1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've got my palm treo 680 sometime back. I've asked cingular for the unlock code as I am visiting some other country. Surprisingly they've given me the unlock code and I've tried that to my phone. I've got a message saying that my phone has been unlocked successfully. I was happy and tried T-Mobile SIM into my phone. It didn't work! I've got an error "Your phone cannot be used with this SIM card". I couldn't understand and tried to get some help from Cingular. But they asked me to change the device as there might be a problem with the device. I tried to find out the problem. In some of the threads, I've seen that many ppl are suffering from this problem. Has anybody got the resolution for the same? I've gone through one thread having a resolution of updating the firmware(it was for Treo 650). But I couldn't find any firmware for 680. Can anybody help as I need to get this unlocked very badly .

There is a minor possibility that my phone hasn't got unlocked properly. I've got an information that there might be two kinds of unlock prevails. Is there anything which can unlock my phone(has to be damn reliable!)? Any help is appreciated .

Regards,

b!{V}$...
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Not a solution but could you try another sim from someone elses phone - this will highlight either a problem with the sim or a problem with the unlocking.
    Maybe the ulock code is wrong.

My experience (with the 650) is that EVEN if you enter the WRONG code, you get the successfully unlocked message (but obviously the phone is not unlocked). Seems like the programmers are just trying to have a bit of fun, and maybe to foil hackers.
    Same thing happened to me.

Cingular gave me the incorrect unlock code. The phone will tell you that it is now unlocked, no matter what number you enter.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I had a similar issue. Put the card in that you want to work and then enter the unlock code. I was just in China and unlocked mine prior to going, but when I got there the China SIM wouldn't work. I unlocked it with the China SIM in and voila it worked.

It's a weird implementation on the T680.
    so what your saying is. if u go to china and enter the code. a half hour later you might need to re enter it. interesting.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlaughs View Post
    so what your saying is. if u go to china and enter the code. a half hour later you might need to re enter it. interesting.
    No. I needed the actual China SIM to unlock it correctly for that SIM. I had previously unlocked it with the Cingular SIM in, and when I put the China SIM in, it complained about still being locked.

I was lucky that I had the unlock code with me or I would have been stuck.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    If I remember correctly, the way Palm has programmed the Treos, they must be unlocked with the foriegn SIM in them. So, if you want to unlock a Cingular Treo, drop in a T-Mobile SIM or any other non-Cingular SIM and enter the code. The Treo should now be unlocked! Not sure why it is this way, has something to do with the carrier requirements of how SIMs are handled.

IMHO locking a Treo is sacriligeous! If Americans would rebel and stop buying locked phones from carriers, maybe things would change. And then, last month, you could buy an unlocked Treo 680 from Palm for $399... the same phone, locked to Cingular with no contact was $450! What???????? Crazy stuff indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by juancuero View Post
    No. I needed the actual China SIM to unlock it correctly for that SIM. I had previously unlocked it with the Cingular SIM in, and when I put the China SIM in, it complained about still being locked.

I was lucky that I had the unlock code with me or I would have been stuck.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    This sounds weird, but give it a shot - it worked for me.

I went thru the same procedure, ie, got my code, entered it, got the "unlocked" message, T-Mo sim did not work.

NEXT - put in the foreign sim, power up the phone, ie sim is not working, enter unlock code again (with foreign sim) just as before - your phone is now unlocked.

The trick is to enter the code with the other sim and the phone powered up. Don't ask me why it works, it just does...