Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Here we go again with the "what is push" posts.

Nobody claimed it was free. You need an Exchange Server 2003 sp2 environment and mobile devices running msfp. If companies already have the infrastructure in place (as mine did), the cost is very limited to implement. The savings though are huge over Good and Blackberry though. No more huge service fees anymore to pay for.
    The reason why this not being push is important though is the battery life. Push implementations like this and chatter are battery intensive. I personally setup forwarding rules to forward everything, but spam and newsletters to my sprint sms e-mail address (I pay for unlimited text messaging). There is a slight delay, but it works pretty well and if I need the full text of the message I just login to webmail. I open chatter when e-mail are bouncing back and forth quickly (once a month maybe)

I don't experience reduced battery life and it words great for me.

I would prefer to have my calendar and contacts pushed to the server automatically all the time though.

I'm just curious if this means I'll have to recharge every day instead of every couple days.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrucker View Post
    I now have the push feature working, but if someone calls me it automatically goes to voicemail without ever ringing. It is like the data connection is always on and won't let the phone call in. Any ideas for solving this issue?
    Which carrier you are using? Assuming your unit is a 700p, was your unit in EVDO area?

Edit: Oops. I just re-read your post and you're on Sprint. So very likely you're using 700p for this update. Then you need to make sure you're in EVDO area. If you are, any incoming voice call should interrupt an active data session. If you're in 1xRTT, and since you are with Sprint, the incoming voice calls go straight to voice mail if data is active.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 155 View Post
    The reason why this not being push is important though is the battery life. Push implementations like this and chatter are battery intensive. I personally setup forwarding rules to forward everything, but spam and newsletters to my sprint sms e-mail address (I pay for unlimited text messaging). There is a slight delay, but it works pretty well and if I need the full text of the message I just login to webmail. I open chatter when e-mail are bouncing back and forth quickly (once a month maybe)
    Since you're using Chatter in pretty much an offline mode, and you have unlimited text messaging, you may want to use SMS-triggered sync in Chatter. I haven't used it myself but I believe it should work quite well and you don't need to use webmail to see the full text.
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Thanks. Chatter with sms sync is a good idea.

Even if he was in 1xrtt you wouldn't think it would be an active data session the whole time. It would idle at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by 155 View Post

I don't experience reduced battery life and it words great for me.

I would prefer to have my calendar and contacts pushed to the server automatically all the time though.

I'm just curious if this means I'll have to recharge every day instead of every couple days.
    Im still not sure why you think the MS version of direct push would differ on your battery usage.
    Im still not sure why you think the MS version of direct push would differ on your battery usage.
    It will, but it's probably worth it.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Therefore, EAS is not push. Granted, we are talking semantics, since all the end-user cares about is getting his/her email on their device timely, we are now talking triggered pull, not push.
    Semantics? I think the difference is even less substantial than that. Push simply means that the server tells the client that there is new mail. This opens a socket connection between client/server, and the data is moved from the server to the client. Whether the server is "pushing" the data or the client is "pulling" the data is irrelevant. An open connection is an open connection. Data moves along the open connection. It takes x number of seconds to transfer the data. What am I missing??
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteMom View Post
    I'm having the same issue. And it looks like I'm getting this notifier instead of the actual email, like it's prompting me to sync and get the email that was just pushed.

I have soft reset and that solved the issue for 1 push of email, but then it comes back.

Anyone crack this issue yet?
    Same here with my 700P. It is so totally annoying I have turned off the push and have gone back to scheduled updates (even so the sync prompt still pops up now and then). It's a shame that once again we see inadequate PALM beta user testing before important components gets out to the users. Another black eye for the fading Palm star.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I installed it - hated it immediately - then promptly reloaded my most recent NVBackup backup. I travel frequently (like every week) and I don't have time to **** around with something that is problematic. It has to work right outta the box or it's gone.

I am happy again.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Well, when my IT guys set up my device a few months ago, I just had the unit call for an Exchange server update every five minutes. This worked fine. As I said earlier, I was nervous about installing this software because everything seemed to work fine. Today I installed it. When I tried to sync, I got a message saying something to the effect that my IT people had required a password for access to my email if I hadn't logged on within 20 minutes. They did this on our desktops, but for some reason this hadn't translated into Versamail UNTIL you start using push. You need to know about this; if you want push from the Exchange server, and your IT people are requiring passwords after some down time on your work computers, the same thing will happen with your phone.....
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Well, when my IT guys set up my device a few months ago, I just had the unit call for an Exchange server update every five minutes. This worked fine. As I said earlier, I was nervous about installing this software because everything seemed to work fine. Today I installed it. When I tried to sync, I got a message saying something to the effect that my IT people had required a password for access to my email if I hadn't logged on within 20 minutes. They did this on our desktops, but for some reason this hadn't translated into Versamail UNTIL you start using push. You need to know about this; if you want push from the Exchange server, and your IT people are requiring passwords after some down time on your work computers, the same thing will happen with your phone.....
    If this is true then if you set your "sync every xx minutes" time outside that window you might see that EAS notifier again? Might be worth a try if it is true.
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by scrucker View Post
    I actually just got off a web chat with a Palm agent who said they could not really do any troubleshooting for this update, and he referred me to Sprint. The Sprint guy told me if I had the As Items Arrive selected, I would never be able to receive phone calls because the data connection was active and would not let the phone connection through. Surely this is not true. Someone please help!
    Yup. CDMA and EVDO = No voice and data connection simultaneously.
    Here we go again with the "what is push" posts.

Nobody claimed it was free. You need an Exchange Server 2003 sp2 environment and mobile devices running msfp. If companies already have the infrastructure in place (as mine did), the cost is very limited to implement. The savings though are huge over Good and Blackberry though. No more huge service fees anymore to pay for.
    Read my post. I said to the end-user, it doesn't matter.

Nobody claimed it was free? Read any MSFT marketing lately?

Huge service fees? One-time cost for the server and licenses? $5 more a month per device for secure, managed service.

Hey, I have always said EAS has it's niche. It isn't in the enterprise, though. Not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Semantics? I think the difference is even less substantial than that. Push simply means that the server tells the client that there is new mail. This opens a socket connection between client/server, and the data is moved from the server to the client. Whether the server is "pushing" the data or the client is "pulling" the data is irrelevant. An open connection is an open connection. Data moves along the open connection. It takes x number of seconds to transfer the data. What am I missing??

True, the data takes X number of seconds (which brings compression into the discussion, but that is something entirely different). However, with the server pushing the data, it is doing the 'work'. In a pull situation, the device establishes the connection (takes more processor, therefore, more battery), and the device does the command (processor required) to check for data and send the command to get the traffic and decides when to end the connection. All of this requires battery. Push, the server does it all. So, yes, the connection is established and the traffic travels over that connection in pull and push. However, that is where the similarity ends.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Yup. CDMA and EVDO = No voice and data connection simultaneously.
    While your statement is true, the poster wants to know if he/she can receive a voice call while data is active. The answer is 'yes' if he/she is in EVDO area because the active data connection is interrupted (put on hold) while the voice call comes through.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    True, the data takes X number of seconds (which brings compression into the discussion, but that is something entirely different). However, with the server pushing the data, it is doing the 'work'. In a pull situation, the device establishes the connection (takes more processor, therefore, more battery), and the device does the command (processor required) to check for data and send the command to get the traffic and decides when to end the connection. All of this requires battery. Push, the server does it all. So, yes, the connection is established and the traffic travels over that connection in pull and push. However, that is where the similarity ends.
    I'll certainly take your word for it sincw I don't know the finer points of how Good and BES work. Nevertheless, I would suspect that the extra cpu needed to do something as trivial as establishing a connection must be pretty insignificant compared to the juice needed by the radio to transfer the data. Point taken though, thnx.
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb View Post
    Same here with my 700P. It is so totally annoying I have turned off the push and have gone back to scheduled updates (even so the sync prompt still pops up now and then). It's a shame that once again we see inadequate PALM beta user testing before important components gets out to the users. Another black eye for the fading Palm star.
    Well its gone from bad to worse. For the first time ever mail refuses to authenticate, something about an "Unauthorized Date" and failing to recognize username and password (which has not changed). So now, since I updated, I no longer can get mail on my Treo. This is progress?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I've been using this update for a week or so now and its working great. I was using Goodlink and the battery drain from push Versamail is MUCH less than with Goodlink. My phone is also much stabler than with Goodlink. I also don't have the slow lag in Versamail than before.
    If this works, I will be very pleased. I use biz con but it is flaky, so I use versamail as a backup or when I take my laptop with me. Having push on versamail is a big plus IMO.
    Does anyone else's treo wake up whenever it receives a pushed email? Mine does and I'm sure that will drain the heck out of the battery.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast