Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Anyone try the 680 camera patch on their 700p to try to save some battery length?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote from the Palm 680 Camera Updater Page:

This patch is intended only for Treo 680 smartphones. It does not work with other devices.

(If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. . . . . . . would be my suggestion.)

Cheers, Perry.
    especially since they have different radios on them (CDMA vs GSM). No thanks, I'll just wait for a 700p update........and wait........and wait........
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Quote from the Palm 680 Camera Updater Page:

This patch is intended only for Treo 680 smartphones. It does not work with other devices.

(If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. . . . . . . would be my suggestion.)

Cheers, Perry.
    duh, like I didn't know this...rollseyes

and it is broke, the battery stinks...

I'm sure a camera update has nothing to do with the radios either...
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    duh, like I didn't know this...rollseyes

and it is broke, the battery stinks...

I'm sure a camera update has nothing to do with the radios either...
    Hey Noodle!

I'm confused. You think the 700P battery life stinks? If so, I believe it is a different problem for you than the camera.

Sorry, your original post led me to believe you had not been at the Palm web site and seen the warning.

Cheers, Perry.
    Noodle

Why don't you try it out and let us know how it works for you?
    no battery problem for me... I'm curious to see how it works. What will it hurt noodle? If all else fails you can hard reset!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Actually the camera patch works to save the battery by disabling the camera module while not in use...
    and no I'm not going to be the guinea pig, just wondering if any of the brave hax0rs out there tried yet...
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I still think this patch would be useless on the 700P . . . . . . .

"Palm has identified that the Treo 680 device can experience reduced battery life when the camera is used. The camera may continue to draw power from the battery when the device is in standby mode. Treo 680 users should install the Treo 680 Camera Update to address this issue."

. . . . . . . . . the patch (I assume) is to keep the 680's camera from doing this . . . and thus saves battery life due to stopping the power draw that should not be happening anyway. My assumption is that this "unwanted draw" has only been identified as a Treo 680 camera module issue and that is why the patch is listed as a 680 patch only. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    I can almost guarantee you that no matter how hard you try, you won't get the patch on the 700p. It is pretty certain that Palm will do a device check and the patch will complain if it sees that it is not on a Treo 680.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I did the battery life improvement procedure (not the camera patch) on my 700p and it worked. It improved battery life and stability of my phone.
    KJ78:

Which procedure?

Thanks,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbuckley View Post
    KJ78:

Which procedure?

Thanks,

David
    I think the procedure is to reset your phone while its plugged into a power source. This is supposed to reset the battery management.

I can say that my battery life has always been exceptional. I have NVBackup set to run at 3am and reset afterwards which happens while its plugged in and charging.

Hopefully this daily battery reset doesn't have any long term ill effect on my Treo, but based on its current state (great battery life and very stable ) I don't think so.

Update: Some sites say you need to remove the battery for one minute while its plugged into a power source, but I personally have not done this.
    Last edited by 20vBeat; 02/21/2007 at 08:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20vBeat View Post
    I think the procedure is to reset your phone while its plugged into a power source. This is supposed to reset the battery management.

I can say that my battery life has always been exceptional. I have NVBackup set to run at 3am and reset afterwards which happens while its plugged in and charging.

Hopefully this daily battery reset doesn't have any long term ill effect on my Treo, but based on its current state (great battery life and very stable ) I don't think so.
    Is this really true? somebody run a test ?
    I found where I read about this. It is in the My Treo application (Verizon 700p). They call it an In-Cradle Reset.
    Quote: "An in-cradle reset will reset the charging circuitry in a rechargeable device...The charger can be any type of cradle or cable that charges your device. The important bit is to make sure the power adapter is plugged in and supplying power to your device during the reset."

Looks to be true.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbuckley View Post
    KJ78:

Which procedure?

Thanks,

David
    http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/01/treo_680_batter.html
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    thanks for the data on the cradle reset.
    noodlelest wet noodler