate the sim on a prepaid plan for you, just say you've got an unlocked phone, don't say that it's a treo.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    long while back when i had my 180 i bought prepaid and they typed in the imei, when i upgraded to the 600 i went to the store and had the # changed but they told me it doesnt matter as it is on a sim card gsm network, i havent gone to them again with my other 180 or now my new 680 and i still use the prepaid plan on my treo, but data is naturally expensive lol, but i dont use data much anyway
    Visor Neo-->Visor Edge-->Visor Prism(with Visorphone)-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 180-->Copper Treo 680-->Treo 270-->Treo 800w
    I live in Canada, but I'm on vacation in Puerto Rico right now. I have a Treo 680 unlocked, and I simply went into a Cingular store and brought a prepaid "Go Phone" sim card. Put it into the Treo, and yes, it works - phone calls, SMS, and data (1 US cent/kbyte) all confirmed to work.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstuff View Post
    I live in Canada, but I'm on vacation in Puerto Rico right now. I have a Treo 680 unlocked, and I simply went into a Cingular store and brought a prepaid "Go Phone" sim card. Put it into the Treo, and yes, it works - phone calls, SMS, and data (1 US cent/kbyte) all confirmed to work.

I've been trying to get a Treo 750 to work as a go phone without much luck.

The phone works fine but the email & internet are not working.

I think I'll try the GoPhone sim in the 680 again.