Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I definitely have noticed a substantial difference. At standby with network time/date set to automatic, I was still at 90% after 14 hours. (a big change from the 10-15% I'd be at before with date/time set to do nothing).
    So fingers crossed that this stays the case-I can work with this.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I too have had great success with the patch. Before I could barely make it out of the office with any charge left and had to use my car charger on my way home. Now, it lasts the whole day until I put it in the craddle before I go to bed at night.
    Before battery patch about 2 - 3 days battery life.
    After patch 6 days battery life.
    Same usage, GSM off for 6 hours at night.
    Quite happy now
    I'm getting really great battery life now. Normally I talk on the phone a lot, so it's hard to judge standby time because I'm charging the phone every other day, but I had unusual days on tuesday and wednesday where I didn't talk on the phone much (only a few phone calls for less than 20 minutes). I took the phone off the charger at 10am on tuesday morning, and by 6pm wednesday (32 hours later), it still had 88%. So I'm thinking maybe Palms 300 hours standby claim is not far off.
    Did all of you reporting success actually use the camera often? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I took a few shots with the camera for giggles after updating with the patch, and that's it.. I took maybe 20 shots with the 650 in the 18months that I had it.

Because if you didn't use the camera, this patch would do nothing for your battery life..
    In my case, yes, I've used the camera, but certainly not "often"-just a handful of pictures so far. Nevertheless, I would imagine all it takes is just one picture for the battery drain issue to be triggered.
    For example, I charged overnight, then this morning made a few calls, sent text messages and checked email (about 3 hours duration) and then got on a 3 hour plane ride. During the flight, I listened to pTunes and, at the same time, played video poker (about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs.)

Battery life left, 45%. Not bad.
    Dennis G. Esler
    I don't use the camera much at all (once every week or two), and I disagree with the person who said that this patch isn't effective if you're not a camera user. The issue, as I understand it, was that the camera was wrongly draining battery. Now the camera behaves nicely.

Before the patch, my Treo would lose between 4%-8% per hour. Overnight it would lose 20%+. An hour after installing the patch, I went on a trip away from 'civilization' (no need for phone, plus no phone signal even if I wanted to use it). After 2 days, I pulled the Treo out of my backpack and the battery was at 92%. This was 2 days of total idle, with me not touching a single button, much less the camera. Pre-Patch, I wouldn't have been surprised if the unit was dead after sitting for 2 days.

I checked my calendar and played a few games (probably 3 hours of gaming) over the next couple of days. Came home on the 5th day with battery at 59%, without ever having charged it. Phone was off the whole time.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_h View Post
    I don't use the camera much at all (once every week or two), and I disagree with the person who said that this patch isn't effective if you're not a camera user. The issue, as I understand it, was that the camera was wrongly draining battery. Now the camera behaves nicely.
    Only after being used.. No use, no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Only after being used.. No use, no problem.
    I don't know if that is necessarily true. Palm issued the patch, saying that the camera app uses power even after it is used. But I don't know if they said expressly that it will not misfunction if not used. Did they actually say that?
    I don't know if that is necessarily true. Palm issued the patch, saying that the camera app uses power even after it is used. But I don't know if they said expressly that it will not misfunction if not used. Did they actually say that?
    I dont think they have said that. Furthermore, I think people have occasionally reported unexplained drains that do not appear to be linked with camera use since the last reset - I have had a couple of these myself, prior to the patch, but not since. It is therefore possible that the faulty camera application may have been responsible for big power drains, even when the camera wasn't activated. However, there are other problems that can cause big drains, such as the IR beam receive function in RedBeard's case. This is a strange one, because others (including myself) do not find any problem with IR beam receive, so there may also be phone specific problems.
    I still get power drains on mine for no reason until I soft reset.. I stop all network apps, disconnect, yet still 4-5%/hr sometimes. And again, I don't use the camera.

I think it has nothing to do with the camera in this case, there's just something else going on. Maybe bluetooth as someone suggested, I had synced via Bluetooth this morning.
    Bluetooth doesn't seem to be an issue for me. I am seeing the better battery life and I synch via Bluetooth. I have gone 38 hours between charging, but that's the upper limit. Definitely night and day though from the pre-patch battery life, and enough to be workable for me.
    Did all of you reporting success actually use the camera often? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I took a few shots with the camera for giggles after updating with the patch, and that's it.. I took maybe 20 shots with the 650 in the 18months that I had it.

Because if you didn't use the camera, this patch would do nothing for your battery life..
    That's completely untrue. It may be labeled a camera patch, but I instantly got much better battery life after applying the patch and I almost never use the camera.

And I don't mean kindof maybe psyched myself into thinking that it's better. Like, it's now better battery life than I used to get with my Treo 650. Like 6 hours difference, when I'm 100% bluetooth, always online push e-mail accounts, etc.
    Sure it is.. ;-) It updates one file, the camera library.

Make sure your brush your teeth after taking your sugar placebo.
    Sure it is.. ;-) It updates one file, the camera library.

Make sure your brush your teeth after taking your sugar placebo.
    Perhaps you should go investigate how Palm OS does their not-quite-multitasking and you would realize why this might affect the battery without using the camera.

It's one thing to be ignorant. It's another to be an ******* while you're demonstrating your ignorance.

And my experience isn't a placebo, monkey boy. I was getting 8-10 hours on busy days, 12-14 hours on days I didn't use the phone much. Now I can get 22 hours on days I don't use the phone much, and 12-14 on busy days.
    Is everyone sure that some of the battery drain has nothing to do with the SIM card? I stopped using my 680 for a few days to load new apps and finish "conditioning" the battery after the patch and put my new 3G SIM card in my 650. Everyday at 6:30am, my 650 battery has been 100% coming off the charger and by 4:00pm it's red lining and reads 5%. My 650 has always gotten great battery life until using my new SIM. I've never had my battery drain in less than a day of light usage...
    I'm getting roughly 30 - 35% more battery life on a heavy usage day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Is everyone sure that some of the battery drain has nothing to do with the SIM card? ... put my new 3G SIM card in my 650. Everyday at 6:30am, my 650 battery has been 100% coming off the charger and by 4:00pm it's red lining and reads 5%. My 650 has always gotten great battery life until using my new SIM. ...:
    Yes but you probably have an old battery in your 650. I'd say its the old battery not the new SIM card.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhett View Post
    Perhaps you should go investigate how Palm OS does their not-quite-multitasking and you would realize why this might affect the battery without using the camera.

It's one thing to be ignorant. It's another to be an ******* while you're demonstrating your ignorance.

And my experience isn't a placebo, monkey boy. I was getting 8-10 hours on busy days, 12-14 hours on days I didn't use the phone much. Now I can get 22 hours on days I don't use the phone much, and 12-14 on busy days.
    Sssshhhh.. Go back to nappy. You woke up too early.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast