1.    #1  
    I have an interesting idea and was wondering if anyone had a solution to this.

As many of you know, Verizon does not have unlimited text messaging. Yes, their current ads are extremely misleading as they say they do offer it. This is not the case. This is only to other verizon customers.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of any 3rd party software that, using your phone number, somehow sent messages through the internet thereby using bandwidth but not applying as an actual message? So essentially, instead of forwarding it through your cell to verizon to the other person's cell, it would route it through an HTTP protocol or server or something similar to, in effect, give you free unlimited messaging?

Any ideas?

Mapping:

Treo>> Verizon>> cell2, cell2>>verizon>>treo if confirming delivery is required.
    Instead, using
    Treo>>Verizon>>web>>cell2

Examples:

701-636-0000>>80.67.23.134>>701-432-3255;
    701-432-3255>>"701-636-0000" which would be 80.67.23.134 by some sort of forwarding>>actual 701-636-0000.

So in effect, Verizon would see it as "internet" not as "text". This is not illegal either, just as using third party software chat programs make it so that messages are not counted as text, but network (internet) charges.

Anyone think this could work?
    check out UPOC.com.....
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Simple Solution:

Use Chatter email to send a text message:

eg: 123-555-1212@vtext.com
    Quote Originally Posted by drrjv View Post
    Simple Solution:

Use Chatter email to send a text message:

eg: 123-555-1212@vtext.com
    Won't the person you're sending the vtext to get charged for an incoming text message?
    There are a few Widgets for the Mac platform that work very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Won't the person you're sending the vtext to get charged for an incoming text message?
    ehh screw them.. as long as you don't get charged j/k
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Try teleflip.com.
    You can send a TM through any email client (including free ones like Yahoo) using the tele #@teleflip.com.
    As I recall they will give you something like 5000 free messages....
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Well yes, but regardless of how you send your text message, they'd still get charged. The objective here is to for you to be able to send text messages without getting charged.

I'm sure most carriers have a way of receiving texts through email, as shown in drrjv's post. For sprint, I think it's 10digitnumber@sprint.com or 10digitnumber@messaging.sprint.com, not sure. I'm sure there are some for Cingular and T-Mobile too, just have to look for them.

This way, all you have to do is email the person and you won't get charged for sending the text.
    Hmmmm .. ok .. I'll ask (because I don't know the answer). I'm on a Sprint SERO plan with no provisions for text messaging. I think there is a .10 or .15 cent charge per message (??) ... is that outgoing or am I being charged for any incoming text messages???
    How about receiving free messages? Is it possible?
    That charge is for outgoing and incoming messages. The carrier is able to send free messages containing advertisement and/or alerts.
    another problem with the solutions here is that when you send with these, the receiving party won't know who sent them, as it usually listed as coming from the gateways
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    another problem with the solutions here is that when you send with these, the receiving party won't know who sent them, as it usually listed as coming from the gateways
    Maybe a signature would help?
    I took a different approach. I instead do *not* have Internet access on my cell plan (too costly), but I instead use text messages for everything. Yes, including google searches, weather information, and stock quotes. I use InfoNub and couldn't be happier.