1.    #1  
    Due to horrendous battery life issues I hereby initiate a petition for Palm to recall the batteries or the Treo 680 to fix the issues.

Every vote counts!

Vote now.

A very frustrated user!

Russian Buyer
    ---------------------------
    I buy Russian Art.
    Judging by the extensive research that has been done in previous threads, I think it is safe to say that the battery is not the issue at hand. It seems to be more of a software glitch(es) that is going on. And the release of the Camera patch only backs up this theory even more.
    Follow Me On

I think first try the camera patch, and see if that improves anything. And keep reporting to Palm any glitches, since they finally started listening to customers for a change.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    I applied the patch and did the battery-dance thing people proposed. No such luck!

Russian Buyer
    ------------
    I buy Russian Art.
    I said it the first week the thing was out - long before the battery dance. Back when everyone was saying the batteries have to be conditioned... Class Action Suit! Anyone who bought the 680 based upon the (still) published tech specs was seriously dupped. The unit currently being marketed by Palm, Access, (whatever they want to be called today) does not live up to their sales and marketing literature.

Dunc
    Eh, I understand people's frustration. Heck, even I am frustrated. But to be honest, it's got the same and/or better specs than the 650, and a much smaller battery. When I had my 650, a long day of data usage dropped the charge down to darn near empty. Just about the same thing is happening with my 680 now.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    I'm very happy with my treo. No frustrations at all. I barely carry around a laptop anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
    Eh, I understand people's frustration. Heck, even I am frustrated. But to be honest, it's got the same and/or better specs than the 650, and a much smaller battery. When I had my 650, a long day of data usage dropped the charge down to darn near empty. Just about the same thing is happening with my 680 now.
    snoslicer, you're talking about a different test case. The test cases I am using to determine whether I upgrade to the 680 is normal usage. i.e. phone calls, SMS, BT, etc.

There are no batteries on mobiles on the market today that can last all day going through a wireless interface. They will all go empty. It doesn't mean though that the 680 is finally on par with the 650.

Someone else mentioned that the 650 had a bigger battery and thats why the 650 lasts longer. I'll take that into consideration (format factor size vs battery life).
    An FYI:
    I was in interviews all day yesterday, so I barely used my phone for internet usage as I do in a normal day. Yesterday consisted of checking e-mail maybe 3-4 times, 5 phone calls, and a few text messages. Unplugged at 7:30 AM, plugged in at 10:30 PM and still had 43% battery left.

I have installed the camera patch, and I have done the battery "refresh" or whatever it is called. I hope this helps some.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    I've been testing mine with BatteryTime after applying the patch and doing the battery reset thing a few times.

With the Phone On, normal KB lights, 1/2 bright screen, BT off, and beam off it gives me 5 hrs and 30 min before hitting 10%. With BT on, that goes down to 4 hrs and 50 min. That's not bad to me considering my T3 got about 3 1/2 hours at best. I haven't tested with any keyboard dimming apps.

And last night, I turned it off but had phone on, BT on, beam off and in 9 1/2 hours it only dropped 10%.

I'm satisfied. Sure I'd like better but I don't think there's a real problem with mine.

Bob
    Hey Bob:

Welcome to T|C!

We're neighbours, sort of...

I'm on the other side of ScotiaBank Place from you, "up the Valley".

I have an unlocked T680 shipped directly from Palm in the States and I am having difficulties with its dependability due to problems with the keyguard.

Are you using a Rogers T680? If so, would you mind doing some testing of the the Rogers 680 keyguard for me please?

The keyguard on my unlocked 680 allows one untrapped keypress to be passed through to the underlying calendar alarm/alert dialog screen or incoming call screen which causes the alarm signals to be silenced.

After this untrapped keypress gets passed through, the keyguard operates properly, however it's too late as the calendar alarms are silenced.

This is a problem for me because I use a snug case and also it's a problem for people who carry their 680 in their pocket and inadvertently cause keypresses due to jostling.

So...

Please set a calendar alarm for 5 minutes out.

Let your Treo timeout (if you've set timeout less than 5 minutes...)

When the alarm fires and wakes up the 680, press any qwerty key, try the spacebar for example.

Please let me know if this silences the alarm but leaves the keyguard displayed on the Rogers 680.

Thanks!
    I have been very happy with my 680. I got it the end of november and did have battery issues at first. I installed the battery patch on monday and my battery life has increased greatly. I am a very heavy internet user and when I went to bed last night at 11 my battery was at 59%. At 8:30 this morning when I left for work it was down to 52%, and then about 11:30 it was 49%.......this is so much better than my 600 so I have reason to complain.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    Hey Bob:

Welcome to T|C!

When the alarm fires and wakes up the 680, press any qwerty key, try the spacebar for example.
    Please let me know if this silences the alarm but leaves the keyguard displayed on the Rogers 680.
    Thanks. Yes, I have a Rogers 680 - locked. Actually this was discussed in a thread at Treonauts and I had done some testing at for that. I did some additional testing. Apparently my 680 does not have a problem. I ran three tests. The first I pressed the space bar, the next I tapped the screen, and the last I pressed the centre button. In all three tests, the alarm did NOT stop until it was done. My pressing/tapping had no affect. And after the alarm was finished, the Keyguard popup appeared. I had to press the centre button again to get past it.

I got my 680 a couple of weeks ago, so it's possible that Palm has changed something. If you look at the Treonauts thread, you'll see that some 680s have the problem and some don't. Sounds like there's a call to Palm Technical Support in your future.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    Hey Bob:

Welcome to T|C!

We're neighbours, sort of...

I'm on the other side of ScotiaBank Place from you, "up the Valley".

I have an unlocked T680 shipped directly from Palm in the States and I am having difficulties with its dependability due to problems with the keyguard.

Are you using a Rogers T680? If so, would you mind doing some testing of the the Rogers 680 keyguard for me please?

The keyguard on my unlocked 680 allows one untrapped keypress to be passed through to the underlying calendar alarm/alert dialog screen or incoming call screen which causes the alarm signals to be silenced.

After this untrapped keypress gets passed through, the keyguard operates properly, however it's too late as the calendar alarms are silenced.

This is a problem for me because I use a snug case and also it's a problem for people who carry their 680 in their pocket and inadvertently cause keypresses due to jostling.

So...

Thanks!
    Ok..soi I'm NOT Bob! Thought I'd remark anyway..no problems with my arctic unlocked 680 - however I use Butler for both my alarms and keyguard (it allows me to switch main screens between phone app, launcher etc unlike the native keyguard)....maybe you should try the sequence with a 3rd party alarm or keyguard to see if it is the same...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    I said it the first week the thing was out - long before the battery dance. Back when everyone was saying the batteries have to be conditioned... Class Action Suit! Anyone who bought the 680 based upon the (still) published tech specs was seriously dupped.
    Really? I use my Treo 680 for data all day long, with 6 accounts in push mode. And with 2 full cycles of the battery for conditioning and the latest battery fix from Palm, bluetooth on ALL DAY ... my 680 now outlasts what my 650 used to get.

Pretty much everyone I know has the same results now. The battery issue is gone, and we're focusing on other problems now.
    I'm enthralled with my 680. Best Treo ever! It's by far the most stable Treo I've ever used, and after the battery/camera patch I'm surpassing what I got on my 650. Smaller capacity battery and all. I miss my antenna, however.
    i like the no antenna
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
    An FYI:
    I was in interviews all day yesterday, so I barely used my phone for internet usage as I do in a normal day. Yesterday consisted of checking e-mail maybe 3-4 times, 5 phone calls, and a few text messages. Unplugged at 7:30 AM, plugged in at 10:30 PM and still had 43% battery left.

I have installed the camera patch, and I have done the battery "refresh" or whatever it is called. I hope this helps some.
    snoslicer, thanks for this. It appears there are mixed results with regards to the patch. If you had a fully charged phone and only used email 3-4 times, 5 phone calls and a few text messages and at 10:30pm, it sits at 43% battery, then I can safely say that my Treo 650 has better battery life here.

Further down this thread, there are some users who claim that their 680 now surpasses the 650 in battery life (no supporting stats as to how they used their phone) so I will hold off for now.

Thanks for the additional info however.