1.    #1  
    So I have a treo 750 but i hate the windows OS. I want to either get an unlocked 680 or a 650. The 650 will be cheaper. Is it worth getting a 650 or is the 680 way better. Help
    Here's a couple of threads from this forum on the subject...

Back to 650
    Upgrade from a 650...you bet!

And a TreoCentral video comparison, and a TC textual comparison

I will assume that you are aware of the 680 battery problems.
    Last edited by johncc; 01/27/2007 at 05:00 AM.
    For me, the memory difference between the 650 and the 680 made the upgrade worth it. I hated running my apps from and transferring all my files to an SD card. I have all my 650 apps plus about 20 more on the 680 and only put music, books and video on the SD card. I still have over 40MB of memory left on the 680

Also, my 650 still spontaneously resets about once a day and my 680 hasn't reset itself one time since I got it at Christmas...
    I've never been low on memory, so there is not much of any reason to upgrade. Plus, I could not get by with the battery life of the 680, even when it is working properly.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I've never been low on memory, so there is not much of any reason to upgrade. Plus, I could not get by with the battery life of the 680, even when it is working properly.
    I agree, I've never been low on memory, the only plus for update for me is Wifi. Treo 680 do not have. I still with my 650, better battery, price low, same functions, etc.
    As always, it will depend. My 680 experience (having upgraded from a 650) has been stellar. In large measure, the reset woes of my 650 (once every few days, at best) was due not to RAM size but instead DBcache size. People say "memory" and mean lots of different things. Sure, storage space increased signficantly, but I'd managed to keep most things on SD (still do) and be happy about it. My problem was that with the background email and IM applications I use, DBcache or the dynamic heap would invariably be exhausted and result in a spontaneous reset.

On the 680, not only did storage RAM increase but so did DBcache and dynamic heap. This is a similar (different memory models, remember) change, incidentally, that occurred between the 700W and 700WX/750... and it resulted in a much more stable WM experience there. To give you an idea, I've attached a screen shot showing my current memory figures. Unfortunately I don't have one from my old 650 to compare, but I can tell you that dynamic heap would have been a problem here... the smaller size and allocation requirements would frag it to the point where eventually programs couldn't get memory and crashes result. A good example is resets caused when you get a phone call... and, no, it's not fun. No such problems with the 680, even though the OS level isn't much better.

Now, that said, I do actually like the changes to the phone application. I don't much like the loss of the right shift key -- though I fixed that in software using LudusP. That said, I find the 680 keyboard style much nicer to use (more squared and flatter key caps). I do a fair amount of email and IM on my device -- almost like my blackberry days -- and I find the keyboard more enjoyable to tap on without fatigue; the rounded lower edges of the 680 case also help with this. I *very* much enjoy the loss of that stubby antenna annoyance, and I further enjoy the change doing so caused in the placement of the SD card slot. No longer do I have problems with a small tumble of the phone causing my SIM and/or SD card to pop out.

So that's my stream of consciousness list of why I vastly prefer the 680 to the 650 despite needing to keep a closer eye on battery usage -- at least until Plam tracks down and fixes whatever power consumption beasties are going on; the camera was just a start.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  7.    #7  
    Hows the voice quality on the 650 versus the 680?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Yaa.
    Why not see if someone will trade you, asssuming no one is going to use the 750?

A no cost trade - everyone wins, right?
  10. lms
    Quote Originally Posted by jprincipe View Post
    Hows the voice quality on the 650 versus the 680?
    680 is noticably better. I have them both. I will probably get rid of the 680 though due to the fact that I can't get a day's worth of work out of it before the battery dies.
    Is the battery really that bad? or is it just the battery indicator that is out of sync?? http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/01/tr..._batter_1.html

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    680 is noticably better. I have them both. I will probably get rid of the 680 though due to the fact that I can't get a day's worth of work out of it before the battery dies.
    I consider the 650 to currently be the best phone on the market. To the extent that at the same price as any other phone I'd still recommend it.

Why?

Because it is well supported and has become the de facto measuring stick for Palm Software. I've noticed that the 600 and 700 get shafted on software compatability. The 700 partly because it is so new, and also partly because so many people own 650s and have no reason/interest to upgrade (the 600 because of the poor graphics). Customizing the 650's ROM - which I'm very glad I personally did - is safe and easy because a free program called the "ROM Tool" which, unless I'm mistaken, there exists no analogue for the 700p or 680 yet.

Finally, there are fewer problems on the 650. The Bluetooth could be better, but I've heard the 700p is worse!

Ultimately I think that the 700p will be the best phone on the market - once Palm starts to release updates for it and the 680. I personally believe they'll keep the 700p updates coming longer than the 680 because (a) Cingular sucks at encouraging updates from companies while CDMA providers have a huge incentive to keep people happy with their non-transferable phones, and (b) because Palm would be foolish to have the 680 be "better" than the more costly 700p when all is said and done.

In Summary:
    Treo 650 has many kinks worked out already for those having little patience.
    The 680 and 700p will eventually become better phones, but currently their lack of market penetration (relative to the 650) and the lack of Palm updates have them operating at well below their potential.

On a side note... Congrats on ditching Windows Mobile! I had an Audiovox SMT 6500 on Cingular. It was the flagship phone on which Microsoft showcased their cutting-edge OS improvements - thousands of pictures of it running the newest software and never once a single update offered to millions of users (no Treo user is ever allowed to complain about the lack of updates to me). The Palm OS has a questionable long-term future, but it currently trumps WM on everything that matters.