• Resco Backup

21 38.89%
  • BackupMan

10 18.52%
  • NVbackup

18 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please vote and respond with specific details on the program you voted for that makes it your favorite. Thanks
    Resco Explorer. It has backup+verify (not scheduled) and much more.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Resco Explorer. It has backup+verify (not scheduled) and much more.
    What do you mean verify, and how would you describe the ease of use for Resco? Is this the backup that is built into the Resco Explorer?
    Resco Backup is probably the most reliable truouble-free program I have on my Treo and is has saved my a$$ many 10's of times. Before Pref Dr, I used it on a daily basis to fix my corrupted pref file. Use it occasionally to reset a corupted Z launcher pref file.

Have had several times needed a hard reset to get out of a particularly nasty crash and Resco had my phone 100% back online in 10 min or so

highly recommend it!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  5.    #5  
    Ok...check this out...i installed both backupbuddy vfs and resco explorer....and with backupbuddy...when i go into advanced settings..i see it only shows it selected 290 files.....however, when i go into resco backup, i see a total of 301 files....so perhapsy logically, we can break this down to resco backing up more files (11 to be exact) than backupbuddy...vfs...

is this a proper way to look at it?..or does each back up program break down core files into different sizes and pieces...hence..the mismatch of files being backed up
    Don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that with Resco, when I do a full back-up after a hard reset, everything comes back, including my blazer bookmarks, my phone call database, etc.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Been using BackUpMan for several years. It has always just done it's job, and saved me many times.

However, recently have started using NVBackup due to it doing a reset after the backup completes. This clears the cache on the 700P, and eliminates the lag time when starting blazer.

If BackUpMan would enable an automatic reset, would definitely switch back.
    RJuhl
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Currently using Resco Backup. Previously used BackupBuddy VFS and tried all of the free ones. Resco is easy to use, the option to clear cache after a backup is great, and the multiple backup sets with scheduling are awesome. I have it set to backup after a hotsync, do a full backup every night at 11:00 PM, and backup the saved and unsaved preferences before I get up in the morning. It also backups just my databases early in the morning before I get up. Better to be paranoid/anal than to have lost data.
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    What do you mean verify, and how would you describe the ease of use for Resco? Is this the backup that is built into the Resco Explorer?
    Resco backup is a more enhanced version of the backup utility built into Resco Explorer. One of the biggest difference is that in Resco BU, you can schedule backups and define various types of BU. In Explorer, the BU process is done manually. You can have multiple backup sets with your own names and date/time stamps. You can also do full or incremental backups in Explorer.

I'm sure that you can do everything in Resco BU that you can do in Resco Explorer. And more. But with Explorer, you get a file explorer and launcher as well.

By verify, I mean the utility to compare the files in RAM and those copied to the SD card backup set. Then, if everything compares (right after the backup), you are assured that all files have been backed up correctly.

Personally, I backup manually (using Resco Explorer) after a warm reset (to make sure that no files are open or get skipped). All my files get verified. On restores, the RAM gets restored perfectly after a warm reset.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I use both Resco BU & NVBackup. NV has an FTP function which uploads my compressed back up files to my server nightly (in case my Treo & my back up is lost/stolen), and also has a selective restore. And like qwalls said, Resco can clear cache after a backup, as well as VERIFY your files. I feel safer using both rather than just one. Both have restored me flawlessly.
    I previously used BackupMan v1.xx. Very poor business decision regarding their upgrade pricing. For virtually the same price as a BackupMan upgrade, I was able to purchase the full version of Resco Backup.
    I have found all of the products to be very reliable when it comes to their most fundamental task, that is restoring the device after a hard reset. One big plus for me when it comes to Resco backup.....
    I use Handbase several times daily for medical billing. Resco has an option to back up selected databases after an application is exited. So every time I exit Handbase, my small billing database is backed up. If I need to do a hard reset, I don't have to worry about beginning with last nights complete backup and filling in billing data from memory for today. I do a full restore from last nights data and then selectively restore the most recent small Handbase backup. If this weren't important issue for me, I'd probably go with the no cost option.
    For you guys with a Treo 700p using the auto reset feature after a back up, doesn't that mean that you have to recalibrate the treo?

I have to recalibrate mine after each reset.

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I see this backup thread (one of 4 or 5) is in good hands . . . Resco Backup holding a solid lead!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    For you guys with a Treo 700p using the auto reset feature after a back up, doesn't that mean that you have to recalibrate the treo?

I have to recalibrate mine after each reset.

TIA
    You shouldn't have to recalibrate your screen after a soft reset....only after a hard reset..
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    You shouldn't have to recalibrate your screen after a soft reset....only after a hard reset..
    You're right palakdesai-I shouldn't have to but that's what's needed. I know I've read it before here at T/C that some were having this same issue. I have yet to find any solution. It's a pain.

tks anyway.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I didn't vote cause my option wasn't there. Resco Explorer for me too. I didn't buy it for a backup program, but for a file management program. The backup was a great added bonus!
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    I recently restored using Resco and it was a mess: preferences, registrations, etc. lost. Backupman does not restore Java, but everything else is better.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I recently restored using Resco and it was a mess: preferences, registrations, etc. lost. Backupman does not restore Java, but everything else is better.
    I wonder why your experience is radically different from nearly everyone else? Just might be you have some seriously corrupted files. I wouldn't just dismiss it because Backupman APPEARS to have no problems.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Did everything compare correctly when you did the Verify after the last backup (that you used to restore) with Resco?

Did you restore after a warm reset?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I've scheduled NVBackup to run every night with a reset. It's never failed. Restores have always worked and very simple to use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast