Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    OK - I downloaded the EAS patch for an unlocked Palm device.
    Installed it. So far so good.

Set up a test account, then found out that our IT folks don't have the right stuff in the datacenter after all and won't for some time. OK, frustrating but not too bad.

EXCEPT: I can't delete the Versamail profile for the newly added account!
    AND now it will not hotsync until I resolve this conflict.

Any suggestions on how to "back this out of my Treo." Am I facing a hard reset?
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    If you mean a Cingular locked 680 running "CNG" ROM I think the answer is no. I have my unlocked 680 running "ROW" ROM on Cingular network working just fine. I find myself constantly reminded that subsidy locks (and associated customizations) often cause more harm than good.
    I've installed that Exchange ActiveSync Update, but I'm not see the "As Items Arrive" selection, that's supposed to be there afer the update. I'm curious, what service are you using to connect. I've got MEdia Net for service, with the GPRS connection. I am on Cingular.

Also, I've been have a heck of a time setting up Exchange email, getting all kinds of error messages. Has anyone written a "how to" on this that you know of? Any help would be appreacted.
    Quote Originally Posted by chankla View Post
    I can't delete the Versamail profile for the newly added account! AND now it will not hotsync until I resolve this conflict.Any suggestions on how to "back this out of my Treo." Am I facing a hard reset?
    Hint: Reading is FUN! See pp 87-89 of the VersaMail User's Guide, as linked from the EAS download and information pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrgPalmGuy View Post
    I've installed that Exchange ActiveSync Update, but I'm not see the "As Items Arrive" selection, that's supposed to be there afer the update.
    Are you sure that you got a successful manual sync? According to the installation notes for the EAS update, you will not see the As Items Arriveoption until you perform a manual sync with your Exchange account.
    Quote Originally Posted by From EAS Update Install Pages
    When the reset has finished, open VersaMail (Email), and select the account that uses Exchange ActiveSync. Sync your email. Note the alert after the initial sync is complete notifying you that "Direct push is now enabled."
    Personally, I have PDAConnect with Cingular. I'm not specifically aware of anyone using EAS on MediaNET... but then I haven't heard it won't work either.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Anyone know what ON EARTH is the rationalization behind intentionally not supporting the #1 carrier that MOST 680 OWNERS USE?
    I haven't heard what the specific issue is, but it's not with Cingular service. I've got an unlocked 680 on Cingular w/ PDAConnect and have not a single problem using EAS DirectPush.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Given that Cingular is forcing Palm to sell the colored 680s exclusively to them, I wouldn't be surprised if they are preventing the push email feature as well. Anyone on Cingular with an unlocked 680 have push email working?
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I had this installed and it ran all day today and worked quite wll, but it SLAUGHTERED my battery. By 3pm my treo forced a shutdown.

I've since removed the account and am trying to figure out how long it will take for palm to release a version that is compatible with my outlook 2007...
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I have a unlocked artic bought direct from Palm and on cingular. I installed the update and had it working with my personal mail2web account. The push worked but was not as slick as chatter. Not bad for free, but if you have paid for chatter, you most likely won't be happy. I had more than one reset start at the same time as I installed and began to use Versa. I think it was related and that was enough for me to delete the account. I want stability and to be honest, I missed the popups from chatter.

just my $.02

greg
    Anyone know if this update will work on a 650?
    I think therefore I am.... confused!!!
    I Installed it on My Unlocked 680 with versamail attaching to our 2003 Exchange server & It Works Great , Tried to install it on 4 other units in the office ( All Cingular branded) with No luck
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    Given that Cingular is forcing Palm to sell the colored 680s exclusively to them, I wouldn't be surprised if they are preventing the push email feature as well. Anyone on Cingular with an unlocked 680 have push email working?
    I have Cingular and an unlocked 680. Push email on an ulocked phone works fine over their service. I think it has to do with the custom ROM Cingular puts on the phone that keeps the update from installing.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    If you want to try, make sure you've got a backup:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthre...30#post1480130

I got these by running resco bacup prior to upgrade, then doing a verify after.
    Thanks for this suggestion. Anyone else tried this? I am a coward.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    To enable push using Chatter, it was necessary to have Cingular enable a certain feature code on one's account. I wonder if that's the problem here. Cingular doesn't enable this feature by default, which seems kinda stupid since they don't charge for it and all that it involved was someone in tech support making a minor change.

Hopefully they will just turn it on for everybody (they didn't charge to do it) and then release the update for Cingular users.

Cingular does kind of suck, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoGreg View Post
    Thanks for this suggestion. Anyone else tried this? I am a coward.
    I Just tried it on One of out Cingular 680's & It appears to Work Great Just Like My Unlocked treo , Just remember after it finish's to take out the battery to do a reset & You good to Go------
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Taroliw,
    Thanks for the pointer to the manual.
    Yes, I'd been through that part and the Palm call center folks ultimately couldn't solve it.
    I had to do a factory reset then two resyncs to my previously successful hotsync to get it all back.

Life's good again.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Those of you who have this working properly, would any of you be willing to do an experiment and report which Contacts fields sync over from Exchange Server to the 650?
    I'm concerned about keeping work and personal calendar and contacts separate. If I install this update, does that mean that any appointments that are currently on my treo will show up in outlook? Is there any way to either mark personal calendar items and contacts as either private or to set them to a category that does not sync?

Just curious, thanks, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I mark all my personal appointments as private and they show up on the Exchange server as "busy" in your schedule with no description.
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoGreg View Post
    To enable push using Chatter, it was necessary to have Cingular enable a certain feature code on one's account. I wonder if that's the problem here. Cingular doesn't enable this feature by default, which seems kinda stupid since they don't charge for it and all that it involved was someone in tech support making a minor change.

Hopefully they will just turn it on for everybody (they didn't charge to do it) and then release the update for Cingular users.

Cingular does kind of suck, eh?
    Why, yes, they do. For anyone interested in the details of the Cingular adjustments required, they are posted on the ChatterMail site FAQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I'm concerned about keeping work and personal calendar and contacts separate. If I install this update, does that mean that any appointments that are currently on my treo will show up in outlook? Is there any way to either mark personal calendar items and contacts as either private or to set them to a category that does not sync?
    (wow... sideways scrolling sig from hell...)

Yes, if you synchronize your calendar with Exchange (and that really includes hotsync, timed VM sync, or DirectPush) then you may wind up wind a combination of private and corporate events in there. I can definitely confirm that if you mark the event private in the calendar then it syncs that way into Exchange. I'm not aware of any method with the default tools to prevent an item from synchronizing. But perhaps third party stuff has this capability.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast