Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. adambike's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
       #1  
    I spilled coffee on my Treo !! The flip-over case helped a bit but i noticed there were coffee in the SD card compartment, screen and also within the battery areas. None seemed to have penetrated too deeply though - whew !!! and a wipe seemed to have cleaned it all out.

    The treo seemed OK too !!! It sure damned spoiled my monday morning. Now i'm looking at the treo now and then and hoping I haven't done any long term damage to it.

    My lessons is to keep all liquids far far away from all valuable electonic equipment !
  2. #2  
    Take the battery out.

    Place in front of a fan for a day.

    Then put it in a ziplock with as many as those silica gel packs a pharrmacy will give you for a day on a sunny window ledge.

    This will suck all of the last moisture out of it.

    Water is one thing, coffee is another -- it might leave a residue as it dries. If it was salt water -- you would have to rinse it before drying -- salt left behind on the electronics would eventually corode the electronics. . . .

    Good Luck !!
  3. #3  
    I had not heard about the ZipLock/silica gel maneuver. That sounds like experience talking.

    I was about to recommend removing the battery overnight, but Perry's suggestions go beyond that and just might prevent a problem.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I had not heard about the ZipLock/silica gel maneuver. That sounds like experience talking.

    I was about to recommend removing the battery overnight, but Perry's suggestions go beyond that and just might prevent a problem.

    . . . . . experience of the collective memory of this forum's contributors . . . . . . .
  5. adambike's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
       #5  
    Thanks for the advice. My heart really dropped when i realised and saw the amount of coffee on the 2 weeks old new Treo.
    As per advice on putting water to rinse it out - I'm not too sure if my case warrants it. More water could probably do it more damage. I did wipe away whatever coffee stain i could see. And have left the treo out in the open air-con office air hoping to dry out any remainders. My only fear is the coffee that could or might have seeped under the screen and is contact with the touch screen electronics.

    I think the touch screen electronics is probably the most sensitive. I've had a 4 year old handspring visor touch screen become insensitive to all touches and become inoperable even though i have not abused it.
  6. #6  
    The silca gel packet trick in a ziplock will even suck the moisture out between the touch screen layers. . . . . .

    I agree with your no rinse in water thought . . . that is necessary with salt water . . . but unknown with coffee . . . . .
  7. adambike's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
       #7  
    Yes, plenty of silica gel (or a hair dryer) would pretty much dry up any remaining liquid in the treo. Except that the office doesn't have any and by now i'm pretty sure any remaining droplets would have evaporated.

    So even if i do use silica gel on it at home it shouldn't do it any better. Anyway the treo still is holding up ie. working as usual.

    Anyone else has a dunking with such a device and found it not a problem in the long run?
  8. #8  
    Not with my Treo. A few years ago I was dumping out some milk and Italian dressing used for marinating steaks to my dogs. I had my flip phone in my shirt pocket. As I leaned over to empty the pan, BLOOP SPLASH!! There went my phone. I fished it out and immediately went inside to begin the drying process. I removed the battery cover, battery and found a way to very carefully expose a portion of the inards. I got out the hair dryer and dried for about five minutes and then just let it sit for a while. Phone worked fine till I got a new one. I did notice that the battery wouldn't hold a charge very well anymore. Not sure if they were related but at the time I thought so. Other than that, it was fine.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
  9. #9  
    I have also heard of putting it in a bag of rice
  10. Silver5's Avatar
    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #10  
    I dropped a phone a few years ago into a cup of coffee. Completely submerged the damned thing! It fell so hard into the cup that there were splashed of coffee on the ceiling!! I don't know how it happened exactly but I opened up the phone completely, wiped everything down, used a hair blower for a few minutes and let the phone sit for a while. It worked perfect for the next few months until I got something new. The phone was a Samsung...a real small one with the two screens...can't recall the model. Durable little thing!
  11. #11  
    Absolutely no guarantee here, but I am actually hard-of-hearing and I have experienced many many occasions of "wash-outs" with my hearing aids and currently cochlear implant. Silica-gel packets are my second lifeline as I have to deal with sweat on a daily basis, along with (when I was younger) full submersion in a pool with my aids on.

    I strongly suggest the product on the following web page. Obviously, it is intended for hearing aids and I would actually suggest picking up two and finding a seal-able container (I only say 2 because the bags provided may not fully fit your Treo in it with room to seal the bag). This Tupperware honkey that has been talked about doesn't really assure me of a quality seal. I would also venture to say that zip lock bags aren't really suitable unless you're putting multiple bags within each other.

    http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=16901

    Please, though, with things like Coffee, pop, beer (the demise of my SK2)... your expectations must be minimal. Silica-Gel packets are intended only to suck out the moisture, not the sugar, and etc. Sugar can conduct electricity in ways that are not desirable to an electronic.

    General "Procedure" to drying out your electronics:

    1. OFF IMMEDIATELY. No ands-ifs-and-buts about it. You'll be better off with the unit off for 48 hours than not having a unit at all for a full week.
    2. Take apart the device. AKA, take off the back cover and take out the battery, any memory cards should be taken out and "doors" left open.
    3. Get the electronic directly to the silica-gel canisters and ensure a good seal! Moisture in the air, like everything else, goes to the area of 'least' resistance. If moisture (albeit invisible) can seep into the bags/container, you're defeating the purpose.
    4. Wait AT LEAST 24 hours after taking out the device. You will be surprised at first to notice that the device feels extremely 'un-oily' and very dry. If it does not, then put it back in before trying anything silly.

    I seriously have fully submerged myself in a pool for about 30-1 minute overall time before I noticed that I still had my hearing-aids on. Yes, after immediately following the steps above, my $3,000+ pair of digital-hearing aids were saved the next day. I'd frankly call that a miracle, but also to be expected if common sense is used.

    I know myself that as I am waiting for my Treo 680 to ship either tomorrow or Wednesday, I will be forcing myself to have 'no liquid' zones for the treo. $400 is not about to go to waste.



    One last addition: PLEASE freaking avoid the "fan" and hair dryer method. Fans can still push moisture into the device, and a hair dryer's heat can unpredictably impact electronics. Do yourself a favor and don't take the easy route out if this situation ever occurs to you.
    Last edited by DrivingManiac; 01/29/2007 at 06:50 PM.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    The silca gel packet trick in a ziplock will even suck the moisture out between the touch screen layers. . . . . ..
    Perry .. are you saying that the silica will rid the 600 of the dreaded orange spot due to moisture collectin behind the screen?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego View Post
    Perry .. are you saying that the silica will rid the 600 of the dreaded orange spot due to moisture collectin behind the screen?
    Hi Chris!

    I have not read on the forum of anyone ever trying that . . . . . is the orange spot a stain caused by the moisture or just moisture? If the latter, it might be woth someone giving it a go and reporting back. . . . . .
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by breaksraver13 View Post
    I have also heard of putting it in a bag of rice
    Good Point! Rice will absorb mositure, as well.

    (At the food service in college -- we added rice to the salt shakers during the humid summers to keep the salt from clumping due to moisture in the air. . . . .)

Posting Permissions