Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I got an e-mail from Bits 'n' Bolts telling me since I was still a Backup Man 1.xx user, it would behoove me to upgrade to 2.2. I currently have a 650 with plans to upgrade to a 700p, but not until my 650 conks out. I don't want to pay the upgrade unless I absolutely have to. BM 1.55 works fine for my needs. Here's what they said when I asked if I kept 1.55 on a 700p

"Please note that support for BackupMan v1 was discontinued over a year ago, and it is not compatible with modern devices such as the Treo 680 and Treo 700p. Running BackupMan v1 on these devices can produce a variety of unpredictable results."

Does BM 1.55 work well on a 700p or will I need to upgrade to 2.2?
    How much does it cost to upgrade? If I recall, there are a bunch of cool features in the recent versions that weren't in the old ones.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer View Post
    How much does it cost to upgrade? If I recall, there are a bunch of cool features in the recent versions that weren't in the old ones.
    $12 or $13, but I only paid $10 for v1.53. In essence, it's $25 for a backup solution. I'm paying more for the upgrade then original which seems rather asinine.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Your fussing about $12 or $13?! If what you have is working fine for you, why are you thinking about upgrading? Usually, upgrades in sw that go from one version number to another always cost you.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    I have 1.55 running on my 700p and have had no issues. Both automated back-ups and restores have worked just fine.
    FYI, I upgraded for the additional features and thought it worth the few dollars. To each his own, though. :-)
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg View Post
    Your fussing about $12 or $13?! If what you have is working fine for you, why are you thinking about upgrading? Usually, upgrades in sw that go from one version number to another always cost you.
    Please read the original post. I said it's working fine on my 650, but since I'm thinking of upgrading to a 700p, I was wondering how well 1.xx worked on that device. I don't mind paying to upgrade software, but it's never been my experience that the upgrade was more then the original buying price.

ksmith80209, thanks for your input. I was looking for feedback from 700p users.

KRamsauer, I'm trying out BM 2.2 now to see if it's worth it to me to upgrade.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    FWIW

I have tried Backupman 1.xxx, BackupBuddy, Card Backup and Resco Backup. None justify the extra expense over NVbackup on my Treo 600, 650 and now 700p. Why? NVbackup is free. Only NVbackup reliably restores Java to the Treo. Before you upgrade, try NVbackup. I have now deleted Backupman and BackupBuddy. I keep Card Backup around because it does one thing better than NVbackup: it does multiple automatic updates throughout the day (NVbackup -- for now -- is limited to one daily automatic backup).
    I used to use BackupMan, I even had V2. Used it since my TE, later on T3.
    A big benefit over 1.5 was the ability to make incremental backups during the day. I am pretty sure version 1.5x will still work on 700p.

Now I have entirely switched to Resco Backup (2 projects: incremental with 5 cycles and full for 5 cycles) and NVBackup. Main reason because BM did not clean up that nicely (log files where not cleaned), the incremental was just an 'add-new-file-to-set-but-keep-old-file-as-well' with no possibility to retrieve previous versions, and it did not allow for multiple 'angles' when backing up.
    Resco can do this (the 'projects').

Why NVBackup ? Because it is freeware and it gets excellent reviews (heck, I even recommend it whenever I can) so I had to install it on my device when I got an NVFS device just to see how it works
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    I continue to use BackupMan v1.55 on my 700P, but it wasn't playing nice with Chatter and would cause crashes. Now I just have my backup set for early a.m. and force a soft reset after backup and never see any issues.

I probably should just switch over to NVBackup, which I tried and seems to work well. I just hate not using something I originally paid for!

Oh, and for RandyG: No, $13 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but even that expense can be questionable when the orig. version still works and there's a good freeware solution.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    BTW - I have a 700P and have Chattermail running concurrently w/ Back-up Man v.1.55 with no issues. Everything works fine (minus the restore of java). I just can't see any justification for the upgrade personally.
    Your statement about restoring Java reliably is wrong. I have Java on both my 650 and 700p, both running Resco Backup and both are restored without a problem. Also, Resco Backup has a few more options than NVBackup - they both do a great job.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by delao13 View Post
    FWIW

I have tried Backupman 1.xxx, BackupBuddy, Card Backup and Resco Backup. None justify the extra expense over NVbackup on my Treo 600, 650 and now 700p. Why? NVbackup is free. Only NVbackup reliably restores Java to the Treo. Before you upgrade, try NVbackup. I have now deleted Backupman and BackupBuddy. I keep Card Backup around because it does one thing better than NVbackup: it does multiple automatic updates throughout the day (NVbackup -- for now -- is limited to one daily automatic backup).
    The upgrade does not provide for the restoring of Java. Ben