Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey if anybodys interested, the 3.5mm to 2.5mm right angle headphone adaptors at Radio Shack, or The Source work perfectly with the Treo 680. Didn't work with my Blackberry or my Sony Ericsson. I now use my 680 as my rolling music source through my aux. input in my car, AWSOME.
    there are better solutions than the right angle adapter which put less stress on phone jack. Seidio has an adapter that uses the universal connector. Others have a 3" wire between the 3.5 and 2.5 connectors. Both are preferred over what you are using.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    there are better solutions than the right angle adapter which put less stress on phone jack. Seidio has an adapter that uses the universal connector. Others have a 3" wire between the 3.5 and 2.5 connectors. Both are preferred over what you are using.
    What are you talking about? The adaptor is the same as plugging a set of headphones into the jack, how can there be any "stress" on the jack, if that's the case then simply plugging in a set of headphone would cause stress, that's just silly.
    I know what swieder is talking about - if you've gotten away with using your 2.5 jack without having any problems, count yourself lucky. On my old 650 after a few months of use the jack malfunctioned with normal use and started telling the phone that the jack was in use even when it was unplugged. That means the phone disables the speaker on the front and back of the phone, and the only way to use the phone is to use a headset plugged into the jack. After a month or so of doing that, the jack stopped working altogether and I couldn't use the phone application under any scenario. I had to send the phone in for a warranty replacement, and just put a padded little sticker over the jack and never had problems after that. I haven't heard that the same issues have occured with the 680 so far, but it's the exact same jack that the 650 had, so again - if you're using the jack every day and not running into problems, count your blessings.
    I picked up 2 adaptors from TreoCentral (the ones that have a tiny cable between the plugs) and found that when used with my $20 Sony headphones, or with my fairly high quality Phillips headphones, the quality of sound was no where near the headphones that came with the unit (700p). They worked fine for news or podcasts though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloggernot View Post
    What are you talking about? The adaptor is the same as plugging a set of headphones into the jack, how can there be any "stress" on the jack, if that's the case then simply plugging in a set of headphone would cause stress, that's just silly.
    This was a common issue with the 650 as mentioned.
    The right angle plus the length of the adapter arm creates leverage, allowing you to accidently yank the jack at an angle. You don't realize how weak this jack is (search the 650 threads, it's all over the place. in fact, look at the sticky on top of that board.).
    If you use your jack, whether it's with this adapter or the headset, it will likely fail on you at some time. The way it fails is that it 'thinks' that a headset is plugged in, thus you get no sound out of your speakers and your mic doesn't work properly.

Based on some threads I've seen already, I don't expect the 680 to be any different.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    This was a common issue with the 650 as mentioned.
    The right angle plus the length of the adapter arm creates leverage, allowing you to accidently yank the jack at an angle. You don't realize how weak this jack is (search the 650 threads, it's all over the place. in fact, look at the sticky on top of that board.).
    If you use your jack, whether it's with this adapter or the headset, it will likely fail on you at some time. The way it fails is that it 'thinks' that a headset is plugged in, thus you get no sound out of your speakers and your mic doesn't work properly.

Based on some threads I've seen already, I don't expect the 680 to be any different.
    Unfortunately, there have been quite a few similar problems with the 700p as well, which have led me to the same conclusion: it's only a matter of time. This has resulted in my just not using the Treo to listen to music or streaming radio as much, in spite of the fact that, in every other way, it performs these tasks brilliantly.
    I agree Copernicus.
    I was such a fan of convergence, and vowed never to buy an iPod (what for when the Treo does this?). Then I received one for Christmas, and around the same time, my Treo jack went out on me. I've decided to leave the weak Treo jack alone from now on; at least I have an iPod now to listen to music.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    You're much better off getting the adaptor that has a very compact 2.5" right-angle connector with a short piece of cable to the 3.5" adaptor jack. No stress. Those solid adaptors are bad news unless you like breaking your headphone jack which hoses the whole Treo pretty much.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    compact 2.5"
    Bit of an oxymoron
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tccentex View Post
    I know what swieder is talking about - if you've gotten away with using your 2.5 jack without having any problems, count yourself lucky. .................. I haven't heard that the same issues have occured with the 680 so far, but it's the exact same jack that the 650 had, so again - if you're using the jack every day and not running into problems, count your blessings.
    Well I for one have now got this problem with my 680 after only 1 month!! Is an absolute pain.....why oh why Palm couldn't just include a regular reliable 3.5 jack like the rest of the known universe...I don't know!!

I use my Treo extensively for music/podcasts in the car....in fact one of the best things about it....but to have this problem is an absolute pain! (Can now no longer receive phone calls in the normal way....probably get the warranty repair next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Bit of an oxymoron
    Yeah yeah, I meant millimeters of course.
    You're much better off getting the adaptor that has a very compact 2.5" right-angle connector with a short piece of cable to the 3.5" adaptor jack. No stress. Those solid adaptors are bad news unless you like breaking your headphone jack which hoses the whole Treo pretty much.
    Those are the ones I got from TreoCentral, but I noticed a marked decline in audio quality, especially when compared to the ones included with the Treo 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    I was such a fan of convergence, and vowed never to buy an iPod (what for when the Treo does this?). Then I received one for Christmas, and around the same time, my Treo jack went out on me. I've decided to leave the weak Treo jack alone from now on; at least I have an iPod now to listen to music.
    Yes, I am thinking of an iPod like solution now as well.
    I initially bought the long stick adapter from Radio Hack but on my recent travel I noticed ATL APT had a Palm/Seido store on the Concourse..I bought the short Right Angle from them and returned the stick, I-Go Airplane Battery Charger (no plug for it on the plane!), and the Moto 590A Wireless Headsets to Radio Hack.

I was thinking Wireless to avoid the plug - didnt like the 590 cans but hoping the Jabra BT8010 are 1)compatible w/650 2)are worth the promising looks/feature set... http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/EM/EN/...10/JabraBT8010

good find from aprasad
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Those are the ones I got from TreoCentral, but I noticed a marked decline in audio quality, especially when compared to the ones included with the Treo 700p.
    You must have a dud! There is no way a properly constructed adaptor could impact on audio performance. (It is just shielded wires after all.)
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloggernot View Post
    You won't think it is silly the first time that the wire gets snagged on something in the car and instead of pulling straight out of the bottom of the Treo, the sideways stress on the Treo's jack separates it from the circuit board...

But, having said that, the right angle connector is much better if you stick the Treo into a sideways belt holster.

Sunil
    Casio BOSS -> Palm Vx -> Sony Clie -> 8525 (for two weeks) -> Palm Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You must have a dud! There is no way a properly constructed adaptor could impact on audio performance. (It is just shielded wires after all.)
    That's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    My 680 didn't have ear buds.. At least I don't think so...... My wife opened the boxes and plugged 'em in when they arrived, I haven't so much as opened the boxes. I'll have to look.

My adapter sounds good.. Although I keep saying I want to get some that have a native 2.5 plug as the adapter is a little heavy, kinda swings around when I'm walking.
    My 680 didn't have ear buds.. At least I don't think so...... My wife opened the boxes and plugged 'em in when they arrived, I haven't so much as opened the boxes. I'll have to look.

My adapter sounds good.. Although I keep saying I want to get some that have a native 2.5 plug as the adapter is a little heavy, kinda swings around when I'm walking.
    The 700p does come with headphones of *excellent* audio quality (never purchased the Shures or any of the high end units). In one of my posts above, maybe I should have said that using the adapter had a subtle but noticeable effect on the quality of the Sony and Phillips headphones I had been using on my CD player; and, it is the quality of the audio on my CD player that I am using as a point of reference when I express the feeling that it is influenced by the adapter. They sound a tad "flat" when compared to when I use them on the CD Player.

The build quality on the 700p's included headphones is not the greatest, but it is acceptable; the audio is actually the best I've heard on a device of this type. I suppose they are being sold by Palm retail but am not sure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast