1.    #1  
    Here it is. I'm going to continue to use Chatter for email and Versa to sync the contacts and calendar via DirectPush, I'm sure it will be selectable like ActiveSync on WM. We will be missing tasks and notes but I'm sure that will come later with an update. Well, at least we now know why Marc gave up on the PIM sync project!

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1071-1.htm
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Well, no, that's not why at all; indeed, I didn't know this was being released until I read the press release today.

Marc
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannatreo View Post
    Here it is. I'm going to continue to use Chatter for email and Versa to sync the contacts and calendar via DirectPush, I'm sure it will be selectable like ActiveSync on WM. We will be missing tasks and notes but I'm sure that will come later with an update. Well, at least we now know why Marc gave up on the PIM sync project!
    wannatreo: I tried VersaMail and the new update. In order to use PUSH, all three features: Mail, Contacts, and Calendar have to be turned on for "As Items Arrive". Try uncheck the box for Mail, and the boxes for Contacts and Calendar are also turned off. So you can't just 'push' Contacts and Calendars.

Anyway, after been departed VersaMail for such a long time (last time was when 650 just came out for Verizon), I didn't realize how Chatter is so superb to VersaMail in many ways. For example, I'm now used to hitting "r" to reply which is not available in VM. Chatter's alerts (e.g. incoming emails) are very customizable while VM's are close to none. There are a few little things too. (Of course, IMAP IDLE is a big one for Chatter).

While there are a lot of things that I like about Chatter, there are a few things in this VM update that I really like. The GAL (Global Address Lookup) is really cool. The capability to sync Calendars and Contacts are just awesome. But during my hour-long test I did find some bugs with this update - or maybe just me. I posted in another thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...73#post1183473 listing the errors that I found so I'm not repeating them here. So now I've restored my 700p to the previous state from my NVBackup set and I'm back to Chatter!

Marc: it would be my dream to see Ex Plug-in to include the features that this VM update claims (e.g. GAL, sync with calendar, contacts, etc). Please re-consider these features in your product roadmap! Thanks!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    GAL would be killer! I wonder if EX could piggyback on those if EAS is configured?

Being on a 680, I don't see the EAS upgrade as being good for anything but DirectPush. I can already (and do) sync Calendar and Contacts w/o it. I can't really see using VersaMail for email though... way too clunky for me. I guess I've just been spoiled by ChatterMail
    Nah... tried it. Don't see any value for the potential risk of Exchange wiping out my data (at admin whim). Reverted to pre EAS state. Staying there.
  7.    #7  
    The Moxsi xChangeSync client has made tremendous progress, it now syncs all databases in the foreground.

Marc, please reconsider your position regarding the Moxsi project. If you could bundle it with your EX add-on, you would have a much more compelling feature set! I think the Moxsi project is now at the point where it is pretty stable.

Time to revisit this seriously, your original concept of background push PIM is the way to go!
    The Moxsi xChangeSync client has made tremendous progress, it now syncs all databases in the foreground.
    Interesting that you mention "in the foreground." So this syncs all PIM DB's but not in background, and I presume not via push? Still, that it syncs all DB's might make it worth a look again. I shied away from it because I'm not really in a position to risk my data to alpha code. But if it's more stable and reliable now I'll take a stab at it.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts

Marc, please reconsider your position regarding the Moxsi project. If you could bundle it with your EX add-on, you would have a much more compelling feature set! I think the Moxsi project is now at the point where it is pretty stable.

Time to revisit this seriously, your original concept of background push PIM is the way to go!
    I haven't seen a release that includes contacts. It was suppose to be released at the beginning of this past week but once again.....nada. Has there been a release I don't know about?
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry