1.    #1  
    I recently picked up a Treo 680, and initially installed the Palm Desktop to use for synching contacts and everything else. At this point I haven't used it yet, though plan to start setting up all my entries soon.

But before I do that, what reasons would you choose one over the other? I saw a poll that showed a slight favor towards Outlook (55/45), though some people did use both.

My use is personal, and at home I do not use Outlook for any reason. At work we do use Outlook, but currently don't support email for cellphone (if that changes, it won't be for awhile).

So in my case should I just stick with the Palm Desktop? Any major pros/cons for using one over the other?

(Edited to add that this should of went in the Synchronization sub-forum..........if appropriate, please move).
    Last edited by DurtyD; 01/26/2007 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong sub-forum
    If you use Cingular, you can download Xpressmail and you have access to your email with out IT. It will use the internet to connect to your computer. Down side is you have to leave your computer with Outlook on all the time. I was using Palm Desktop but then switched to Outlook and have really liked using Outlook. Before the Treo, I liked Outlook for the easy editing(Microsoft Word) of calendar and tasks. When I got my Treo, I really like Outlook, b/c I can update calendar appointments on my Outlook from my Treo. The only con is we use a Microsoft Exchange Server and I noticed an incredible increase in HotSync time. Other than that I am a happy Outlook Syncer.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I used Palm Desktop when I used Outllok Express as my email but after using Outlook at work and making the switch at home all my contacts were there. I find the Treo to be a great way to sync my contacts for my home and work PC's.
    Here's the most important factor that should drive your decision, and only you can decide which way is best for the way you work.

If you want your contacts, meetings, tasks integrated with email, then go with Outlook. If you don't use Outlook for email then go with Palm Desktop as Outlook is far too bloated to just manage your PIM data. Palm Desktop will do a very adequate job of that, or check out Agendus for Windows Palm Desktop if you want to add some functionality to a Palm Desktop-like interface.

Someone said you can use both. Not on the same PC unless you use SwitchSync which I have but don't use currently because it's problematic. Otherwise, you must choose one or the other because they use different hotsync conduits. You can use Outlook (conduits) on one PC and Palm Desktop (Palm conduits) on another PC.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    I think wellsjs wrapped it up beautifully there. I use Palm Desktop because I don't like to load large programs like Outlook if I have an option. If you must use Outlook for whatever reason, then it would seem the obvious choice. However, Palm Desktop pops up really fast, is quite efficient at quite a few things, and is almost rock solid for syncing.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks - with what both wellsjs and copernicus said, seems like the Palm Desktop is what I want to be using.
    Yeah, and you can easily move to Outlook later if you want or need to deal with it.
    If only someone add pop mail capability to palm desktop ... or even mail client like thunderbird with an extension to read/search email addresses from palm desktop db ... I'll ditch my outlook in a blink.
    There is some integration with your default email client using Agendus for Windows Palm Desktop Edition. For instance you can right click on a contact and click "send email" and your default (Outlook, Outlook Express, and I think it will work with others but haven't tested) email client will popup the blank email with address inserted, ready to type away!
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    First of all, you can sync to both Outlook and the Palm Desktop simultaneously by using Chapura Pocket Mirror. (It came free with another Palm device that I have.) I do it on one of the 3 computers that I sync my 650 with.

In terms of functionality, Outlook has more than the Palm Desktop, but the downsides are that it has a flawed implementation of IMAP email, can be slow, and I have found it to be needlessly complicated (if you aren't using an Exchange server), and to become corrupted over time, requiring maintenance and reinstalls, etc.

With regard to future compatibility, Palm OS appears to me to be dying, but the data can always be exported to whatever format dominates in the future (ie Windows, Apple, or Google calendar).

Finally, an important issue for me is that I sync my Treo to a computer at work and I do not wish to leave files from Treo on a computer that I do not ultimately own. The Palm OS can be installed to a thumb drive, as can Firefox, Thunderbird, and Open Office--meaning that everything you do on the computer can be taken away on a keychain and not left behind. It is impossible to not install at least some components of Outlook on the same drive with system files (as far as I can tell) and Outlook leaves traces of your personal information everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
    First of all, you can sync to both Outlook and the Palm Desktop simultaneously by using Chapura Pocket Mirror. (It came free with another Palm device that I have.) I do it on one of the 3 computers that I sync my 650 with.
    That's a nifty trick since I use PocketMirror also and cannot simultaneously sync my data to both Outlook and Palm Desktop. As I understand it, even with Palm Desktop conduits installed, PM conduits override them. My Palm Desktop is completely void of PIM info with PM syncing to Outlook. Please explain how you are doing what you claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    That's a nifty trick since I use PocketMirror also and cannot simultaneously sync my data to both Outlook and Palm Desktop. As I understand it, even with Palm Desktop conduits installed, PM conduits override them. My Palm Desktop is completely void of PIM info with PM syncing to Outlook. Please explain how you are doing what you claim.
    Nothing special. Just installed from the Treo 650 (setting it to sync to Palm Desktop) and then installed Chapura v. 5.1 (from 2001). During a Hot Sync it first calls up the Chapura window then syncs with the Palm Desktop. I sync two Palm devices on this PC to the same calendars, too, by the way.
    Something is not lining up here. Chapura Pocket Mirrror 5.1 from 2001? How is it I'm using PM 4.2.2 released 12/19/2006? The current PM version does not allow dual Palm Desktop/Outlook syncing. When I went to Start -> All Programs -> Palm -> PIM Conduit Sync and select Palm Desktop, I get a warning of "An application other than Palm Desktop or Microsoft Outlook is already set to manage your calendar, contacts, notes, and tasks. - Do you want Palm Desktop to manage this information?"

Answering "Yes" kills the PocketMirror connection/conduit management and enables Palm Desktop only. Your 2001 vintage Pocket Mirror must work differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    Something is not lining up here. Chapura Pocket Mirrror 5.1 from 2001? How is it I'm using PM 4.2.2 released 12/19/2006? The current PM version does not allow dual Palm Desktop/Outlook syncing. When I went to Start -> All Programs -> Palm -> PIM Conduit Sync and select Palm Desktop, I get a warning of "An application other than Palm Desktop or Microsoft Outlook is already set to manage your calendar, contacts, notes, and tasks. - Do you want Palm Desktop to manage this information?"

Answering "Yes" kills the PocketMirror connection/conduit management and enables Palm Desktop only. Your 2001 vintage Pocket Mirror must work differently.
    I'm sorry, it's version "3.1.6.0 (OEM)", came with the Garmin iQue; Palm Desktop version 4.1.4; and Outlook 2003 (11.6568.5606). MS Office was installed first, then the Palm Desktop from the Treo 650 Installation CD (setting it to sync to Palm Desktop), then Chapura Pocket Mirror from the Garmin iQue install disk. I did this on two PC's running Windows XP (a laptop and desktop) and both work in this manner. I should also add that for these two PCs, the Treo always overwrites the desktop, but I don't suppose that's a factor. Good luck. It can be done.
    I'd like to know more about installing the palm desktop software to a thumb drive.

My company does not want palm installed on company PCs....so all ability to install software to the pc is restricted. Are you saying I could use my personal PC & install Palm desktop to a thumb drive & then use that thumb drive on my WORK pc & be able to hot sync to that thumb drive on my work pc?