Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I bought Kinoma because I felt the upgrade price of 14 dollars was fair.

I played around with it for 2 or 3 days and haven't been back to it since. I actually forgot I had it on the Treo.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Maybe I need a tutorial on how to make the most of Kinoma or something because i'm not feeling it.
    I rarely use it and when I do it's for YouTube or checking out the Internet web cams. I just like having it on for those rare times I may want to check something out.
    I don't like the program very much, but use it for streaming Windows Media and Flash video.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Dear god.. I use Kinoma nearly every day. Kinoma + orb.com = sweet sweet streaming goodness of my cable channels, tv shows, video podcasts, and other video files I have.. anywhere....everywhere....
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Dear god.. I use Kinoma nearly every day. Kinoma + orb.com = sweet sweet streaming goodness of my cable channels, tv shows, video podcasts, and other video files I have.. anywhere....everywhere....
    co-sign... I love orb, and I really like how Kinoma handles podcasts,
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    OK, so it looks like there are those who don't utilize this program, like me. But, then there are some who love it like the 2 posters who combine it with Orb.

Is there a tutorial or walkthrough on how to do this? Can someone simply explain it? And, are we talking about watching real TV?

I'd love to get the most out of Kinoma.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    I was disappointed after purchasing this program. I kept getting buffer errors on just about everything I tried. Maybe I should check out orb as well.
  8. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I definitely fall in this category. I was taken by the video streaming features. Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me until after i purchased it that my t-mob data connection wouldn't have enough bandwidth. I guess i can always view from bluetooth.
    Yes - stopped using it...wasn't the end-all be all app I thought it would be. Another $25 down the Treo drain. Actually - most of the software I've paid for has been worth every penny (Chatter, Datebk, Splash products, lexspell...)
    (buffer errors) I'm on a 650, so if I can enjoy kinoma anybody should be able to... what I do when streaming is let the buffer fill half way up before trying to watch a video... (as soon as the video starts to play I pause it & let the buffer fill up)

(orb) maybe I'm just lucky, but I get good results considering I'm on a 650... here's the 1st clip I made with orb & live tv

and here is the second clip I made, because someone asked for a steady cam & better lighting...
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    (buffer errors) I'm on a 650, so if I can enjoy kinoma anybody should be able to... what I do when streaming is let the buffer fill half way up before trying to watch a video... (as soon as the video starts to play I pause it & let the buffer fill up)

(orb) maybe I'm just lucky, but I get good results considering I'm on a 650... here's the 1st clip I made with orb & live tv

and here is the second clip I made, because someone asked for a steady cam & better lighting...
    saw the video and was impressed, especially for a 650.

Any chance you can explain how to use Orb and Kinoma?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Well, it's not much harder than signing up for an Orb.com account, installing orb and pointing it to your media files, then point blazer to mycast.orb.com and login, pick whatever of your media you want to stream and answer, Yes, yes, save and open. Kinoma will pop up and start streaming that media.

If you have a supported tv tuner on that computer, you can watch tv as well.

Just make sure that when you login with blazer to mycast.orb.com - go to Settings and set a static speed of 100k. Otherwise orb will mis-measure the speed between your orb pc and your treo and you'll never get anything to stream. 100k will let you get really good quality, but it will push your connection to the limit. If the cell network is really busy or you have poor signal it won't work as well - but it can work quite nicely.

Besides using it to stream video podcasts and other media I have, I also use it as a 'PVR' for recording NPR radio shows off of my local NPR station's internet stream. Works really well and is definitely within the bandwidth limits of a treo 650.
    Question:
    Kinoma + Orb + slingmedia = what on a 650?
    Thanks
    -g-
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Buffering is a problem, it makes it unplayable - I end up downloading FLV files via my Mac and then copying them to my treo.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    If you have a supported tv tuner on that computer, you can watch tv as well.

treo 650.[/QUOTE]

Is there some sort of wireless TV tuner for laptops?
    I use it for streaming only. I don't care for how it works with music (interface and functionality) I am disappointed that it does not currently work with Softkik Audio Gateway. They are supposed to fix that soon. Kinoma was supposed to release an update somewhere around XMAS time and so far has not. Reminds me of Palm.

I am actually more disappointed in the new Coreplayer. So far, it does NOT do what promised and actually TCMP (which is free) will work great with SAG where Coreplayer won'r work at all. Also, TCMP supports MORE file types than Coreplayer. They both need work but Kinoma is much more useful at present than Coreplayer is.
    I've been discouraged from using Kinoma, PocketTunes, etc. after reading about problems with the jack, heat, and other things which have begun giving me the impression that any kind of long term use of the Treo as a device to stream or play stored music, podcasts, etc. will eventually lead to a problem.

I hope I am wrong about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    I use it for streaming only. I don't care for how it works with music (interface and functionality) I am disappointed that it does not currently work with Softkik Audio Gateway. They are supposed to fix that soon. Kinoma was supposed to release an update somewhere around XMAS time and so far has not. Reminds me of Palm.

I am actually more disappointed in the new Coreplayer. So far, it does NOT do what promised and actually TCMP (which is free) will work great with SAG where Coreplayer won'r work at all. Also, TCMP supports MORE file types than Coreplayer. They both need work but Kinoma is much more useful at present than Coreplayer is.
    (SAG) sag works with my setup, no avrcp controls, but the sound definitely works... are you on a 700 or 650? I'm using a 650 SAG1.08

like you I have no luck with sag & the core player, but it is nice eyecandy, and it does play m4v(ipod) files better than tcpmp, but thats about it...
    I love kinoma, I use it everyday. I use it for playing videos I download from youtube as well as listening to the radio when I'm at work.

There was an upgrade for kinoma, from 4 to 4.0.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    (SAG) sag works with my setup, no avrcp controls, but the sound definitely works... are you on a 700 or 650? I'm using a 650 SAG1.08

like you I have no luck with sag & the core player, but it is nice eyecandy, and it does play m4v(ipod) files better than tcpmp, but thats about it...
    I'm using a 700P and an Plantronics 590A headset along with the newest build of SAG (1.08.899). The setup is EXTREMELY UNSTABLE, but it is so nice when it works, I'm willing to put up with it for now. Hopefully Palm will soon update the bluetooth which will make it more stable.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast