Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Hey All. I'm a newbie here and thought I might get lucky with some help. I purchased and installed the Mirriam-Webster (SlovEd) dictionary modules and installed them on my 700p. the problem is that the installation causes the unit to do a continues loop soft reset. After 2 or 3 "system resets" I can get the 700 working again except for the phone. The phone will not work as long as the dictionary is installed. I have to uninstall the dictionary and do a few system resets before the phone works again. SlovEd doesn't seem to be able to help (they emailed me a new program engine but no help.) A trip to the Sprint store was no help either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I would get rid of the MW SlovEd dictionary immediately it seems to be conflicting with the 700p. If you are in an EVDO area a lot of the online dictionaries like www.dictionary.com are fast enough or try something in (http://www.bartleby.com/). The Oxford dictionary in On Demand is also good. There should be several other good versions of MW around if you need it. Good Luck!
    Last edited by copernicus; 01/28/2007 at 06:14 PM.
    I use english and spanish dictionaries with SlovEd on my 700p with no problems at all.
    I've had it on our 650s and 700ps with absolutely no issues at all. All the related application data is on my SD card.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    I use english and spanish dictionaries with SlovEd on my 700p with no problems at all.
    SAME!

However, I do have the program and the dictionaries installed on my SD card -- not in internal memory.

You might try that scenario -- or othewise I would ask for a refund from SlovoEd and try elsewhere.

I also have eReaderPro with several reference titles installed -- the Oxford Medical Dictionary and Webster's 3rd International (32mb, 476,000 entries) Dictionary among the titles. If Slovo falls thru, you might try this route.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/28/2007 at 08:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Thanks to all of you. I will try installing the entire app and databases (English & Spanish on the Sd card and see if that helps. I'll let you know. Thanks again
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Ohmster. I can also install the program to an SD Card. The problenm is if you install apps and databases to the SD Card you CANNOT use the Morphology Module and the the Resident function won't work (the reason I bought it to start with.) Again your thoughts are welcom. SlovoEd is trying, but there at a loss to help me. They don't seem to get the point.
    I have the program itself in resident memory and the dictionaries on my card. Sorry I don't have any advice. It's just always worked on the many devices I have owned.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I have the program itself in resident memory and the dictionaries on my card. Sorry I don't have any advice. It's just always worked on the many devices I have owned.
    Yours works the way it's supposed to. I installed the program with Morphology modules and the Resident function on my T5 and all works perfect. In order to get full functionality from the program you should install the engine and Morph modules in main memeory and the database on an SD card. There is either a glitch in the SlovoEd program or the Phone function of my 700p. This is the only program that has ever given me this kind of problem. I have had the 700p since it first hit the streets. Still working with the SlovoEd people in Russia but I don't think they can do much. Thanks again. I'll check into the forum every now and then.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Dear sxtg. I am confused about the Spanish/English dictionary. The first time I downloaded it it was Latino/Mexican Spanish which is what I want. eg: Hello is Hola! Since I've had to delete and re-download and reinstall the Spanish module the dictionary seems to be European Spanish or some other lanquage altogether. eg: hello translates to "brinco mfrato, amol de cortom" ??
    I have know idea whats going on. I have downloaded and reinstalled the span/eng/ eng/span several times. They all say "classic" spanish. I also installed the spanish morphology module and the sound module. Any help you or anyone else can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
    I have the hello = hola version

(I have SlovoEd 4.11 installed on the card as stated in "About")
    Paragon Software
    http://www.penreader.com
    Dictionaries by:
    Smart Link Corp
    www.smartlinkcorp.com

Details from FileZ:
    What do your files show?

SlovoED.prc
    Type: appl
    Creator: SLED
    Size: 145340 b, 0 recs
    Unique ID: 0, card 0
    Version ID: 411
    Dates: 11/21/02 5:54pm

Spanish_English.prc
    Type: 002C
    Size 451517 b, 0 recs
    Version ID: 310
    Dates: 12/13/64 11:22pm

English_Spanish.prc
    Type: 002B
    Size: 536753 b, 0 rec
    Unique ID 0, card 0
    Dates 6/2/64 7:02 pm
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/02/2007 at 12:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I have the hello = hola version

(I have SlovoEd 4.11 installed on the card as stated in "About")
    Paragon Software
    http://www.penreader.com
    Dictionaries by:
    Smart Link Corp
    www.smartlinkcorp.com

Details from FileZ:
    What do your files show?

SlovoED.prc
    Type: appl
    Size: 145340 b, 0 recs
    Version ID: 411
    Dates: 11/21/02 5:54pm

Spanish_English.prc
    Type: 002C
    Size 451517 b, 0 recs
    Dates: 12/13/64 11:22pm

English_Spanish.prc
    Type: 002B
    Size: 536753 b, 0 rec
    Unique ID 0, card 0
    Dates 6/2/64 7:02 pm
    Dear Perry. Thanks for responding to my question. Looking in File Z as well I see that I have more current versions of the software.

for example: I have SlovoEd v 6.04 (the latest). This engine works for all dictionaries. type 020D, creator SLED. 26 mb. This is the Eng Eng dict,

Eng-Span: Type 020A, size 818,384b, creator SLED. Version 0.
    Span-Eng: Type 020B, Size 518,714B.

It appears that I have more recent version of the app and databases. Do you have the Morphology modules installed? And are you able to use the Resident feature? Do you have everything installed on the SD Card? If you do, the above feature won't work (as you know.)
    As it turns out, While looking into the above info my Treo crashed and after 2 system resets I was able to get back into the program. Of course then my phone wouldn't work which led to all these problems in the first place. I then had to uninstall/delete all remnants of SlovoEd/MW, do another 2 system resets and was able to get my phone function back.
    While Handango etc claim that this program is compatible with the Treo 700p, the SlovoEd people (in Russia I beleive) state via thir support dept that it was never tested with the Treo 700. The program works great on my Tungsten T5. I'm just about ready to give up. I didn't want to have to carry two devices with me (Treo & T5) but I may have to. The dictionary etc are great, I just wish they would work on the Treo.
    Sorry for bending your ear like this but I'm very frustrated. And thanks again for responding to my post.
    I do not have the morphology modules installed and I am not sure what the resident feature is. . . . . I have not used the dictionaries as much as I had first anticipated when I made the purchase. . . they now reside on my SD card for the occassional word look up. . . .
    Toothman -- you have a PM
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Perry. Thanks for your patients. I'm not sure if I'm posting these in the correct order. First whats a PM?? Next the "Resident option (the reason I bought this in the first place), allows you to access the dictionary from other apps. Very handy eg if you do crossword puzzles on the pda. The Resident option and Morphology module only work if installed in main memory along with the dict engine. They will not work if installed the SD Card. Anyway I take it you work for the developer?? Thanks again for your input. Doesn't look like there's anything anyone can do. Toothman.
    PM = Private Message

Scroll to the top of the page. . . .

You should have a "Private Message: Unread 1" notation in the top middle right area of your screen.

Click on it and you will be taken to the Private Message area!
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/02/2007 at 07:29 PM.
    I'm having problems buying the sound modules for mines and I'm not sure which one to purchase and help?
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I bought Slov Ed for my 650 but I never transferred it to my 70Op because I see nowhere on their site that it is approved for the 700P. My search only shows the Smartphone Windows platform listed.

Of course, some users will say they have no problems and that all depends on what other programs one is using.

Can someone link me to the wording on their site where it shows that it's approved for the 700p. I could be wrong. If so, I'd like to install it. My guess is we will have to pay for an upgrade to the 700p when it's available.

Rant: I'm tired anyway of shelling out money for programs that when I am forced to do an incremental type upgrade my phone like from the 650-the 700p (not complaining when the insurance sent me the 700p for the replacement)
    But IMO some of these 3rd party software providers have the B*LLS to try and force us to pay for an upgrade.

We should start a sticky listing the companies that stick it to you to upgrade so one can make their own choice if they want to just keep paying. Many programs like Google Earth, NV Backup and Google Earth are free. Others like Tomtom, Billiards, (Volumecare, within a certain period of time) will issue you another code if you switch phones for free.

Rip off companies like PDA Net and some of the backup programs force you to pay again. These companies will NEVER see a dime of my money again.

For now, I've been happy to have my 700p run without any resets. The 650 would reset 5-10 times a week on me.

I've been doing what the other poster suggested, going to Dictionary.com over the web. I've saved it to a button in Blazer, takes 5 secs and your good to search for the word or to use the thesaurus.
    Last edited by Expidia; 02/04/2007 at 09:13 AM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Hi Expidia !

I am using version 4.11 SlovoEd (toothman has 6.0 something)with the Spanish English dictionaries on my 700P without a problem -- however --- program and dictionaries are installed on the SD card -- I have not tried them in internal memory. I am not using the morphology module or the resident program that allows "pop-up" windows in other apps.

Cheers, Perry
    When I changed to the 700p I had to upgrade the program to make it work. The upgrade was a free download.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast