Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm Brings Microsoft's Direct Push Technology to Palm OS Based Treo Smartphones

Palm Brings Microsoft's Direct Push Technology to Palm OS Based Treo Smartphones
    Thursday January 25, 10:54 am ET
    Treo 680 and Treo 700p Smartphones Now Offer Businesses Automatic Updates of Email, Calendar and Contacts with Enhanced Security and Manageability

SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM - News) today announced availability of Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync® Update for Palm OS® devices for the Palm® Treo(TM) 680 and Treo 700p smartphones. Palm OS based Treo smartphones have long been able to use Exchange ActiveSync® to access Microsoft Exchange Server information using Palm's VersaMail® email client. The new update enhances VersaMail by adding Microsoft's Direct Push Technology, which gives users connected to an Exchange Server fast, automatic wireless updates of email, calendar and contact information.(1)

http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=227084

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070125/20070125005650.html?.v=1
    Last edited by newtonjack; 01/25/2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: another link to the PR
    HELL YA!!!!
    Been waiting for this....!!!
    This should have been ready last June. Better late than ever.
    Former Centro, Treo 700P, Treo 600, Tungsten T, M505 and PalmIII user...currently a Pre owner.
    This should have been ready last June. Better late than never.
    Former Centro, Treo 700P, Treo 600, Tungsten T, M505 and PalmIII user...currently a Pre owner.
    So can I quit paying these dang fees for Good and the Goodlink software?>
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipro View Post
    So can I quit paying these dang fees for Good and the Goodlink software?>
    What fees? The licenses are a one-time cost.
    Im doing the hosted exchange thing so I pay 20 a month per user...
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    I was expecting this to mean full OTA sync including tasks and memos. To be able to see subfolders. Etc. As near as I can tell this is 3.5 with push added. Not compelling for me.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Does it work on the treo 700P? I went to the palm website and it doesnt say anything about the treo 700P.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Read a little further down the page:

Availability

The Exchange ActiveSync Update for Palm OS will be available Monday as a download at www.palm.com/easdownload.(2)
    So they can update this Versamail push thing, but nothing else? WTF!?!?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    Read a little further down the page:
    Thanx
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    I'm good with Chatter, I will not start using Versamail again.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    As a long time Chatter user, I'm quite tempted by this. First, I heard VersaMail actually works better than before in terms of stability. Obviously Chatter works very well for my work (Exchange) and personal (IMAP) emails. However, Chatter doesn't sync with Exchange Calendars etc. Marc (Chatter's author) already abandoned the idea of syncing Calendars etc with Exchange. I know Scott at Mosxi is working on a solution. But Mosxi's solution is not going to push Calendar updates and rely on manual or (in the future) scheduled updates. Also, Chatter's Exchange plug-in lacks a few features that are important, such as accessing GAL on the fly. Now, the big deterrant of me jumping back to VersaMail is the lack of support of IMAP IDLE which I still need to rely on for my personal emails.

I guess we'll know more about the new VersaMail update when it becomes available next week. I'd like to see how Marc at Chatter respond to this update. Like it or not, corporations small or large are moving on to Exchange. So tighter integration with Exchange, IMHO, is very important for an email client.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    So they can update this Versamail push thing, but nothing else? WTF!?!?
    Indeed! So is this update ONLY the push mail functionality (which, incidentally, is practically useless to almost any non-corporate user, myself included)? Is this what Palm has been working on w/r/t Palm OS updates since the June release?

If it takes this long to get a feature added that should have shipped with the unit, I think our hopes for real bug fixes and making the current functions work WELL are sunk.
    The download is available right now. I already installed it on my Verizon Treo 700P and it works GREAT!!!!!!

Go to: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...te_mobile.html

and download the .prc file over the air and you are all set to go.

This is AWESOME!!!! Way to go PALM!!!!!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    SteveNYC: does it sync Notes and Tasks as well?

Glad to know it's available now and working for you!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Nope. It does not sync Notes and Tasks. I was hoping for Tasks, but alas, no. To the best of my knowledge Microsoft hasn't addressed the syncing of notes (memos) in AES at all on any device, whether it's running Windows Mobile or not.

This little device keeps getting better and better and.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    The download is available right now. I already installed it on my Verizon Treo 700P and it works GREAT!!!!!!

Go to: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...te_mobile.html

and download the .prc file over the air and you are all set to go.

This is AWESOME!!!! Way to go PALM!!!!!
    As a user of Versamail, I must admit that some of these posts are getting me all excited here. I better hold off for a while and see how this pans out.
    Copernicus, a chicken? I thought he was a visionary, a man who would let nothing stand in his way....? :-)

Go for it. It works fine. :-p
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast