1.    #1  
    Now that Palm has released a patch for the battery leak, does one need to jump thru all the hoops that were being recommended earlier to increase battery life? Assuming one has a brand new Treo 680 just out of the box, what steps must one take, other than to install the patch ofcourse, to get the best battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Now that Palm has released a patch for the battery leak, does one need to jump thru all the hoops that were being recommended earlier to increase battery life? Assuming one has a brand new Treo 680 just out of the box, what steps must one take, other than to install the patch ofcourse, to get the best battery life?
    I'm sure people's experiences on this will vary, but I have an "original" (bought the day they were released) 680, and ALL I've done is apply the patch. I'm getting decent (less than or about 1%/hour drop) with no other "voodoo" required.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm going on 24 hours and have 78% battery left...that's just under 1%/hr

I'm doing no GPRS and have Time auto-syncing.
    I'm planning on seeing how long I can go with no GPRS, and then turning chattermail on to compare.

/ancker
    Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post

I'm planning on seeing how long I can go with no GPRS, and then turning chattermail on to compare.

/ancker
    I've got one IMAP box getting pushed and now see about 3% per hour (post-patch). Seems reasonable to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post

/ancker
    GPRS itself does not use much juice.. You can verify that by just simply going online and watching.

Data activity eats juice.. If any apps are online that use data, you'll see 5-7%/hr drop. I'm making a table for my own interest right now, but basically if I'm offline in Chatter (no checks during period) but GPRS is active, 1% drop.. Offline in Chatter (10m polling), GPRS active, 3%. Interestingly the same amount if I am online in Chatter, 3%. So unless your polling period is quite long, might as well stay online.

Verichat by itself in online mode uses 4%. There are other combinations, but it's mostly for curiousity. Verichat doesn't work quite right on the 680 in SMS mode, and if Chatter uses the same juice in online mode as polling for 10m, I'll stick with online. So in the end, what will I change? Not much, personally.

I do wish that these activities didn't use so much battery. I still do not think the 650 was drained as fast. I lost around 2%/hr at most with the 650 with the same configuration. Given the battery differences, that should be around 3%/hr with the 680. Chatter and Verichat online are 5% (at best) to 7%/hr. So something is worse. Not sure if overall the 680 uses battery faster or if data apps do.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ... I still do not think the 650 was drained as fast. I lost around 2%/hr at most with the 650 with the same configuration. Given the battery differences, that should be around 3%/hr with the 680. Chatter and Verichat online are 5% (at best) to 7%/hr. So something is worse. Not sure if overall the 680 uses battery faster or if data apps do.
    So far, that's not my experience. I am astonished to find somewhat better battery life with the 680, with Chatter going IMAP push full time, and medium use with voice, SMS, other apps., etc. It doesn't make sense to me, but after changing the cradle, doing the battery camera patch, and the SIM out nonsense, I am getting 650 performance and more...which defies physics, it seems to me. How much better, exactly, is not clear, and I need a few days more to nail that down.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I am getting 650 performance and more...which defies physics, it seems to me. How much better, exactly, is not clear, and I need a few days more to nail that down.
    Trust me you're not defying physics with any Palm product.
    It is clear I am getting about 19-20 hours of battery life under conditions where, with my 650 AND THE EXTENDED BATTERY, I got maybe 16 hours maximum. I'm really amazed. I was certain with a laughably tiny battery, that I would get something less, perhaps much less, but this is quite impressive. I have used the phone in the same way as before, in some very low-signal areas. I have the camera patch, and changed my cradle to what is supposed to be a compatible model, recalibrated the battery according to Palm's SIM-out method, and have adopted only two battery-saving strategies that I did not use with the 650: I have stopped syncing time (I might change that tomorrow and see if it has any effect), and I installed plights and basically turn off the kayboard lights almost all the time. I don't know which of those five or so factors is meaningful (if any). I hate to say it, because I despise Palm (almost as much as I despise people who fawn at the feet of Apple and its crook-CEO Jobs) but this is really not a bad phone.
    I find it hard to believe that you could possibly be getting longer battery life, with the 680's smaller batter, then you got with the 650. I'd love to try Palm's SIM-out method - can you give me a link? I tried to turn off time syncing and it was a disaster - the phone's clock lost hours in the day, totally not acceptable.

I've put up with a lot of crap, delays, poor implementations, etc. since I got my first Palm Pilot Professional but I've never thought I could say that I 'hated Palm'. Especially since I've been a loyal stock holder since they were 3Com. But they've dropped the ball big time with this device. It's a lemon. I have a huge vested interest in Palm - between compatible devices, software, processes at work, etc. But I really don't see how I can stay on the sinking ship.

Dunc
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Dunc, you're being unreasonable. This is a complex product, two full years in developing the fabulous innovations over the 650, which include sanding the antenna off and...and...hm. Anyway, add the battery patch, turn off all your useful applications, make a 3 hour tech support call, read every post on every Treo forum on the planet every day for clues about how to make it work, put the 680 in the freezer at 12, 2, 4, 6, and 8 for seven and a half minutes, and sing a gentle lullaby to it in mid-afternoon and at bedtime. It's sure to be working like they said it would, or at least 25% as well, by Halloween.
    Last edited by ohbw; 01/23/2007 at 01:14 PM.
    Brian
    http://forum.treonauts.com/treo-mode...tructions.html

But to tell the truth, that may be garbage. I've tried to track down a Palm statement on that, and can find no such information on any Palm site. It's possible it's just snake oil as someone else has said. There really is no reason why the SIM card could make ANY difference in battery charging, nor in resetting the battery circuit. The best information I've found is that the battery algorithm is flaky and there is really nothing you can do about it. I posted an experience I had in which the battery meter went from 62% to 96% or so within minutes, then dropped down again a short while later. I am skeptical, to say the least, of the above link.
    Last edited by mdavis; 01/23/2007 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Further research finding no Palm statement onthis
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    http://forum.treonauts.com/treo-mode...tructions.html

But to tell the truth, that may be garbage. I've tried to track down a Palm statement on that, and can find no such information on any Palm site. It's possible it's just snake oil....
    So a comedian, from Finland, with 10 posts to his name comes up with a procedure. His post gets made sticky, so people suddenly take it more seriously. Someone reads it at Treonauts and reports back here and the deception continues to spread!

Believe me, I wish fixing the battery life was as simple as charging and removing the SIM card for 1 minute. But as someone with a technical background I realize it's going to be a little bit more involved then that.
    But you're replying to a total skeptic, and yet I have better results now than I've had in 3 years or so--going back to my 600 with Chatter, then my 650 with the extended batery. I agree that SIM out reset has got to be nonsense, and I'm skeptical of the cradle thing (if I hadn't already received the new Palm cradle with my 680 I would not have gone out to buy one just to comply with their advice). I am often a heavy user, and always a moderate user, so when I start the day at 8:30 am, and get back home at 11:30, and the phone keeps operating fine until I go to sleep at 1:30 am (disregarding the battery meter which said something like 20% at that time), something is working--either the 680 itself does in fact have that kind of battery efficiency, or the patch produced it. I don't believe in magic or even mysteries (they're all in your head) but this is real-world performance I never got close to with earlier Treos. I'm not saying it's a great phone (I get just as many resets as I did with the 650 and I get lockups as well each time I send a SMS, and...it goes on and on...) but the battery is performing well for me.
    The SIM is to keep the phone from turning on or doing other activities, paired with disabling programs that start up at boot, or manually pushing any buttons on the phone.

Period. Don't make more of it than it is.
    Don't make more of it than it is.
    OK. So it's not from some Finnish comedian. Has Palm said this works? Do you have the link? It would be nice to see that Palm actually recommended this.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I just did the camera/battery fix patch. Today is the first full work day I have taken the 680 since the patch. The phone has been on all day, listening to Pocket Tunes music about two hours, downloaded emails about once an hour and browsed the web for may a total of an hour. It's after 4:40pm and I took the Treo off the charger at 7:00am. It's down to 66%. Not hateful! Much better than a few weeks agi when I really needed to charge it about this time of day. I'd say the patch is helping.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    The SIM is to keep the phone from turning on or doing other activities, paired with disabling programs that start up at boot, or manually pushing any buttons on the phone.

Period. Don't make more of it than it is.
    I guess I still don't get it then. The Palm / FInnish instructions say take the battery out for 1 minute, then take the SIM card out for one minute. Why would we be worried about the phone turning on without the battery? Static maybe? EMF? I'm drawing a blank here...
    I'm pretty convinced it's a joke. If you look hard, you can't figure out where these bogus instructions came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    I guess I still don't get it then. The Palm / FInnish instructions say take the battery out for 1 minute, then take the SIM card out for one minute. Why would we be worried about the phone turning on without the battery? Static maybe? EMF? I'm drawing a blank here...
    You're being stubborn, I'm not wasting any of my time explaining it again.