Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have had a 680 for 6 weeks and loved it. Even the battery issue isn't all that bad. Wed Jan 17 my phone started locking up while on a call. Thursday and Friday it was progresively worse.

I went to the Cingular store and while waiting another 680 user came in with the same problem (I saw the no antenae and asked him). Since it is over 30 days I must go through the 800 number - can't go through local store.

Cingular assures me it is not the service, but the phone. It does this even with a hard reset - no apps or data. They sent me a new phone - got it today Monday and same problem. I did sync so I did a hard reset and It still locks up while on a call. Occasionally I can make a several minute call with no problems.

Cingular is sending me yet another phone. We shall see.

While the phone is not working I am using my SIM card in a 650 with a broken screen and it is working fine. So I am assuming the SIM card is ok.

Besides the guy I met at the Cingular store, I have a customer that has the 680 and he said his started locking up after last week.

It really seems like it is the Cingular service with the 680 and only since last week.

Any other users in South Texas / San antonio area having this trouble with the 680?
  2. rag
    same problem with same device, same network, same city. though i suspect it is the device at fault there could be a network problem. my device worked almost 2 mos before the locking-up began. cingular swears there has been no network change. palm denies a problem. prob need to wait for a fix but this could take awhile. perhaps we should return them all to get some attention
  3.    #23  
    I'm in San Antonio and I'm having the same problem - this is refreshing, because it sounds like this is more a problem with the local network and not the phone. I love my 680, and hoped that the freeze while on call issue wasn't due to a faulty device.
    I am also in San Antonio. I starting seeing the phone call freezes after installing the Camera patch. I am getting ready to remove the damn thing.
  5.    #25  
    I just contacted Cingular tech support and explained the issue. I even told him that there appear to be numerous users in the south Texas area who seem to be having the same issue. I was informed that they knew nothing of any specific issues with the network that would be causing this problem, and that they will recognize it as a device issue. They offered to process a warranty exchange and send me another phone, but I'm not convinced that it's an issue with my particular phone. Like everything else in Treo 680/guinea-pig land, I'll just be patient and wait for the glitch to be worked out behind the scenes.
    I'm in the same boat here in SATX. Its the worst in the NW where I live. I just can't figure it out!!
    Also freezing in San Antonio
  8. rag
    i have removed all 3rd party software following a hard reset on my 680. still locking up. obtained another 680 from cingular, still locking up on calls. i think it is the network but cingular denies this. i am thinking about a 750 exchange as cingular claims no problem with this device. i hate to lose palm os however. perhaps i will find my old 650
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kryichek View Post
    I am also in San Antonio. I starting seeing the phone call freezes after installing the Camera patch. I am getting ready to remove the damn thing.
    K, do it. The camera/batt patch was causeing EVERY call i made to lock up. Call would drop and interface would hang until I cycled power. I deleted the camara patch file and have made three calls without a problem. Also, the phone seems slightly more responsive now.

I just wonder if and how being in San Antonio plays into it.

aj
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeFarm View Post
    K, do it. The camera/batt patch was causeing EVERY call i made to lock up. Call would drop and interface would hang until I cycled power. I deleted the camara patch file and have made three calls without a problem. Also, the phone seems slightly more responsive now.

I just wonder if and how being in San Antonio plays into it.

aj

Have you noticed a difference in the battery drain since you removed the camera patch?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tccentex View Post
    Have you noticed a difference in the battery drain since you removed the camera patch?

No, but then I did not notice it much before. I tend to keep it charged any time I'm around an outlet but I thought it would be a good idea to do the patch.

I also tried to install the MS Direct Push before I discovered it is not for Cingular-att customers. The installer just told me that the patch was "not compatable" with my 680

So here is the question stated in a formula...

680+Camera Patch+San Antonio, Tx = phone app lockups?
    It's not just San Antonio, I'm in Atlanta and have the same problems...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I know cingular has decent coverage....but not that decent because I'm in the Netherlands ....with the same problem. In my case a lot of incoming calls lock up my 680. No camerapatch installed....no 3rd party software installed...even NO palm software installed, everything "out of the box"
  14.    #34  
    I noticed a HUGE difference on battery drain (the lack of it) after installing the patch. If anyone else who noticed the same benefits concerning the battery decides to remove the camera patch, I'd sure like to know if the device reverts back to poor battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Maybe you guys in the South got bad batch. Maybe it's global warming. We wouldn't know about that up here. It's 11 degrees. Go Bears.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I just got another hang. This time when trying to push the big red button to hang up on my voicemail. Maybe it's not the patch after all.

Im confused at this point.
    After about a week of this nonsense back in December with my new out of the box Treo 680 (zero additional apps) in excellent coverage, I concluded that it was the Palm OS and I sent the phone back. I now use a 750 with zero problems. It is in excusable for this device to lack reliability with the most fundamental basics as this.

For Palm to introduce the 680 as their "everyman" device for the masses and yet still allow such a quality assurance problem is just unforgivable.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celf View Post
    I know cingular has decent coverage....but not that decent because I'm in the Netherlands ....with the same problem. In my case a lot of incoming calls lock up my 680. No camerapatch installed....no 3rd party software installed...even NO palm software installed, everything "out of the box"
    Wow! That would be an amazing reach!

Quote Originally Posted by SAKozicki View Post
    Maybe you guys in the South got bad batch. Maybe it's global warming. We wouldn't know about that up here. It's 11 degrees. Go Bears.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bad batch released. I doubt it's global warming, we're expecting freezing rain tonight. My kids are praying for a "snow" day

How do you remove the camera update? Using FileZ?
    Cingular sent the second 680 (total of 3). Same lock up problem. No software loaded - not even the camera patch.

I'm bummed. I really like the 680. What irratates me is that every time I talked to a Cingular or a Palm rep - it's the first time they have heard of this. Thats funny I say - I've talked to no less than 15 people myself and know of at least 30 other people who have the same problem. How many representatives does it take before they start traking these things.

Even the Palm guy had NEVER heard of this - I hate being lied to.
    FWIW I recently started to experiment the same kind of "lockups" where the Treo would freeze for 30 to 60 seconds when trying to dial a favorite, or answer to an incoming call. It doesnt happen systematically, though, but a friend of mine with a 680 encounter this issue on a regular basis, too. We're both using the GSM unlocked Treo 680 with the Orange carrier in France.

So I'd venture it's not a carrier-specific problem...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast