1.    #1  
    The one with the wallpaper and a (incredibly useless) single line calendar item?

Is it possible to write a program that puts more events in the view?
    I asked this a while ago. I would love to see a developer jump on this, if it is possible.
    I agree with jsgreen and mclark. Right now the main screen is useless except to put a picture of the wife and kid. Can anyone help?
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    I use TAKEphONE, which basically takes over the phone app, has a number of skins you can use, and allows a lot of customization. Take a look here:

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/to...html#msg329685

Skins for version 7 are here:

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1104.html

And by the way, it works great with my 680.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks - I'm familiar with Takephone - I was looking for something simpler, like more than a single event listed.

I use ZLauncher with a Today plugin, so this isn't really a big deal, really - I just can't understand the point of the "single-to-do" screen.

Maybe the Palm programmers don't have a lot on their plates and didn't stumble on the possibility of more than a single meeting in a day.
    You can only cram so much on a screen and still have it understandable. Have you looked at 2Day? www.shsh.com

Ben
    I think we have all seen the other apps. I like the 680 phone app, just wish the picture screen could be enhanced, that's all. Like shove the agenda calendar view into it.

Add some widgets, like weather or RSS, nothing much, just something to use that tab for.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    I use TAKEphONE, which basically takes over the phone app, has a number of skins you can use, and allows a lot of customization. Take a look here:

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/to...html#msg329685

Skins for version 7 are here:

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1104.html

And by the way, it works great with my 680.
    Dittos on Takephone. I've used it for three years now and can't think of a more useful program, or a more responsive developer. I think he updates the program about once a week.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Other than TakePhone, are there any other different number pad screens available for the 680?
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    Other than TakePhone, are there any other different number pad screens available for the 680?
    I haven't found any good ones, and I started hunting for them and asking if someone would develop them when I first got my 680 on December 1st. I had used the AQUA dialpad skin on my 650 and couldn't get used to the ugly gray of the native 680 phone app. I've tried Skinner UI, but it didn't work on the 680. The only other application I know of that pretty much replaces the native phone app and gives you a different phone app look is DialbyPhoto, but there may be other similar apps that I'm not aware of.

Toysoft is doing a beta of PictureDial for the 680, which has its own dialpad when you have PictureDial launched, but it doesn't actually replace the phone app -- so far, the way it works is that you have to launch it every time you want to use it, and when you finish a call, your 680 reverts back to the native phone app.
    The main screen for Phone and the agenda view in Calendar both seem unfinished and limited in usefulness. If they were combined, it would be awesome. If they actually supported the 5-way, it would be fantastic. A decent 'today' screen shouldn't require 3rd party apps...
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    This is probably a stupid question on my part, but has anyone looked at the other today pictures you can select if you do not like the standard Cingular one??

If you select options and then select phone display options and tap on the picture it will let you select about 4 that are already there or select ones from your SD card if you have them.

I think they have to be jpeg 320x240, I going to try and make some just to see how it grabs it from the SD card and display it.

Of course I am speaking of the main screen and not the dial pad.
    I have my own custom photo. works great.
    all of these app require you to 'Launch' them and thus are not a replacement for the default Main/Today screen.
    -tgwaste
    This is kind of old news...but, DialByPhoto is a great replacement for the built-in phone app...
    I would be happy with the 650 phone app which was simpler and better with useable favorites. I also think the best app was the 600 version which allowed use of the f-way to launch program. was like 4 extra hardware buttons.
    I can't understand why in Phone app they used a dedicated line for groups dropdown menu, instead of standard top-right position: it consumes more than a line for nothing.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    My wife pointed out something this weekend that I hadn't noticed before.. Viewing contacts from the Phone app doesn't let you put in a new contact without using the menus.

Most Palm software, the basic functionality is directly accessible without using the menus, and in fact for the first 5 months she owned her 650 she didn't know there WAS a menu to look at. That's the power of simplicity and good design IMO.

So when she was looking to add a contact on her 680 she was a little lost because there was no buttons at the bottom as there were on the 650's Contact app, because it's been replaced with the little tab interface.