Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm announced that you don't have to be the owner of a Windows Mobile-based Treo to be able to take advantage of the new push e-mail technology within Exchange Server 2003 SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Owners of the Palm Treo 680 and Treo 780p will now be able to download an update to enable the phones for Microsoft's push e-mail technology. The Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Update for Palm OS devices is available today as a download through the Palm website.

http://www.palm.com/easdownload

The update will allow Palm users to access their Exchange mailbox through the VersaMail e-mail client. Besides adding Direct Push Technology, the update also will allow organizations to centrally manage Palm-based Treo devices, and users will also be able to access their companies' Global Address Lists (GAL) over-the-air.

Now, if you have a Treo, whether Microsoft or Palm based, you can now receive push e-mail from an Exchange server. This is not a bad way to cut costs if your company is based on BlackBerry technology, since the Microsoft solution doesn't require any middleware. Any enterprise that has BlackBerry technology knows the cost for licenses, software, and support is not cheap. Best of all, you don't need a separate BlackBerry server administrator, since only an Exchange administrator is required.
    Anybody using Chatter thinking about trying this update? Will it work? Is it really going to be push email like Chatter running in the background? Do I need to leave my work PC on all day or not?

Thanks,

Al
    OK, I'm confused. (Frequent thing, I guess!)

The PALM site says this update "isn't supported on Cingular". Yet, the 680 is mostly Cingular. (Isn't that the only "officially" supported network for the 680 right now?)

Someone please 'splain..

- PB
    I just downloaded it for my 680 and it says it isn't compatible. I don't understand that at all. If it's not compatible with Cingular's 680, why the heck would they release it all?

My co-worker's 700 took the update nicely. We haven't started working with Exchange with him yet though because he keeps walking out of the office to help other people.
    Well, this news is a little stale. Check for other threads where people were downloading days ago already. While Plam announced it would be available monday it hit the web sites early.

As regards Chatter, I am using them together and they seem to do OK. I have absolutely no intention of switching to VersaMail for email, so I simply tell it to sync headers only -- you can't avoid syncing email in some fashion when turning on Directpush ("sync as items arrive").

My 680 is unlocked GSM being used on Cingular's network, and it's been fine. Maybe there is a software incompatibility with the CNG ROM? Not sure.
    They sell the phone unlocked so it's not only available for Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    They sell the phone unlocked so it's not only available for Cingular.
    Of course, but perhaps more relevant is that it has a different set of ROM code too.... ROW (unlocked) versus CNG (specific to cingular).
    Ohh K... I finally decided to install the update. As advised before trying any new things I disable all my hacks and things that run on the background, soft reset turned off Bluetooth and radio and did a full backup. Then, I installed the Versamail update. At first I could it get it to work, then I figured out that the key was to setup with the webmail setup similar to Chatter EXCH. So it worked and sync my contacts, calendar and email. Nice... now my calendar gets synch OTA without cables. At that point I was in heaven. The fact that my Treo contacts synched without asking me to do so bothered me a little bit, but it's OK. The push email works really sweet to. Now, I can look up emails on my mail server.

Anybody knows if there is a way to lookup telephone numbers on the company's Global Address List (GAL)

I guess I'm keeping versamail and Chatter for my AOL accounts since there is no PUSH for those yet.

Al
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Are they going to release a version compatible with the 680? Mine still gives me an error message that it isn't compatible.
    Working well on my 680 w/ TMO
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sploo View Post
    Are they going to release a version compatible with the 680? Mine still gives me an error message that it isn't compatible.
    As stated in earlier posts. The update only works on T680 that are not Cingular Branded.
    So if yours is an unlocked unit purchased from Palm, the upgrade should work.
    Upgraded mine yesterday and it is working fine.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lrdiaz View Post
    As stated in earlier posts. The update only works on T680 that are not Cingular Branded.
    So if yours is an unlocked unit purchased from Palm, the upgrade should work.
    Upgraded mine yesterday and it is working fine.
    Oops. Missed that. Sorry - thanks.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I still have not been able to get the push email to work on my 680. My Exchange Server certainly supports this, and I use it with a T-Mobile SDA and a Samsung i320N. I suppose it's hard reset time for the 680 and a fresh setup of the Exchange parameters. Maybe then push email will finally work!
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I don't have a corporate exchange sever, is there any way to have it connect with my home Outlook. I currently use chattermail, but would like to sync calender and contacts wirelessly
    thanks

Kevin
    It only works with an Exchange Server.
    has anyone gotten this update working on a Cingular 680?
    If you mean a Cingular locked 680 running "CNG" ROM I think the answer is no. I have my unlocked 680 running "ROW" ROM on Cingular network working just fine. I find myself constantly reminded that subsidy locks (and associated customizations) often cause more harm than good.
    Quote Originally Posted by braincell View Post
    has anyone gotten this update working on a Cingular 680?
    If you want to try, make sure you've got a backup:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthre...30#post1480130

I got these by running resco bacup prior to upgrade, then doing a verify after.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Anyone know what ON EARTH is the rationalization behind intentionally not supporting the #1 carrier that MOST 680 OWNERS USE?

Is there some marketing reason (ie: Cingular wants to sell us a service) or something?

This makes absolutely ZERO sense. (If you want push email, you need an unlocked 680).

If there was a "good" reason, fine. But this is ridiculous.
    I think cingular wants you to use xpress mail for 4.99/mo or buy a pda connect plan. I'm pretty sure it's cingular's request
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast