Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I also get 100% after charging... AND THEN as soon as I unplug it reads 90% or 91%.

When I Reconnect the charger it starts charging again. No difference pre and post the Palm battery patch.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Yeah, it definitely should read 100% once unplugged, just like laptops (or at least my laptop) do. Granted, it won't read 100% for long, but if it's 100% it shouldn't read 99%. Just one more thing i hope Palm fixes, at least before the iPhone comes out!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Oh good lord, it will read 99% immediately. It's no longer 100% if it's off the charger.

I suppose Palm could do something like if >99%, print 100% but it's the same difference. Now, the issue where it discharges significantly while still on the charger is an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Oh good lord, it will read 99% immediately. It's no longer 100% if it's off the charger.
    A simple matter of logic...
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    So i guess my 600 that read 100% right off the charger was messed up somehow? And perhaps my laptop is messed up to since it reads 100% right off the charger. I just don't agree. If the battery life goes from 100% to 99% in the short time it takes to unplug it, then it's no wonder the battery life isn't very long. That's a 1% battery drain within about 1 second. On the other end of this problem are those that say they still have battery life after it says 0%. If it never should say 100%, then it should also never say 0%, because at that point it should be dead. Plus the fact that once taken off the charger it sounds like most people posting here are getting ranges anywhere from 99% to 91%. That's just not right!
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg View Post
    So i guess my 600 that read 100% right off the charger was messed up somehow? And perhaps my laptop is messed up to since it reads 100% right off the charger. I just don't agree. If the battery life goes from 100% to 99% in the short time it takes to unplug it, then it's no wonder the battery life isn't very long. That's a 1% battery drain within about 1 second. On the other end of this problem are those that say they still have battery life after it says 0%. If it never should say 100%, then it should also never say 0%, because at that point it should be dead. Plus the fact that once taken off the charger it sounds like most people posting here are getting ranges anywhere from 99% to 91%. That's just not right!

Back to reality... So? All Palms do this, period. Simple. It's not a 1%/sec drop. Is your runtime 100 seconds?
    Even with the camera update... MY habit has always been to leave my 650 charging all night... but with this 680, it sure seems that ONCE it's fully charged... IT DOES NOT trickle charge so I too get that drop off.

THIS PHONE charges relatively quickly. SO what I do unplug it, plug it back in, get it back to 99% and i'm good to go...

I should contact PALM about this... otherwise the phone is a beaut (the COPPER version does TURN heads... lol)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

Back to reality... So? All Palms do this, period. Simple. It's not a 1%/sec drop. Is your runtime 100 seconds?
    Are you here to add helpful comments, or just be a ****?
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg View Post
    Are you here to add helpful comments, or just be a ****?
    I've been called worse. Besides, I add helpful comments. I haven't seen any from you, but maybe you're useful somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloggernot View Post
    I've had my 680 for almost 4 weeks and after charging all night unplugging it and looking at the battery meter it's usually at around 94% never higher than 97%, but never 100%, it's been like this since new. I'd like to confirm that other 680's are getting 100% full charge so I can try to find out what the problem is.
    Mine is inconsistent -- sometimes I'll unplug my 680 from a charger and it'll be at 99% (it never shows 100% when off the charger...and the 650 didn't either), other times it'll be at 92% or so. I have three different wall warts and one car charger and I've seen the same thing with them all.

I usually check email before getting out of bed...I've gotten in the habit of reconnecting the charger while I'm in the shower so that I'm at 99% before leaving for work.

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    Hi all,

Here is my bit of advice regarding the 680 battery issue. This is my second 680 as the first had a physical defect. But I did get the first to charge properly and achieve 100%.

The best advice I can give is to run the 680 down completely where the 680 lets you know that it will shut down in 'x' seconds. I did this 3-4 times and now I achieve a 100% charge all the time and get decent battery life.

I also installed the camera patch and did the recommended reset with the charger pluggged in, etc. But I can tell you that nothing worked as well as alowing the battery run down completely 3-4 times, and then fully recharging. You don't have to do it back to back, but do it and see the difference.

Also, on another note, Li-Ion batteries don't 'like' a trickle charge. They function better when they receive a rapid full charge, and are not run down completely too often. Frequent charging is good for Li-Ion batteries. But the above procedure will "condition" your battery initially and make a huge difference in it achieving a full charge, and extending the duration of a charge.

I hope ths helps.
    i thought li ions dont have a memroy like ni cads
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I have had my 680 since they were released and my battery has never shown higher than 98%. Of course I would have to take it off the charger and recharge to get it there. But for the first time ever I now have 100%. I purchased the seidio 1300mAh battery and my first and second charge are registering 100% right out of the gate. I have also noticed that I am retaining a charge in the 90 - 97% range longer. Seidio says to condition the battery for 5-6 charges before you notice a real improvement. But I have to say I see a improvement right away.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i just got the seidio extended battery. after the initial recommended 8 hour charge it was 100%. as soon as i disconnected it the reading was 91%.
    morris stalk
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrie View Post
    i just got the seidio extended battery. after the initial recommended 8 hour charge it was 100%. as soon as i disconnected it the reading was 91%.
    How many charge cycles have you been through? I am curious to know if it will be better than my already conditioned OEM battery.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    this is just my first cycle. my previously conditioned battery was working great after all of the fixes.
    morris stalk
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    This is my second cycle. I took it off the charger at 6:35 Central and I now have 89% after a couple of phone calls, 15 mins of surfing, 5 mins of golf, and Chatter pulling every 10 mins.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i just recharged my seidio extended battery for the second time. both times it charged at 100%. the first time it immediately dropped to 91%. the second time it dropped to 99%. that is a significant improvement at this early stage.
    morris stalk
    As mentioned in my post, it seems the charger doesn't trickle... It fills the battery completely, then stops charging entirely. Or at least that's what it appears to do. So instead of doing a trickle to maintain the battery at 100%, it's as if it is completely unplugged.

So if you charge it past it being full, you're basically off the charger from then on. There's no harm here, but it'd be nice to start off full at the beginning of the day. I tend to only sleep about 6hr so mine is usually fine in the morning, but you lucky blokes that sleep 8-9hr might wind up a bit lower if you run networked apps.
    I think khaytsus may be right about the trickle charging problem. In post #11 above, I said that my battery meter was working fine after the camera patch and no SIM reset. For the past 9 days, it's been consistently at 99% after unplugging in the mornings. Today, I decided to try an experiment and let it keep charging well after I would have normally unplugged it. I left it plugged in for about 12 hours. When I unplugged it, the battery meter immediately dropped to 94%.
    My original battery works way better than the new one. I would guess I need to condition the meter for the new battery, but will that kill the performance of the original battery... I just don't know. My original battery, 99% every morning off the charger. New one 91-94% each morning.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast