Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a month-old Treo 700p. I FINALLY got it working right. Then I installed TomTom 6 maps.

Now, every time I try to launch TomTom Navigator I get the error message "Not enough free DB Cache Memory to run this application."

Anyone know how to prevent this message from recurring? The only 3rd party apps I have are TomTom, Chattermail, and the Voice Control software, so I shouldn't be out of memory.

The Navigator maps are on my SD card, which shows as 178.1 mb used, 719.8 mb free.

I'm also having problems with the TreoCentral web site. Every few days it seems to wipe out my username and all postings connected with the username. So if you've got a solution, in addition to posting it if you could also send it by email to me at dhs14@cornell.edu, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Try soft resetting your Treo then try TomTom.
  3.    #3  
    Soft reset works but there's got to be a better solution. Why is it happening to begin with? When I'm trying to drive somewhere, I hate to have to wait for a reset. Something's wrong that's causing the problem and I'd like to figure out what it is and how to solve it
    You have all the symptoms of a "low dbcache" problem although I'm very surprised you are seeing this on a 700p. It was much more common for some of us on the 650 with only 10MB of dbCache (700 has >20). Have a read through this wiki article for all the details.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I have the same issue with TomTom 6 runing from the SD card on my 700p.

I use MemInfo to clear the DBcache instead of doing a softreset. Also I have NVbackup and have it reset the treo every night, so i rarely will need to use meminfo.

Here is link to download the program http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-959.html?MemInfo
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Executing a DB cache flush before running it is better than a soft reset. The reason why is after a soft reset, everything gets loaded again. After a DB cache flush, nothing gets reloaded.

Ben
  7.    #7  
    How do I do a db cache flush?
    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimon View Post
    How do I do a db cache flush?
    A soft reset will flush the cache and you can try TomTom right now without installing anything else. For an ongoing solution, do a search here for "db cache" as there are a number of apps that can do that for you. I use ResetDoctor (http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/reset-doctor-more.php) but there might be some free programs people have mentioned.
    MemoryInfo and DB Cache Tool are the two free ones. I use to use MemoryInfo but now use ResetDoctor and have it set to clear the DB cache at 4mb. Also another factor is the locking of applications, lock those that need locking and not those that do not need it (Resco Locker).

Ben
    BTW, I noticed that you can clear the DBCache automatically with BackupMan after a backup. (Under Advanced Options)...
    Quote Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post
    BTW, I noticed that you can clear the DBCache automatically with BackupMan after a backup. (Under Advanced Options)...
    You can also do this with Resco backup. I think the issue is such a big deal that DBCache clearing is showing up as an option in a lot of apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    You can also do this with Resco backup. I think the issue is such a big deal that DBCache clearing is showing up as an option in a lot of apps.
    Good point, it certainly is a big deal on the 700p, not sure about the others. I find myself doing manual resets using LauncherX whenever I'm finished working on something whether or not the Treo needs it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Good point, it certainly is a big deal on the 700p, not sure about the others. I find myself doing manual resets using LauncherX whenever I'm finished working on something whether or not the Treo needs it or not.
    I do the same and, while some might say that is a burden, it has made my Treo very stable. I have not had a reset in over two months, so clearing the DBCache a few times a day is a trade-off I'm willing to make given the current state of the device. Hopefully future versions will handle this better.
  14.    #14  
    With BackupMan, do you need to lock apps first? Several people (above) talk about it but I don't know what it is, where to find it, how to use it, and how to know what apps need to be locked...and I'm afraid of screwing up my phone, which I struggled for two weeks to get workign properly. Don't want to have to do THAT again!
    You may also want to discover what app is eating up your cache. I'm able to run TomTom 6 on my VZW 700p witout this error.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    How do you do this with Resco? I do not see an option to reset the DBCache.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids View Post
    How do you do this with Resco? I do not see an option to reset the DBCache.

Thanks!
    In Resco Backup (I'm using version 1.40.7) Press the Menu/Option Button, Options, Manual Backup..., Advanced, Check Flush DbCache after Backup.
    thank you sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    You may also want to discover what app is eating up your cache. I'm able to run TomTom 6 on my VZW 700p witout this error.
    In my case, Kinoma 4EX is the cache culprit. I just started using it and after an hour of playing with it (streaming clips, news, music, Google Video and so forth) i noticed that i only had 17mb of memory left, from about 38mb! I thought my eyes were deceiving me. I did a soft reset and only got back up to 23mb.
    I want my *precious* back...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I have MemeoryInfo and DB Cache Tools on my 700P. But I found the easiest way to clear DB Cache is to run the Web browser. Once you run the Web, db cache seems to get all flushed out. Running Tomtom after that should be free of DB cache error.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast