1.    #1  
    Hello, this is my first post on this forum, but I have read tons of threads and posted on other forums.
    My problem is pretty simple, and I read some solutions.
    I would like to sync my gmail account every morning on my versamail account on my Treo 650. I have tried all the possible settings provided in various post (check, uncheck SSL, check uncheck ESMTP, change my password, change the ports -110 incoming, 25,465,587 outcoming, in the gmail settings, I enabled pop for all emails, only from now one etc...). I cannot do it.

I have also read different posts, some in this forum, saying that indeed Versamail, through the Hotsync conduit cannot sync with an SSL connection. I would like someone to confirm that. The reason I ask, is that, in many "other posts" where people claimed Gmail worked on their T650, they were not mentionning the way they were syncing... And I think there might be a problem with gmail ( I had also a problem to sync it with Windows desktop live mail, no work around, and after 2 days, eventually it went through and was suddenly able to download all the mails without ANY CHANGE !!!!)

If someone make it work through the hotsync conduit can you please let me know so that I contact Google to make it work with mine???

If not, how would you sync it via Bluetooth ? I am a BT newbie, for the rest I pretty much know my stuff, but I don't see where to make the setting for Versamail to get the emails via BT.

Thanks to every one of you, and another thanks if someone can find a solution for me.
    Best,
    Have you considered using the gmail java app to get your gmail on your treo? I did that and it seems to work fairly well. I cant help you with all the versamail questions, I have tons of problems with versamail myself and am in the process of trying chattermail right now.

Bob
    I used gMail with Versamail before getting SnapperMail, it doesn't work through Hotsync!

You need to set up Versamail to sync (retrieve) your gMail through an internet connection.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=12103
  4.    #4  
    Thanks to both of you. HPspringer, I already had read all this "Howto" on gmail's website but thanks for the advice. When you say that I need "to set up Versamail to sync (retrieve) your gMail through an internet connection", can you explain it to me, in a step by step way. Don't need too much details, just the menu you're going through to set this up (+ if it's on the Treo itself or on the Palm Desktop). Do you do it through Bluetooth ?

Anyone using Versamail and being able to sync its gmail account with Versamail through Hotsync ?

Another question, I am looking into Chattermail, and see that it has a feature called Background SSL support on this comparison chart. Is it What I am looking for, i.e. a way to connect to SSL webmail service which allows Pop setting (gmail), through Hotsync ? or does the "background" part mean something different ?

Thanks again to anyone of you who can help.
    Best,
    I think that you are confusing the concept of "syncing" through the hotsync process with "retrieving" mail using your data connection. Though some email apps (outlook, etc.) will allow you to sync existing email (ie already retrieved from the internet) to your Treo, none that I know of will allow you to actually retrieve unread mail from the internet during the hotsync process. I use Snappermail (premium) for retrieving gmail USING MY DATA CONNECTION. I have also used Versamail for the same purpose, but I find it slow, buggy, and cumbersome. When hotsyncing with my desktop machine, my mail databases (on the Treo) are backed up, but there is no other communication with either email programs on my computer, or the internet.
  6.    #6  
    Hi Blocktekand thank you very much.

I am actually not confusing. Versamail is indeed perfectly able to go and pretrieve your emails directly into your pop account. It does it for my emails in my ISP inbox. The problem I have is that (1) the adress is not customized and simple to remember, and (2)... it has only 100mb of memory... which comparing to my almost 3Gb in gmail is ... (how would I put that... well, let's choose the math way): 30x smaller.... :-)

the unique problem I am seeing is the SSL connection or, an unknown (at least to me) Gmail problem.

To come back to the principal subject of my topic. as I mentioned earlier, there are tons of posts saying that with X settings, they are able to get their email from Gmail without specifying whether they do sync with hotsync, or use their Bluetooth or data plan connection to get those email. They are however saying they're using Versamail. From your post, I assume you do it (or are able to do it) with Versamail, configuring your connection to make it use your data plan. But could it be retrieved thanks to a BT connection with reverse DUN ?

Thanks for your opinion guys, and for your suggestions. But it looks like there is no way to get the gmail inbox into my Versamail through Hotsync, given that nobody is posting a way to do it. Or does someone know how to do it ?

(That's fine, I can use a work around by for example forwarding my gmail emails to my ISP inbox, and archive it on Gmail while deleting it on my ISP inbox...)
    You still are confounding this issue with the entire HotSync/BT/Reverse DUN thing.

Let's simplify:

1. Can you set up a GMail account in VersaMail? Yes.
    2. Can VersaMail retrieve mail over the air with a data plan? Yes.
    3. Can VersaMail retrieve mail through some voodoo during a HotSync? No.
    4. Can you set up reverse DUN and have VersaMail use that? Sure.

I'm still not sure what the problem you're having is. Can you not set up the GMail account at all? Do you not have a data plan and want to get the mail on your Treo through some other method?
    I hate versa mail.. But it pulls through 70% of the time... I use gMail with it and its not my favorite but it could be worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarmanDX View Post
    You still are confounding this issue with the entire HotSync/BT/Reverse DUN thing.

Let's simplify:

1. Can you set up a GMail account in VersaMail? Yes.
    2. Can VersaMail retrieve mail over the air with a data plan? Yes.
    4. Can you set up reverse DUN and have VersaMail use that? Sure.

I'm still not sure what the problem you're having is. Can you not set up the GMail account at all? Do you not have a data plan and want to get the mail on your Treo through some other method?
    This is indeed crystal clear and cannot be explained any better. Almost all Treo users are retrieving email thru over the air data plans - that's why we use the Treo.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks StarmanDX,

this is indeed crystal clear. my question was all about your point 3. I was not confusing, and I understand each of the 4th points you were listing.

So the answer to my original question is no (point 3). I don't think it should be considered as "voodoo"... given that this option works with any pop3 mail server which does not have SSL... Versamail could have something a little more elaborated don't you think... The reason I was asking is that I am leaving in Spain and that there are no cheap data plans, and on top of that, I don't mind syncing once per day and take my daily emails with me, answers them, and sync them at night. That was about it. But many thanks for clarifying that it is not possible, although it's a shame I think...

Now about the 4th point, this could be a work around, set up a reverse DUN and have Versamail use it to sync in the morning before I leave for work. Would you mind helping me a little bit with that ? I will also look deeper into the reverse DUN post listed in the sticky of this forum.

Thanks a lot to all of you for being so cooperative.
    Last questions on another topic, because I cannot find the answer even doing some research, is chatteremail stable enough to be put into a custom ROM, or would you rather advise not to ? and does Chatteremail solve the point no 3 ??
    Quote Originally Posted by StarmanDX View Post
    Y
    I think I understand what the original poster is asking. If you click on the HotSync icon, and go to custom, you can set VersaMail to sync accounts during HotSync. However, the above answer is technically correct, because it seems HotSync does not support SSL connection. I say HotSync and not Gmail since I had all my settings in the HotSync dialog box the same as Outlook and my Treo, Outlook and Treo will download mail but HotSync will not.

At least thats how I see it in my non-geeky, non-technical way
    Thanks to all the posters who have got me started setting up Versamail as my email client on my 650 for my gmail account. Based on your posts, I have got my gmail working, but I can only retrieve old messages.

Setup:

Mail Service: Other
    Protocol: POP
    Incoming port: 995, with SSL, no APOP
    Outgoing port: 587, with SSL and ESMTP

I am bringing back messages about 1 year old, but the system can't find any of the newer ones when its "checking for new messages".

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thank
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    Thanks, ScudB. I appreciate the help.

I've tried the remedies in the link, multiple times, but am getting the same results: everything "works", but only old (>1 yr) email messages are returned and subsequent gets don't bring back any newer messages.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Hello, I just read this entire thread, so forgive me if I missed you saying this, but why don't you want to use a data plan to retrieve your email during the day, on the treo? There is little need to hotsync your email, given that most people buy a smartphone for the exact purpose of being connected to the internet on it. If you use the data plan you can go to the mobile gmail site and just read, answer, delete you mail in real time - or as you did suggest - get a program like ChatterEmail. I personally use ChatterEmail for my gmail account and I thrilled with it. You can set it for "Push" email, where is it constanly connected to your email server, so will notify you immediately when an email is delivered to the inbox.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.