Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    Copernicus, a chicken? I thought he was a visionary, a man who would let nothing stand in his way....? :-)

Go for it. It works fine. :-p
    No, no not a chicken... Yes, of course, I must let nothing stand in my way. I do appreciate the courage it takes to try out these new releases. Thanks!
    Last edited by copernicus; 01/25/2007 at 10:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Hmmmm... I installed VersaMail from CD (mine is a Verizon 700p) and also the update and found some problems already:

1. Email: The last character of the subject line is getting chopped off. E.g. subject is "TEST". When it's pushed to my Treo it becomes "TES". But when I view the same messge in my laptop's Outlook, the subject is still "TEST". Otherwise the PUSH email is almost flawless.
    2. Calendar events seem to be pushed from Treo back to the server okay. But I haven't been successful the other way around.
    3. Contact change from Treo to the server is fine. The other way is not.

Given I only spent at most an hour so far. So my accessment may not be conclusive. At this moment I might have to restore my unit using NVBackup and get Chatter back on.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    i know that this is a reach, but is the delay between apps, post-Versamail install, fixed by some miracle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I was expecting this to mean full OTA sync including tasks and memos. To be able to see subfolders. Etc. As near as I can tell this is 3.5 with push added. Not compelling for me.
    Yep. I've downloaded it and tried it and this seems to be exactly what it is. If I were using VersaMail for doing my email I might consider this worthwhile. But since I only use VersaMail to sync PIM -- and you can't enable push without enabling email sync too (boo! hiss!) -- I just don't see the value in this. Pity, really. Why do we keep getting half-baked solutions? Even BBConnect was lobotomized, as I recall. Is no one really thinking all the way through the solution chain when they put these together?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I was hoping that this update would allow you select which items would be synced OTA. The 750 allows you to turn OTA sync on or off for the calendar and contacts individually. Without that choice, I can't use this.
    I just downloaded the update and it is working great. I doesn't seem like the update has effected the lag in any of the other apps. I will test it all day today to see how push email impacts battery life. So far so good.
    For what it is worth, I have a 650 unlocked with Versamail 3.5 installed. The update refused to install for me.

Oh well.

I have a SERO 700wx on order from Sprint. $100/month for 2500 minutes plus data. Not much more than I give T-Mobile now for 1000 minutes plus (slower) data. :-)
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zosomagnus View Post
    I just downloaded the update and it is working great. I doesn't seem like the update has effected the lag in any of the other apps. I will test it all day today to see how push email impacts battery life. So far so good.
    Please forgive me for the dumb questions, but;

Is the link in this thread for the update and what you installed the same thing that Palm announced would be available Monday?...(Is this just the same thing early or is there something else coming out Monday too ?)

Is there any reason/advantage to install this update if you use VersaMail but not push e-mail? Are there other benefits (or probelms) associated with the update? I use VersaMail but just get my e-mail POP3 manually. Is there an advantage to someone like me regarding this update?

Thanks!
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    For what it is worth, I have a 650 unlocked with Versamail 3.5 installed. The update refused to install for me.

Oh well.

I have a SERO 700wx on order from Sprint. $100/month for 2500 minutes plus data. Not much more than I give T-Mobile now for 1000 minutes plus (slower) data. :-)
    This update was only for the 680 or 700P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    Is there any reason/advantage to install this update if you use VersaMail but not push e-mail? Are there other benefits (or probelms) associated with the update? I use VersaMail but just get my e-mail POP3 manually. Is there an advantage to someone like me regarding this update?

Thanks!
    Well, if you JUST use POP3, then no. If you sign-up with someone like mail2web who offers free Exchange services, you could forward all your POP3 mail to the mail2web service then use the new Versamail features and push/sync with mail2web...
    Can someone please advise whether or not this update enables the ability to activesync a PUBLIC FOLDER CALENDAR and MULTIPLE Contacts folders (Including Public Folders Contacts)?
    thx
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Yep. I've downloaded it and tried it and this seems to be exactly what it is. If I were using VersaMail for doing my email I might consider this worthwhile. But since I only use VersaMail to sync PIM -- and you can't enable push without enabling email sync too (boo! hiss!) -- I just don't see the value in this. Pity, really.
    The solution you're looking for is reasonable. However, in Windows Mobile it works the same way, the only way you're going to get push for everything is if you push email. Otherwise, it's all manual syncing (or intervaled depending on the implementation, but not push).

BTW, you don't see the value in this, really?
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by atbodamer View Post
    Can someone please advise whether or not this update enables the ability to activesync a PUBLIC FOLDER CALENDAR and MULTIPLE Contacts folders (Including Public Folders Contacts)?
    thx
    No, it does not appear to enable Public Folders at all. Only top level folders.

For example, those e-mails that are sent to me where my name is on the CC list and not the TO list get sent to a subfolder in my Inbox on my desktop. None of the those "CC" e-mails push to my Treo with the new update.
    I use Chapura for hot syncing my public folder calendar and multiple contacts folders now. I was hoping for an activesync capability...too bad
    Quote Originally Posted by atbodamer View Post
    thx
    In a word: no.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    The solution you're looking for is reasonable. However, in Windows Mobile it works the same way, the only way you're going to get push for everything is if you push email. Otherwise, it's all manual syncing (or intervaled depending on the implementation, but not push).

BTW, you don't see the value in this, really?
    Well, on the default VersaMail of the 680 I can *already* synchronize contacts and calendar. The only potential advantage of EAS is that it would be push. But I hate Versmail for doing email, so forcing me to save another copy of my inbox just so I can get push is stupid. All I really want from EAS is PIM -- and it really doesn't even go all the way there either (missing tasks and notepad).

So... no, I don't see this as a useful upgrade. Maybe it would be for the 700P, since I'm not sure they had contact sync, but for the 680 it does seem pointless.
    Does it allow me to choose what to sync?

I want email to push but I do not want any other things, calendar, contacts, tasks, sync'ied.

I am currently using chatter email for push email and I love it!

The last time I tried versamail it insisted on sync'ing calendar, however, it would first erase all my calendar events on my treo and then load all events from my corporate account on the first sync.

Is this how it still works? On the first sync it erases all calendar events on the treo?

Can I choose which applications I want it to sync with?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Greetings.
    I installed the patch, and push email does not work. I don't have a box in the Autosync tab that enables it. Doh!

To answer the various questions about the service, Exchange Active Sync will sync calendar, contacts and emails, no public folders, no "Just the PIM data". Sadly, this means that if you use a different email app, or like some of my clients, you need public folder info, you can't take advantage of Active Sync.

Why the push menu won't appear on my 680 is a mystery, since it works fine on Windows Mobile.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I just set this up with a free mail2web account, and to my surprise, it works. My only question is that if the mail program is not forward on my Treo, when mail comes in, I get an alert that says I have to sync my mail. Why doesn't it just show up in the mail program?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipro View Post
    Im doing the hosted exchange thing so I pay 20 a month per user...
    Ahh..I see. Fair enough.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast