Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone out there started writing hacks for Treos yet?? (like they have for the TIVO and stuff).

The Treo 680 is making me mental (to the point that I want to throw it against the wall) over the way the re-designed the main intro screens.

I hate how the favorite list is now its own screen and is big single spaced buttons - it was so much better at the bottom of the dialpad screen with the side by side boxes.

I also hate how you now have to click two times to dial a number out of the contacts. You have to click once on the number and then again top confirm it in a second window.

I also hate this four screen main screen deal - with that totally useless screen in the middle (which is the only one that will display the time).

It doesn't seem you can change the order of the screens and you cant even re-assign the four main buttons - it will only allow you to re-assign two of them.

Are there any hacks out there to make the main screen function the way it ALWAYS has since the Treo first came out????

Who though this needed re-designing, without at the very least giving us the option of using it in the original way?

Thanks for any advice anyone has.
    Quote Originally Posted by erikaf View Post
    I also hate how you now have to click two times to dial a number out of the contacts. You have to click once on the number and then again top confirm it in a second window.
    ...or you can just hit the green dial key which dials the number out of contacts right away.

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Sounds like you want something like ZLauncher and the ability it provides to skin your Treo.
    Has anyone out there started writing hacks for Treos yet?? (like they have for the TIVO and stuff).

The Treo 680 is making me mental (to the point that I want to throw it against the wall) over the way the re-designed the main intro screens.

I hate how the favorite list is now its own screen and is big single spaced buttons - it was so much better at the bottom of the dialpad screen with the side by side boxes.

Use the green key.

I also hate this four screen main screen deal - with that totally useless screen in the middle (which is the only one that will display the time).
    So change the default screen shown in the prefs... You want the time, install KeyGuardTime+, it's better anyway.

It doesn't seem you can change the order of the screens and you cant even re-assign the four main buttons - it will only allow you to re-assign two of them.
    LudusP.

EDIT: Fixed my mispeeeling of KeyGuardTime+, sorry about that
    Last edited by khaytsus; 01/27/2007 at 03:58 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the responses. I started reading back and found the green button instant dial for the contacts and that solves that one.

I am going to check out those other 2 apps you guys mention.

Thanks. I still think it was so much easier when you had access to all that stuff off one screen rather then it being split over four now.
  6.    #6  
    Help! Can't find KeyGaurdTime+ anywhere!!
    Try here -
    http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...eyguardTime%2B
    My bad, I hosed the spelling.. I edited the post.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Well, I hate to say it but I agree with you. I was fully prepared to buy something totally different. I went from my 650 to the 680. We don't have the 700 here in Canada yet. I made a major error in judgement. I was so frustrated with my 650, that I went in to a Rogers dealer, asked a few questions about the 680, compared it to the blackberry and made a hasty buying decision. Totally out of character but I thought it should at least address the issues I have had with my 650.

WRONG. Not 24 hours later, and here is what I have deduced. Waste of time!
    Problems:
    1. All the ones that you mentioned previously. Can't change tabs, moving favorites and editing etc is a pain.
    2. Fully charged battery is almost empty by noon with 2 phone calls.
    3. Slow moving from one tab to next.
    4. This is the big one. I have never seen a more simple, boring, uninspired, Mr Magoo driven keypad and tab page in my life. Toolbar on bottom good idea, if it had any pizzaz like a Mac desktop. Useless phone tab in the middle. Don't get it

Does anyone else think this is bushleague? Almost black and white. No real effort for graphic bling. Buttons have no real punch or definition etc. It looks like something my 7 year old drew up on a page with a pencil.

I have been a Treo guy since the first one launched. I joined this forum a few years ago and have not contributed since. I am also not a big tech guy so I don't really load much 3rd party software.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to alter the interface graphics or at least make it look like something from 2007 and not 1987?
    I read a thread that refers to ZLauncher. Had a quick look but it seems more complicated to load and use than I would be confortable with.
    What about some simple skins etc

There are a few nice changes, but I can't stand to look at the screen!!!
    Any thoughts, appreciate the love
    Late
    Yes has anyone figured out a hack to make the Treo work like a phone which doesnt freeze?
    Quote Originally Posted by krinko View Post
    WRONG. Not 24 hours later, and here is what I have deduced. Waste of time!
    Problems:
    1. All the ones that you mentioned previously. Can't change tabs, moving favorites and editing etc is a pain.
    2. Fully charged battery is almost empty by noon with 2 phone calls.
    3. Slow moving from one tab to next.
    4. This is the big one. I have never seen a more simple, boring, uninspired, Mr Magoo driven keypad and tab page in my life. Toolbar on bottom good idea, if it had any pizzaz like a Mac desktop. Useless phone tab in the middle. Don't get it
    Late
    Maybe its just me, but I dont really understand alot of what you are saying (probably cos I dont write hacks, but ....)
    point 2 - have you installed and activated the camera patch and calibrated the battery meter? - should fix that problem.
    point 3 - many comment that it is faster and more responsive - so maybe you have something else going on with your particular 680, or software you have installed.
    Point 4 - Mr Magoo driven keypad???. (what about the Touche Turtle inspired stylus)
    Last edited by DIG; 02/08/2007 at 02:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    No I have not done anything. I just bought the 680 yesterday and I assumed that it should be fully updated. Maybe I'm wrong. I had no idea that there were some patches and battery issues until I had it for a day. Again, my bad, but I did NOT do any research , nor had I tapped into this forum prior to buying. Had I done my due diligence, I would have understood some of these issues. I'm simply responding to my immediate frustration with the 680.

As far as the Mr. Magoo comment, have you seen the size of the buttons on the touch keypad? They are huge, they lack any styling, color or at the very least, a 3D type button. The tabs at the bottom are just as weak.
    I guess I was expecting something a little snazzier in terms of how the initial start up screen looks. ie: blackberry, HP etc. The tabs should bubble or at least light up as you scroll through them.

As I said, I think there are a lot of great upgrades on this device, and I understand the operating platform is much more stable, just disappointed about the weak graphic look to the screens. Again, any suggestions on how to improve these with the current programming on the phone, or are there some cool skins that someone could recommend.

Thanks for your reply though
    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by krinko View Post
    No I have not done anything. I just bought the 680 yesterday and I assumed that it should be fully updated. Maybe I'm wrong. I had no idea that there were some patches and battery issues until I had it for a day. Again, my bad, but I did NOT do any research , nor had I tapped into this forum prior to buying. Had I done my due diligence, I would have understood some of these issues. I'm simply responding to my immediate frustration with the 680.

As far as the Mr. Magoo comment, have you seen the size of the buttons on the touch keypad? They are huge, they lack any styling, color or at the very least, a 3D type button. The tabs at the bottom are just as weak.
    I guess I was expecting something a little snazzier in terms of how the initial start up screen looks. ie: blackberry, HP etc. The tabs should bubble or at least light up as you scroll through them.

As I said, I think there are a lot of great upgrades on this device, and I understand the operating platform is much more stable, just disappointed about the weak graphic look to the screens. Again, any suggestions on how to improve these with the current programming on the phone, or are there some cool skins that someone could recommend.

Thanks for your reply though
    Cheers

Try TAKEphONE 7.0 -- great skins, a lot of functionality, basically takes over the phone app. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=128257

There are some additional skins here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=128339 and here: http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1104.html
    You can also set your preferences to display wallpaper instead of the dialpad and use a picture of anything you want.
    Another Canuck 680 user on Rogers here, and l have no problems at all. Camera patch and just general breaking in of the battery improved that issue. Phone app went wonky on me for a while but then l discovered it was due to a 3rd party app conflict (skinUI). DialByPhoto makes the interface look sooo much better too!

EDIT: There is one hack out there. It's the call duration hack, which adds "call duration" back to the call log.
    Last edited by +Kardboard+; 02/08/2007 at 11:20 PM.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  16.    #16  
    LudusP - so this works on Treo 680? I just downloaded it and their website says its for the 700P, but I am guessing it will be ok on my 680?
    I've asked about this as well. Is LudusP FULLY compatible with the 680?
    Yes, but you could have deduced that by searching for LudusP.

And as for those griping about the phone app.. Do you really stay in the Phone app all the time?
  19.    #19  
    Hi all -
    Ok so here it goes. LudusP rocks!! Totally compatible with Treo 680 and solves so many issues with having to re-lean the buttons.

I still hate the main phone button layout with the menu tabs.

I installed TakephOne 7.0 and it rocks to. The preferences Menu's are a little overwhelming because they let you customize it in about a million ways, but it is super easy to use and so much better designed then the retarded Treo 680 main menus.

Here is my issue -PLEASE SOMEONE HELP - When I set it up and was playing with it last night it seemed to be working great, but I wasn't calling anyone.
    As I have been using it today, everytime I make or get a call, after I hang up, the phone reverts back to the original Treo menus (like a bad acid flashback) and then does a kind of re-boot into the TakephOne Menus that has about a 2 second delay to complete.

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I have some box checked wrong or need to shut something else off?
    Oh, so you mean you have "return to takephone" "after all calls" set.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast