Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well I was having resets, unknown application resets with my phone so I forced sprint to give me a new one. My other one was only about 3-4 months old.
    Anyway the new one does the same thing. Here is what I found.

Resets are being caused by Bluetooth, and I use a Sony Ericcson HBH610. Never had this problem with my 650
    If I turn bluetooth off all together I never have a reset.
    If I turn on bluetooth on the Phone, pair it to my headset and never turn off bluetooth on the phone again after pairing it seems to do fine. Once I shut off bluetooth on the phone, I have all kinds of INTERMITANT problems where it will answer but the sound is on the phone not the headset and all sorts of other weird stuff and eventually Ill get a unknown app reboot. when I just turn it off and dont use it, I never have a problem.

The slowness of switching apps is definately Versamail. I have done testing by going through a hard reset that even reformats the memory and the phone is FAST, until I start using versamail. It was like this on both phones, and when I got the new one I ran it for a while without VERSASNAIL and it was quick.

So Palm Ive done and confirmed testing of my phone personally, 2 of them and see similar posts on this site confirming what I found.

NOW FIX IT!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Really didn't learn anything new here sherlock.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    Let's be nice Chris. (Sorry, I don't really mean to chastize you, but the OP was trying to be helpful.) Yes, we all figure out that bluetooth off when you are not actively using it, and re-pairing the next time prevents a lot of problems, but I for one had never made the connection between additional resets from other applications while Bluetooth is on. Thanks Greg for your post.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    A comment like that makes one wonder if you are old enough to visit the forum without a parent's approval.

It was uncalled for and inappropriate.

gregnauman was trying to be helpful, like most people on this site. If he didn't help you, so be it. Ignore his post and move on. But, to attack him with a Junior High insult is immature and speaks volumes for who you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post
    gregnauman was trying to be helpful, like most people on this site. If he didn't help you, so be it. Ignore his post and move on. But, to attack him with a Junior High insult is immature and speaks volumes for who you are.
    As a sysop for years, I can tell you that rude comments like Chris made serve to drive away good users and also to keep many users "lurking" for fear of getting whacked if they post.

It really isn't that much harder to be nice. Wouldn't it be nice if more people tried it?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Tried deleting versamail long ago and have had bluetooth off since I owned it. Still slow, still resets all the time, often when not even having it turned on.
    I get the occasional reset with Bluetooth listed as the culprit (##377#)
    Seems to happen in conjunction with the phone switching networks, esp. in a weak service area.

I don't use Versamail. Am a Snappermail fan.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I totally agree with the OP. Yes, we all know that Bluetooth is problematic with the 700p but I did not realize how much until I completely stopped using it for about a month (the way it was working it wasn't of much use anyway). The issues with Bluetooth go way beyond static and dropping the pairing, I can say that I'm realizing now that 90%+ of the resetting, instability, and general weirdness of the 700p had to do with Bluetooth. I've gone from having to pull the battery at least once every couple of days to being able to go weeks without a reset.

The problem is, of course that this is not a real solution for anyone who really needs the Bluetooth on their phone. It does give me some hope that the upcoming Bluetooth patch will fix more than just the crackling, and pairing issues though. Either that, or I guess it's possible that by tweaking the Bluetooth to fix the crackling and pairing they actually make the other stuff worse, I guess time will tell.
    But thanks for your illuminating reply.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I agree about versamail completely, although I also get an added delay from network searching...or something. I am also sick of the blazer bottlenecks...pages load to about 200K and then stall for minutes before fully loading. As far as bluetooth goes, I find it useless and have been unable to enjoy it. I leave it off.

Its amazing to me palm can get away with this crap. I can't believe the response we got as 300+ dollar customers...palm can bite me!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I have suspected BT an VM (even though I don't use VM) were culprits as well. Funny that the BT on the 650 wasn't as big a problem, reset-wise.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz View Post
    Tried deleting versamail long ago and have had bluetooth off since I owned it. Still slow, still resets all the time, often when not even having it turned on.
    Things to tr:

1) If you are on Sprint, try doing a *2 call and see if it tells you that it wants to update your phone. After doing this my phone has been a lot more stable. I suspect Palm/Sprint may have fixed an issue on some phones where the HSSN was not originally programmed into the phone using this SPL update. If you are on Sprint, and you haven't done a *2 update yet, download Jeff Gibson's utility to check this.

http://gotreosoftware.com/downloads/ota/devinfo.prc

If you can prove my theory that the SPL update might be fixing this, that would be very cool.

2) If you upgraded from a phone such as the Treo 600, and you did not do a fresh install (ie: you let the install copy over the programs it said were OK from your old device), do a hard reset and reinstall your programs thru hotsync or OTA prc's. From what I understand, some existing preferences settings can be wrong when doing the upgrade method, and these will be set up correctly via a fresh install.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    ... ts amazing to me palm can get away with this crap. I can't believe the response we got as 300+ dollar customers...palm can bite me!
    Your post reminded me of how mad I really am about this :-(

I have to get someting out of my system now:

... Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam Plam ...

Now I feel better :-)
    I simply am floored at how horribly this phone operates & paln does nothing to address it. all they care about is promoting & selling the next model without addressing the numerous "bugs" with the previous treos. the thing is so slow to respond it is a big problm to me. not to mention everything about the phone is out of date, camera is crap. the list goes on... I have zero respect or admiration for palm...
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Personally I know the phone has issues but I really don't see any better SMART phones per say. Read that the WX is coming to Verizon finally. I might give that one another shot. I would love to use logmein.com.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Hmmm...both my co-worker and I signed up for the Sprint SERO and both of us got the Treo 700p. He's been using his with a Motorola H700, while I've been using mine with a Holux GPSlim 236. We both have not experienced any BT problems. I should be getting my Jabra JX10 this week, hopefully my luck continues.
    This is not the way a treo owner should have to live--luck is fine, but sooner or later it all runs out--reliability should be the order of the day, hopefully Palm will get it right with the forthcoming update.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    All my other coworkers laugh at me now with my 700p. They try to send me text messages when I'm on the phone with my manager so it resets and I have to call him back in 3 minutes after to boot process and say"sorry, my phone rebooted." I'm sorry, but my Nokia never rebooted. :-|
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by finnd View Post
    All my other coworkers laugh at me now with my 700p. They try to send me text messages when I'm on the phone with my manager so it resets and I have to call him back in 3 minutes after to boot process and say"sorry, my phone rebooted." I'm sorry, but my Nokia never rebooted. :-|

Hmm...I just experimented with my 700p...got on the phone and had someone send me a text message...no reboot whatsoever...I even responded to the text message...my phone didn't hang up...conversation was not interrupted.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    I simply am floored at how horribly this phone operates & paln does nothing to address it. all they care about is promoting & selling the next model without addressing the numerous "bugs" with the previous treos. the thing is so slow to respond it is a big problm to me. not to mention everything about the phone is out of date, camera is crap. the list goes on... I have zero respect or admiration for palm...
    (I'll keep you company in your rant corner tonight)...

It is certainly not up to snuff with the quality you'd think would be routine after over 10 years of experience with the OS and all related hardware and support.

Palm's feedback loop is absolutely woeful - they gave us a few crumbs of fixes with the 700p (like the RAM increase that should have been in the 650), but screwed up other things even worse. Jebezzus, the lag is absolutely unacceptable - wasn't that apparent to anybody who tested them? Oh, excuse me - WE are the beta testers. Tied into 2 year contracts with buggy devices that they tell us after the sale they have no intention to fix.

Their ability to build and support a solid device seems to dissipate with each successive model they create. "Hey, we can't do a good job with the PalmOS.... let's kludge that miserable 240x320 WinceMob into the device and mess that up too!" Hey - if you can't get the flagship model to stay connected with your own branded bluetooth headset as advertised - you certainly don't have the attention span necessary to configure and support yet ANOTHER operating system (that wasn't even built for this hardware). If my kid had the lack of serious focus that Palm has given the Treo line, I'd slap him into next Christmas!

PalmOS has *some* limitations, but it seems most of the problems with the PalmOS Treos were of Palm's own creation. If their months of testing the devices "missed" problems average people on these boards noticed minutes after opening the packages.... either they aren't testing them in the "real world" or the majority of the "early adopters" on these boards have more intelligence and common sense than the people Palm PAYS to test the phones. Honestly - how can the THIRD generation of the Treo be released with up to a minute lag loading the web browser and the regular loss of pairing to headsets? AND - it's not a big deal to Palm once they finally acknowledge it... Talk about company suicide!

For testing devices, Palm should hire a few people over the age of 27 that have actually used a PDA for a few years longer than just after they got hired at Palm or Sprint/Verizon/Cingular. SOME things take experience and not just good grades in school.
    Last edited by Joad; 02/05/2007 at 12:53 AM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast