Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Not really. Theoretically, you save on battery usage because your Treo doesn't need to keep polling the server. The server just tickles the EAS client when something changes.
    Except with EAS, the device initiates the session back to the server, so it is doing the heavy lifting. Granted, it isn't polling every X number of minutes, however, whenever there is traffic, the device is starting the session.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howiej1 View Post
    I installed this patch and it is working. However, even though I have it set to sync when messages come in, I keep getting the little Notifier on my home screen to do an "EAS Sync." Why is this happening? Is there a way turn it off?
    I'm having the same issue. And it looks like I'm getting this notifier instead of the actual email, like it's prompting me to sync and get the email that was just pushed.

I have soft reset and that solved the issue for 1 push of email, but then it comes back.

Anyone crack this issue yet?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I'm real hesitant about this, since my current use of Versamail is working just fine. I just have my account set up to resync every 5 minutes during the daytime. My battery life seems OK to me. As I understand this, the only advantage over what I'm doing now is that instead of waiting five minutes to get an email, I will get it immediately? Are there any other advantages to this?
    You can do GAL - Global Address Lookup. Calendar events are pushed too. So there are benefits to you. If I were you, I'd back up the whole unit (I use NVBackup), install the update, and see for yourself. If the update doesn't work for you, just roll back.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Except with EAS, the device initiates the session back to the server, so it is doing the heavy lifting. Granted, it isn't polling every X number of minutes, however, whenever there is traffic, the device is starting the session.

But, it the server that tells the client that there is information that needs to be synced. So everybody here understands, it works like this.....

1. Client establishes a HTTP connection with the server
    2. If nothing needs to be synced within a set interval (15 min by default), the client re-issues its connection request to keep the link open.
    3. If anything changes on the server, the server tells the client there are changes that need to be synced. The client then syncs them.

Unless you are getting a constant flow of email, that causes a continous sync, battery drain should be minimal. Keeping the open connection to the server is not battery intensive.
    OK am I the only one having the problem where this "update" either completely crashes my device or does NOTHING at all???
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    OK am I the only one having the problem where this "update" either completely crashes my device or does NOTHING at all???
    Does nothing for me as well. I have confirmed that the server is running Exchange 2003 SP2 and everything should be functional. I have reinstalled everything and nothing works. The first time around (OTA download) was giving me some errors, but after I reinstalled, no errors, but still nothing is happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by minusnone View Post
    Does nothing for me as well. I have confirmed that the server is running Exchange 2003 SP2 and everything should be functional. I have reinstalled everything and nothing works. The first time around (OTA download) was giving me some errors, but after I reinstalled, no errors, but still nothing is happening.
    Have your admin check the event viewer on the exchange server to see what is happening when you try to sync.
    I'm not even getting an OPTION for push, I can't even test it!!!
    I am getting a diff error. manual sync with my Exchange works fine. Using the push I get an error that tells me to look at MS knowledgebase article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923282 I'm in the process of trying to get that fix from MS...Weird...
    OK I tried hard resetting & then installing it & it didn't cause the loop. BUT- The push option isnt even there! This is retarded. I am getting seriously pissed here.
    This could be an RTFM. After installation, the push option doesn't appear until *after* you do your first manual sync. On the 680, after running the updater and resetting, an alert is created reminding you to do this. Not sure about your installation method, though.
    Hmm... I'll redo the whole thing later & try syncing first. If it matters at all I'm trying to use this w/my Gmail account.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Hmm... I'll redo the whole thing later & try syncing first. If it matters at all I'm trying to use this w/my Gmail account.
    Hmmm... you're trying to do Exchange Auto Sync with your GMail account? GMail is POP and is not Exchange so the options are not there.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Hmmm... you're trying to do Exchange Auto Sync with your GMail account? GMail is POP and is not Exchange so the options are not there.
    I was gonna go there, but then I stopped myself, thinking "gee, maybe he's forwarding his mail to an Exchange service."
    I'm a she. I'm gonna put that in my sig, lol...

Screw it. I've never used exchange or outlook or many MS products in general so I dunno how all this works. Forget it, forwarding my email to another server & going through all that trouble- its easier to just hit "get".
    Quote Originally Posted by howiej1 View Post
    I installed this patch and it is working. However, even though I have it set to sync when messages come in, I keep getting the little Notifier on my home screen to do an "EAS Sync." Why is this happening? Is there a way turn it off?

Also, I noticed that the first time I did a sync, it told me that the Contacts on Exchange would be overwritten with those on my Treo. Unfortunately it did the opposite and there does not seem to be a way deselect the Contacts or Calendar, even though there are buttons for each.

Help !

Luckily I had a backup of my Contacts on the card from BackupMan.

Anyone know anything more about this. I am seeing the same behavior on my Treo 700p with my corporate exchange server.
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    But, it the server that tells the client that there is information that needs to be synced. So everybody here understands, it works like this.....

1. Client establishes a HTTP connection with the server
    2. If nothing needs to be synced within a set interval (15 min by default), the client re-issues its connection request to keep the link open.
    3. If anything changes on the server, the server tells the client there are changes that need to be synced. The client then syncs them.

Unless you are getting a constant flow of email, that causes a continous sync, battery drain should be minimal. Keeping the open connection to the server is not battery intensive.
    Therefore, EAS is not push. Granted, we are talking semantics, since all the end-user cares about is getting his/her email on their device timely, we are now talking triggered pull, not push.

Actually, keeping the connection open to the server is battery intensive. The radio stays on, therefore is draining power from the battery.

From MSFT's own page:
    You do need to adjust the connection timeout of your firewall to ensure that Direct Push functionality works efficiently. With the goal of optimizing battery life, we recommend between 15 and 30 minutes.

So, while MSFT would like to have you think that the solution is just turn it on and let it go, based on this thread and other data, it is not that simple. Now, with Crossbow and Exchange 2007 it may be easier and more feature rich, that is far from a "free" solution.
    Therefore, EAS is not push. Granted, we are talking semantics, since all the end-user cares about is getting his/her email on their device timely, we are now talking triggered pull, not push.

Actually, keeping the connection open to the server is battery intensive. The radio stays on, therefore is draining power from the battery.

From MSFT's own page:

So, while MSFT would like to have you think that the solution is just turn it on and let it go, based on this thread and other data, it is not that simple. Now, with Crossbow and Exchange 2007 it may be easier and more feature rich, that is far from a "free" solution.
    Here we go again with the "what is push" posts.

Nobody claimed it was free. You need an Exchange Server 2003 sp2 environment and mobile devices running msfp. If companies already have the infrastructure in place (as mine did), the cost is very limited to implement. The savings though are huge over Good and Blackberry though. No more huge service fees anymore to pay for.
    So Cingular 680's are doom to no love with this update. I told my buddy about this update and he was going to install it up I guess since he bought his Treo 680 from Cingular he is not gonna be able to use it. Any word on when Cingular is going to fix this?

Al
    Real-life experience:

I've been using this update for a few days now. Previously, I auto-synced every hour. Now, I'm using the "push" option. There has been no noticeable difference in battery life on my VZW 700p. So, if I can get instant email for the same price as once-per-hour, I'm happy.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    I now have the push feature working, but if someone calls me it automatically goes to voicemail without ever ringing. It is like the data connection is always on and won't let the phone call in. Any ideas for solving this issue?

I actually just got off a web chat with a Palm agent who said they could not really do any troubleshooting for this update, and he referred me to Sprint. The Sprint guy told me if I had the As Items Arrive selected, I would never be able to receive phone calls because the data connection was active and would not let the phone connection through. Surely this is not true. Someone please help!
    Last edited by scrucker; 01/31/2007 at 02:12 PM.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast