1.    #1  
    Versamail on my Treo 650 has suddenly developed performance issues. Specifically, there is a lag of several seconds between when I press a button (on the screen or on the keyboard) and when the action occurs.

For example, when I check mail, I hit the "Get" button on the screen and it just sits there for several seconds before starting to get the mail.

When I try to open a message or scroll down to see the next five messages, it can take as long as seven seconds for the resulting action to take place.

When I try to select all and delete the messages when I'm done with them, again, it takes seconds from when I hit the menu button on the keyboard and when the menu appears, and more time from when I type "s" and when the messages are actually selected.

The only contributing factors I can think of are that there were a lot of messages on the server at one point (over 1,000), and that the Treo now gives me a "Low Memory" warning on restart - and will go into a continual restart cycle if I don't immediately acknowledge that message.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to fix this problem? It's essentially rendering the Mail application useless.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    How much free memory do you have? I always tried to keep 5mb free to avoid performance issues like this. . . . .

Have you tried a soft reset? This clears your dbcache which may be part of your issue.

Do you have Documents to Go in internal memory? You can free up to 4mb of internal memory by using the following DataViz tools:

If you have version 7:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

If you have Version 8:
    Menu>Options>Manage Applications>Move Applications to card.

Once done, the internal memory will stay freed up as long as you exit an opened file before closing DTG. If you don't, the programs will stay in internal memory after use and you will have to repeat the use of the tool to put them back to the SD card. When you exit the file then close DTG -- the program will be returned to the SD card automatically and thus keeping the memory freed up.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/25/2007 at 07:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtwo View Post
    Once done, the internal memory will stay freed up as long as you exit an opened file before closing DTG. If you don't, the programs will stay in internal memory after use and you will have to repeat the use of the tool to put them back to the SD card. When you exit the file then close DTG -- the program will be returned to the SD card automatically and thus keeping the memory freed up.

Hi Perry. Do you know for sure if this is still the case with DTG that came with the Sprint 700p?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    Hi Perry. Do you know for sure if this is still the case with DTG that came with the Sprint 700p?

Good catch jaharr!

I just tested. I opened DTG and opened a 150kb file. I exited without closing the file. My free memory dropped 300kb. If I had done this on my 650 in version 7, my free memory would have dropped 1MB+ at least. I went back to DTG and then closed the file and left DTG . . . . . and my free space returned the 300kb to free memory.

Looks like they minimized this issue on the DTG that came with the Sprint 700P.
    Version 8.003(239) is currently on my 700P.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Looks like they minimized this issue on the DTG that came with the Sprint .
    Thanks for testing it, and for your reply.