Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Ahh..I see. Fair enough.
    I must ask this one time fee comment since when I ran the app in my 700p, downloaded the app etc, I ended up with a $14/mo in Sprint. Nowere in the download process said there wa a monthly fee and in no way was Sprint willing to stop charging me until I canceled the "service".

Is the one time fee something recent?
    OK, I downloaded it. Hotsynced, saw it install, tried the tricks mentioned above about sequence of doing things, reset and tried again...nothing happens. Doesnt freeze, but just nothing happens. I dont get the prompts to do anything.

I followed the thread linked above where someone asked the question twice and am still not sure.

I'm new to the 700p and have vowed to learn this better. I have a nice, stable setup, with many of the forum recommended apps, but dont use email enough to pay for Chatter/Snapper. I was hoping that this fix would be all I need with just versamail.

Am I getting it right that once installed correctly, someone can just email you from their computer and it goes right to you in real time, or does this push thing only apply to emails from some company server? Should my wife's and small business's (from the local Cox Cable) get pushed through or do I have to set things up at their end too?

Forgive me if this is so elementary to some of you...I'm smarter in my other life.
    Last edited by jeffandpamsmith; 01/28/2007 at 09:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    I must ask this one time fee comment since when I ran the app in my 700p, downloaded the app etc, I ended up with a $14/mo in Sprint. Nowere in the download process said there wa a monthly fee and in no way was Sprint willing to stop charging me until I canceled the "service".

This sounds ominous...
    For what it's worth ... I downloaded the update and it seems to be working as advertised. I get emails instantly pushed to me ... sometimes even before my Outlook client gets the email. I have turned my alerts off for this account, because I don't need the alert, but when I had the alert enabled, it seemed to be working just fine.

Also, I don't believe this updates the ROM. I have a file called "MM EAS FPI" (20k), which I think may be the update.
    So no one has posted about the effect on battery life of activesync push?

How does it compare to chatter in terms of draining the battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Versamail causing lags was just a nasty rumor that proved to not be true.
    so what causes the lags? i had Versamail, lags. uninstalled, no lags. if you have no lags, what are you doing special that got rid of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post

The carriers charge a monthly fee. I was referring to the licensing. I am confused as to what you are referring to that you downloaded the app. Did you get the email from your admin (or hosting provider) with the PIN number, etc, and install it that way? Sprint does not offer the service. They have a data plan for GMM users, but you have to be on a GMM server.
    I have installed this too and keep getting an error message of "The server had trouble with your account settings. Go to account setup in the accounts menu and try again." Now I have deleted and re-added this account 3 times with no luck. I have the correct settings and still no luck. Anyone have any thoughts or comments?
    A couple of us at my office are still having trouble with it. According to our server, it looks like the using the as tems arrive selection, & it only pings the server, it does not request a transfer. Any ideas?

How does the push technology effect battery life?
    Yeah...can we get some feedback on lag and battery life.
    I went through a lot of trouble un-installing Versamail due to it's lagging effect on the 700P. I'm suprised to hear everyone jumping on this so fast.
    KevinH.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III > PalmIIIc > PalmV > Visor > Treo 650 > Treo 700P
    I keep getting the notifier alert to sync, but it does not "auto sync" for me.

Kind of annoying. How can I get this done, any suggested settings?
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    So you can't have IMAP push emails? If that part was available I would have installed it. Was GAL available on the built in 700p versamail or this is a new feature?

Al
    I always used Sprint BizCon and simply ignored Versamail. But I must say this addition has made elevated Versamail to my preferred email program. Granted Versamail is not perfect, but for corporate user like myself it was a godsend. Our company is converting to blackberry, I can still keep my 700p, it just won't be supported by IT. When I mentioned to my office mates (& blackberry users) that the 700p now had push -- each person asked me about my battery life. Is the mantra that blackberry trains its disciples? The knee jerk reaction was interesting as it occurred with every person. To answer the question, I see no noticible impact on the the battery life.
    "I have no idea what you just said, so here is a bunny with a pancake on its head."
    I've never owned and won't ever own a blackberry.

It's just that most push e-mail software eats away at battery life. Most people who've ever used push e-mail software know this and are curious what a new push implementation has.

To get good battery life you need a server solution that's optimized for push e-mail. Good server, Blackberry server, exchange 2003 sp2 etc. Old servers that are rather standard like IMAP or POP3 aren't going to cut it. They are designed to be used with PC's not phones.

You also need a phone that is designed to idle without using too much power. Many PPC 2003 SE phones make you turn on the display whenever an internet connection was active. Destroying battery life cause push e-mail would require the screen to be on 100% of the time.

You need the server and the device to be optimized for push e-mail for battery life to be stellar. People are just curious how well Palm's new exchange based push is on the battery.

I'm hoping it's good and agree that it is a godsend. It's the only aspect of the Treo 700p I've been dissatisfied with so now it is perfect Although I do wish that Tasks would sync.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    i have push set up with my mail2web exchange server and now when i hotsync my treo it always gets error messages which when i open the log it tells me that "contacts did nothing", "datebook did nothing", "events did nothing". Since my contacts and whatnot are now synching with my exchange server does this mean that they won't sync to palm desktop? If so that kind of sucks since i would like to have them in both locations. In the auto sync menu if i try to de-select contacts from the items to auto sync it de-selects all three check boxes for mail and calender. So in order for it to auto sync mail, everything has to auto sync...doesnt make sense. Any one else experiencing this?
    Is this the same update that originally came out, or is it an update to the original download?
    I'm real hesitant about this, since my current use of Versamail is working just fine. I just have my account set up to resync every 5 minutes during the daytime. My battery life seems OK to me. As I understand this, the only advantage over what I'm doing now is that instead of waiting five minutes to get an email, I will get it immediately? Are there any other advantages to this?
    Not really. Theoretically, you save on battery usage because your Treo doesn't need to keep polling the server. The server just tickles the EAS client when something changes.
    OK if this update if for both the 680 & 700p, why does it keep saying "On your Treo 680..." in the instructions?

Last night I tried the OTA version & it caused a reset loop. I'm trying the downloadable version as I write this and...... another %$#@^&# reset loop. WTF?

EDIT:

OK I tried hard resetting & then installing it & it didn't cause the loop. BUT- The push option isnt even there! This is retarded. I am getting seriously pissed here.
    Last edited by KabukiAssassin; 01/30/2007 at 08:26 AM.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast