Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. mland550's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi All,

    My Treo 680 has creaky "send" and "end" buttons. Actually, I think it's the silver surround that squeaks when I press down on them. It's really annoying, especially on the right hand-side since it creaks every time I end a call or toggle between applications.

    I've had a couple 680s now due to various issues, but they have all creaked, so I know it's not just a single unit.

    Does this bother you all having spent the money for this type of build quality? Can the bezel surround be somehow padded or better secured so it won't creak

    Thanks for your help/thoughts.
    -Matt
  2. jfme's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #2  
    I had the same issue. Hopefully this helps:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=squeak
  3. #3  
    I kinda had this prob on the first week, but once I got the SNES emulator .... buttons are now ok. I assume it's b/c I've been playing a lot of Contra & Tetris Battle Gaiden.
  4. #4  
    This was an old 600 issue or 650 I don't remember... interesting... I was at Palm Road show and one of the developers changed out my keyboard in front of me..
  5. #5  
    I can't believe you posted this, this same issue has been a problem for me since about a week after I got mine. I put up with it for a week or so and then I called Palm to send me a new one citing poor build quality and they did.

    It's hideously annoying and when you pay $400 for an unlocked one like I did I was really upset to be experiencing this problem, considering no Blackberry's I've had ever had the issue.

    The new one has been fine though, I'm going to try the screws though if it happens again.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    I kinda had this prob on the first week, but once I got the SNES emulator .... buttons are now ok. I assume it's b/c I've been playing a lot of Contra & Tetris Battle Gaiden.
    where did you find tetris?
  7. mland550's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mike25 View Post
    I can't believe you posted this, this same issue has been a problem for me since about a week after I got mine. I put up with it for a week or so and then I called Palm to send me a new one citing poor build quality and they did.

    It's hideously annoying and when you pay $400 for an unlocked one like I did I was really upset to be experiencing this problem, considering no Blackberry's I've had ever had the issue.

    The new one has been fine though, I'm going to try the screws though if it happens again.
    Glad your new one is quiet. I've had 3 now and my current one still makes the noise, even with loosening the screws that jfme suggested. It's really annoying, especially since I bought mine unlocked, like you, and since I'm coming from the Sony Ericsson K790a, which had awesome build quality. At this point it's so annoying I'm ready to return the phone altogether and go back to the 750, even with the low-res screen and buggy WM5, at least it didn't creak like it was a 5-year old phone.

    Which color did you get, by the way?

    -Matt
  8. #8  
    You've gone through three! I don't know if I'd have the patience for that but I really love the Palm OS so I guess I would.

    I got mine in Crimson red, and the replacement they sent me is red also. I was intrigued by the copper but they discontinued it. (Though I think they re-added it again).

    I'm suprised the 750 doesn't make the same noise since I thought the 680 and 750 were built extremely similar. I personally cannot use a 750 since I don't think WM5 does what I would like it to, specifically it underperforms int he calendar area, where Palm OS you can color code and add multiple events and see them visually, you only get a little black triangle on WM5.

    I hope it works out for you though.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    This was an old 600 issue or 650 I don't remember... interesting... I was at Palm Road show and one of the developers changed out my keyboard in front of me..
    My 600 had this issue. Apparently very fine dust/grit can get between the button and a plastic overlay that is sandwiched in betweeen (don't know if this is the same construction in the 680). Several blasts of canned air helped for a while, but it always came back. Annoying, but no damage resulted during it's 3+ yrs of use.

    Not particularly helpful advice, sorry, but in my experience, not necesarily a fatal flaw (unless you chuck it out the window because of the annoyance).

    Cheers.
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"

Posting Permissions