Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I have been testing & deleting many applications and afraid i'm leaving behind many orphan files. I read that unused files can unnecessarily slow down the Treo.

I want to only keep the apps that are reliable and usefu. I want to be able to hard reset to clear the entire memory and manually install the keeper apps but a hard reset and the subsequent hotsync brought back all apps from the previous hotsync.

option 1: delete the apps from the treo and do a hot sync so that the backup files will register the deleted apps and will not include the deleted apps in the next hotsync. How successful is this in regards to avoiding orphan files - won't it block files related to deleted apps???

Option 2: according to the palm knowledge base article - go into the PC's backup folder and delete the necessary file - only problem is how do i tell which file is related to which app and what file is safe to delete?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    What if I were to provide a new username upon a hard reset - wouldn't that hotsync without third party apps and their associated files?

a new username would make the treo act like a new device wouldn't it????
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    One way to get a fresh brand new install is to uninstall the Palm software and reinstall it again from the CD !!!
    Just read the sticky post about upgrading to the 680 from previous palms. You want to rename the backup folder before synching with your fresh hard reset treo. It's very easy.
    The only way of getting to an absolutely factory new status is to give the phone a password and then perform a hard reset. The result will be absolutely no remaining non-factory elements. You must have a password protected phone, however, to reach that state. Why Palm designed it that way is not clear to me, perhaps to prevent it from accidentally happening.