Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help....for some reason all my software sounds no longer work via the internal speaker...apart from actual Ringtone sounds.

My best guess is the Treo is acting as if the 2.5mm adaptor for headphones are still plugged in..or maybe there is some secret mute button I don't know about......

* Normal headphones do work fine
    * The ringer sounds do work through internal speaker when I go into manage sounds.....
    * All other software sounds such as Pocket Tunes..Games..video clips etc do not work through the speaker (but do work via headphone)
    * When I go to call someone the speaker phone option does not appear (is that a sign that Treo thinks headphones are in?)
    * Treo is out of Silent mode and volume is turned up.

Can anyone think of any reason why my Treo won't play most sounds through it's internal speaker?

Any help greatly appreciated....I don't want to be the first Australian who needs to send his 680 in for repair!!
    Mavoz,

I had exactly the same issue. It's a problem with the connection in the 2.5mm jack. Blow as hard as you can in the 2.5mm jack to remove dust. When I did this it started working again.

Very frustrating and I couldn't risk it happening again so I sent the 680 back and got another one.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalloneeh View Post
    Mavoz,

I had exactly the same issue. It's a problem with the connection in the 2.5mm jack. Blow as hard as you can in the 2.5mm jack to remove dust. When I did this it started working again.

Very frustrating and I couldn't risk it happening again so I sent the 680 back and got another one.
    Thanks Staloneeh...I huffed and I puffed...and then huffed and puffed some more..worked for a second..cut out..I blew more..then I plugged and unplugged...and now it's a goer again...thanks very much!

only thing is I'm pretty nervous about how long it will keep working for....by the sound of it there was a similar issue for many on the 650 too...

some guy even has a soldering type fix posted here:

http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2006/...ix-part-1.html

Why Palm even includes a 2.5 compared to the 3.5 jack that 99% of consumer electronics uses beats me!
    And given the issues with the old 650 you would hope Palm would have this one fixed by now with the 680....

here's hoping it was just a stray bit of dust!!

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Just an update...as of this morning my sound issues are back..sounds like I have a dodgy 2.5 jack....and warranty repair is the only option...such a pain to be without the unit for a while!
    same happened to me too. I wonder if Palm knows about this.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    same happened to me too. I wonder if Palm knows about this.
    Did you manage to fix yours yourself? Or did it require a replacement unit?

I've rung Palm Support and they've said to first try hard reset..and that then they'll replace the unit if problem persists...(I guess at least I might overcome my one dead pixel issue that way! Just a pain to be without it now.)

My guess is this could be a major weakness in the 680...and maybe after all the phone replacements Palm might finally realise they have a problem on their hands!
    Oh, they have to know. It's a problem that plagued the 650.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Well, i did a hard rest several times. It didn't work. blew inside the headphone jack then did a soft reset. It works fine now. it is very werid
    I can't advise you to do this, but I have used the Radio Shack "Precision Electronics Cleaner" which you can spray into the contacts--VERY carefully--and which evaporates without a trace. Of course, if you were to allow it where it shouldn't go, there might be problems, but I haven't had any with the Palm or with my two laptops. My phone stopped working after my 6 month-old decided to suck on the contacts for a while until I stopped her. Blowing, drying, and the spray did the trick. Try it at your peril.
    I had this prob, what i did was plug in the 2.5 jack and then yank it out hard. When this happened to me, I place the jack in slowly and then after I was done using my headphones ... i slowly removed it. So i assumed the Treo's connector thought headphones was still inside.

Give it a try, maybe it will work for you too.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tips here everyone...basically I can temporarily fix it by blowing..but it's an inconsistent solution at the moment...keeps dropping out after a while....

...basically if I receive a call and it doesn't work...I'll need to spend time blowing into the bottom of the phone until I can hear them...might be kind of off putting to people!

Is frustrating after only 1 month to have a dodgy 2.5 socket...
    What you guys can try are the following:
    1. Insert an adapter tip about 1/4 way into the jack, and pulling slightly left and right. This may free up the prongs that think an adapter is plugged in.
    2. Download a software called Headcold, and select as your output "Speaker" if the problem still persists.
    3. Download Volumecare which has the same sort of fix as #2 above, but you have to pay for it.

Ultimately, this problem doesn't really fix itself unless the jack is soldered. See link by nonobeez (http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2006/...ix-part-1.html)
    Exercise your warranty and get a replacement.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    Exercise your warranty and get a replacement.
    Yeh I can see that's really the only option at this stage with the phone only a month old! Just annoying to be without it for a while .....kind of got very used to the Treo lifestyle now! Thanks.
    you won't be without your Treo at all - I've done warranty exchanges a couple of times and they simply send you a replacement phone with a postage-paid box to return the broken phone.
    That's not been my experience with Palm.
    my experience was with Cingular - I assumed the manufacturer would follow the same exchange protocol that the carrier does, but I guess that's not the case. When I did my warranty exchanges through Cingular, the process was fast and seamless. It took me about 10 minutes to deactivate the old phone and get the replacement working in both cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    Oh, they have to know. It's a problem that plagued the 650.
    I've heard that so many times! You'd think they'd have fixed that on the 680!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Werid, for me the problem started when I used the Palm branded headphones (regular and Pro versions). I have had my Shure ic3-ts connected on the 650 and 680 since their release and they have never resulted in any jack issues. I have used this combo with the treo in my pocket while climbing around in attics (for work, I am an electrician), working out, jogging etc... I am not saying that the headphones are to blame. But it maybe something to look into.
    Smiley, you're an electrician. Have you looked at this?:
    http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2006/...ix-part-1.html
    yeah, I've check it out. But, I usally get a new treo from palm every 4 months (via the replacement program) and or sell it on ebay and buy a new one.
    This is the first time I've actually had a headset jack probelm. If I have my Treo long enough, i'll probaly try the upgrade.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast