Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Just providing an update...I've just spoken with a Palm Tech Support rep in the Philippines about this problem. (Frank)

They're replacing my phone under warranty...and what is even better is the rep was genuinely interested to know that this is apparently a common issue on the Treo's.

He has taken note of the details of this very thread and is passing it on to other Palm reps. (Thanks Frank..well done!!)

So hopefully some Palm support person will be able to read all that is written here and rectify the problem on future Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    He has taken note of the details of this very thread and is passing it on to other Palm reps. (Thanks Frank..well done!!)

So hopefully some Palm support person will be able to read all that is written here and rectify the problem on future Treos.
    Yeah right, don't hold your breath.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    Yeah right, don't hold your breath.
    lol

Ok maybe I'm too trusting..but the Palm guy (Frank) was the one who actually went out of his way to find out more about the issue..get some details of what problems people had had...and was keen to get the url reference to the thread...

Any decent company would be crazy if they didn't seek feedback on genuine user issues...all it needs is someone working in a position of influence in the company to take notice and do something!

I certainly hope this one is sorted out by the time we get to the Treo 950p!

We can but hope!
    Look at the track record of the headset jack issue, going a few models back and forward. Palm doesn't care.
    That may well be the issue here, in fact.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    Look at the track record of the headset jack issue, going a few models back and forward. Palm doesn't care.
    Well anyway..as of today they are sending me a new Treo...so given that I also had a dead pixel on the unit....I'll be happy to get a new one...

If Palm is happy to just keep giving it's customers new Treo's when they break down...well then so be it I guess! (Just a big problem when the warranty runs out!)

UPDATE:

Received the new Treo via Courier from interstate today...within 24 hours of dropping it off! I'm impressed!

If anyone else has this problem..I'd highly recommend you don't stuff around..and just get it replaced!

It's great to now have a non muted Treo
    Last edited by Mavoz; 04/19/2007 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Update
    I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to report that my 680 has a bad headset jack AGAIN!

I previously had a Graphite, had the headset jack issue, and got a new one (Advance Replacement - $25). In the meantime, I bought a Crimson. Well, a couple months later I now have the exact same issue with this Crimson, so I paid yet another $25 this week to get a new one (refurb, I guess) expedited to me.

Symptoms: basically, the device acts as if a headset is plugged in, even when the jack is empty. No sound through speaker, and the Speaker icon in the phone app is missing when a call is placed. Nobody can hear me, and I can't hear them.

What was slightly different this time is that the device would not work EVEN when I did plug in a headset. I most frequently have been using the Ety-Com headset recently (OMG is this thing awesome!) but also use a a few different 2.5-3.5 adaptors to listen to music, workout, etc.

So this issue has cost me $50 out of pocket so far, in addition to being without the use of my device for a total of 12 days.
    Old story, of course. They use cheap jacks and won't change their design. Then they skimp on the battery too. It's really a disaster. There is a software fix that SOMETIMES works on this, and other times doesn't. It will get you through the day when it happens, but it won't make the phone normal so you still have to go through the hassle of replacements, and they make that much more of a hassle than they should. Oh well....
    Also, I was quite gruff with the Palm rep on the phone (who kept idiotically insisting I would have a total of FOUR shipments involved in Advance Replacement--they ship to me, I ship broken Treo to them, they repair it, they ship to me, and I then ship them the Temp Replacement). Since I just went though the process recently, I told him he was uninformed, and let me talk to his supervisor. She was more knowledgeable, but was clueless about this "Headset Jack Issue" being a frequent problem. She had me on hold at one point for 10 minutes to "consult with my Level 2 Tech", and came back on to tell me that those above her had never heard of this issue.

I offered to email her a bunch of links, but then the call dropped and they didn't call me back (they had my number) nor did I call them.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_h View Post
    ......She was more knowledgeable, but was clueless about this "Headset Jack Issue" being a frequent problem. She had me on hold at one point for 10 minutes to "consult with my Level 2 Tech", and came back on to tell me that those above her had never heard of this issue.

I offered to email her a bunch of links, but then the call dropped and they didn't call me back (they had my number) nor did I call them.
    Just noticed another new thread on this issue...another person with this problem...how many Treo's do they have to replace before they start getting the idea?? (Or is it just the same few Treo's that keep getting 'refurbished' and passed on to others!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    Just noticed another new thread on this issue...another person with this problem...how many Treo's do they have to replace before they start getting the idea?? (Or is it just the same few Treo's that keep getting 'refurbished' and passed on to others!)
    Mate, you'll find this issue on every board of every model on this Forum. Palm is clearly not interested in fixing this. They must have had plenty of returns/replacements for this issue, yet that's how they choose to deal with it. I can guarantee whatever model they come out with next, it will still use that same shotty jack.
    My 680 started doing this after using the headphone jack perhaps 30-40 times at the most...I mean really minimal usage.

I was able to "fix" the problem by removing the battery. Seems OK now but I am concerned about future problems so I want to do an exchange. BUT I have one concern--the bezel around my screen has several cracks. I don't want them to say that the jack problem was caused by abuse of the phone (honestly i haven't been that rough on the phone its just that the bezel is really fragile and cracks easily. any advice on how to handle this.

BTW, if palm sends me a refurb phone i'm selling it immediately on ebay..the headphone jack was just the last straw. The malfunctioning navigation button...low earpiece volume have been bothering me for months.
    The odds are good they will send you a refurb, so get ready. But you may get lucky. The headphone jack is just one of the countless failures of the Treo, and one that has no easy remedy. The parallel failure--insufficient battery life--has finally been remedied by the Seidio 1600 which now gives a full day's use--as if we didn't all deserve that with the original design. Palm's a good phone, when it is all patched up by outside suppliers, but as a company it simply sucks. Sad but true.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123