Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I'm becoming increasingly leery of apps that require a reset after installation. Could someone explain why this reset is necessary? Is the installer installing or modifying system files and/or somehow modifying files stored in ROM, rather than simply installed new files into RAM? When I try to uninstall these apps, I always get a message saying that the app couldn't be completely or successfully removed, which always leaves me feeling kind of nervous.

Thanks in advance,
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    Some apps need to "hook" into the operating system to work properly, hence the reset. To delete, just do a warm reset, then delete, then soft reset and all will be back to normal.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    It's the similar reason why one needs to reboot after upgrading/ patching a Windows PC or software for it.

On SOFT RESET, the software may register for notifications etc. with the OS and get configured properly. It is the simplest way to do it (whatever needs to be done is required to be done at EVERY reset), other than adding code (possibly with more bugs) to the software to explicitly initialize itself on installation.

It is not possible to overwrite the files in ROM, though one could create "overlay" files (in Flash memory) to override the ones in the ROM. So a HARD RESET will always restore the device to the factory or updated (if a ROM updater has been applied) state.

On a WARM RESET, the initializations are NOT done so the applications are not registered for notifications, not "locked" etc. allowing one to delete the software completely and without problems.
    Last edited by GreenHex; 01/26/2007 at 09:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Great, thanks. What do I do after I've tried to uninstall one of these apps, not realizing or remembering that it required a reset after installation, and forgetting to do a warm reset first? This is where I get an error indicating that the uninstall was not completed successfully. I can't "re-uninstall" the app, so does this mean I'm left with excess gunk in RAM or in a prefs file? Will this slow down my Treo? Would reinstalling the app, doing a warm reset and then an uninstall solve the problem? Perhaps Northglide's "Cleanup" would come in handy?
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    The simplest method is to reinstall the application and then uninstall it after a warm-reset.

In any case, some applications leave fragments (esp. prefs and maybe some files too) that may not be deleted with most uninstalers or even the Palm delete functionality.

For that you need to use a file browser and keep track of the files (and saved preferences entries) created during the install and startup of a new application. Then you may delete them MANUALLY. There may be shared libraries (MathLib etc.) that are used by other applications too so one has to watch-out.

Sophisticated uninstallers, I suppose, do exist to automate this (but I'm not sure, so somebody else may comment on this).

Basically, it is all a black art.

---

Edit: OK, to add to all this, all application files and preference entries are tracked by "Creator IDs" (it's a unique four character code that the application developer is supposed to voluntarily register with Palm for free). Most uninstallers use this to identify and delete entries during uninstallation. But nothing prevents any application from creating (and accessing) files and preferences with Creator IDs other than their own. Many popular applications use multiple Creator IDs.
    Last edited by GreenHex; 01/26/2007 at 09:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by reubkov View Post
    I can't "re-uninstall" the app, so does this mean I'm left with excess gunk in RAM or in a prefs file? Will this slow down my Treo?
    No, it will not slow down the device, but it will occupy space and in some cases, fragment the memory (which is considered a bad thing).
    About the best uninstaller out there is Uninstall Manager by Northglide - www.northglide.com - look around the website, Peter (developer) has bunches of applications that might interest you.

Ben